Air Force 1 Premium - New Flagship

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Realized that still a few days to go before the official launch of the Air Force 1 Premium......

Any details? Anyone? :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Realized that still a few days to go before the official launch of the Air Force 1 Premium......

Any details? Anyone? :)

Man, I'll bite on that one as well.

Jack, David or Chris any news ??

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Rumour has it --there is a deal with the Swedish SAT Arm

BruceD

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
If the Premium comes standard w/ the SAT arm.....in that case....I guess "Super Premium" is probably more accurate, if only for the price.... :)

From the picture posted so far, it seems the air suspension also got update? I can see a ring of what looks like stainless steel between the bulge of the air chamber and the main chassis...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't want to give anything away so as not to spoil the party but let me put it this way, I want one based on the features that will be introduced in due time. Sonics wise, after my experience with 1s and 2s, I have zero worries. If the sonic performance is even just equal to my present AF1, that will be plenty for me.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Is there still an Air Force Zero in development? And does this inclusion of the SAT arm effect the relationship with Graham or US distribution? Four new turntables - AF3, AF2, AF1 AF1 Premium - in such a short time is very impressive for a turntable manufacturer. I look forward to reading more about this new table.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So Jack, if someone had an AF3, would he gain more with an upgrade to AF1 keeping the Graham, or will he gain more replacing the Graham with a SAT on AF3? I would assume the latter?

maslak34

TechDAS AF1 Premium Prototype Picture.jpg

new premium.. will be in munich

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So Jack, if someone had an AF3, would he gain more with an upgrade to AF1 keeping the Graham, or will he gain more replacing the Graham with a SAT on AF3? I would assume the latter?

The Elite is no slouch by any means. Tracks like a mutha, at least with all my carts, and to me lacks nothing. The AF1 on the other hand has got a lot of stuff over it's little brother. I know very little about the SAT arm. I still prefer my Elite to my 4-Point except with a Koetsu. There are so many variables to make a conclusive statement but pushed to guess, keep the Elite and get an AF1 and be done. So says the guy about to take a serious look at a Premium! LOL!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Elite is no slouch by any means. Tracks like a mutha, at least with all my carts, and to me lacks nothing. The AF1 on the other hand has got a lot of stuff over it's little brother. I know very little about the SAT arm. I still prefer my Elite to my 4-Point except with a Koetsu. There are so many variables to make a conclusive statement but pushed to guess, keep the Elite and get an AF1 and be done. So says the guy about to take a serious look at a Premium! LOL!

What are the other carts you mainly use, for classical? And I assume with a Lamm phono? KR has not come out with a phono yet, right?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
He Ked. In my steady rotation now are a Gold Finger Statement, Lyra Atlas, and TechDAS TD Ti. All are excellent at classical music. "in the bank" are my XV-1t, MYSonic UE Be, Koetsu Jade, Transfiguration Proteus and some others like an A90. CA Titanium and some lesser ZYX's. I am using an EMT JPA-66 phono stage. I should get a CH Precision P1 in three months or so.

mikem

Mar 11, 2014

I just made such a choice.
For about the same price, I could have chosen:

1. AF2 + Elite

or

2. AF3 + Custom HRS + SAT

I chose #2.

Dealer should be here in a few weeks to install.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I just made such a choice.
For about the same price, I could have chosen:

1. AF2 + Elite

or

2. AF3 + Custom HRS + SAT

I chose #2.

Dealer should be here in a few weeks to install.

Thanks. Did you manage to compare the differences? Or is that because generally you consider tonearms a higher upgrade?

mikem

Mar 11, 2014
The latter.

From descriptions of the SAT and professional reviews posted by
Fremer and others, I felt the improvement over the Elite would
be more significant than the step up from the AF3 to the AF2.

I did attend the premier of the AF3 where the SAT was
demonstrated, with the AF1. I listened to presentations
by TechDas, SAT and Graham and heard Fremer's opinions
first-hand. I discussed the SAT with the inventor at length.

I'm pretty confident I made the right choice but I won't
hear the first record played with the combination on my system
until later this month.

Reactions: Kyle1

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I for one really like the looks of the original. The contouring and precision machining when looked at up close and especially touched makes many other tables look cobbled together. The shape also makes what is actually a massive table look compact. Best of all, I like that the complexity is hidden from view and not looking like a goldberg machine. The innards even look better than a what you see outside on display in other products.

Inner beauty

DSC00375_zpsefac4a42.jpg

DSC00369_zpsb2b0d749.jpg

DSC00368_zpsecba2f6b.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
in what way Ian?

Well this is obviously subjective and I certainly don't mean to offend anyone. I don't like the white plastic look and would prefer more 'bling' (brass, silver, chrome etc.).

Again, very subjective. I think even Fremer mentioned he liked the AF2 better than the AF1 aesthetically. When I first saw the thread about the premium, I thought it would look more impressive is all...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It doesn't look like plastic in person Ian. It looks like what it is, three layers of anodized finely CNC'd aluminum. I had my reservations when looking at the pictures but that changed when I saw it and touched it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It doesn't look like plastic in person Ian. It looks like what it is, three layers of anodized finely CNC'd aluminum. I had my reservations when looking at the pictures but that changed when I saw it and touched it.

I agree. There's no plastic in mine. It is the picture

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing