Air Force 1 Premium - New Flagship

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Um, maybe the other fellow TechDas owners are more lucky than I am, but I thought those of us lucky enough to own such fantastic equipment are more often than not... not exactly spring chicken either haha.

Personally as long as the equipment lasts longer than my hearing, I am good!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
A good acquaintance who has a long precision mechanics background and owns it told me the built quality is exemplary.

True about built quality. Not necessary true about functioning properly.

The question is why adding more box while fundamental design not change. The old controller and compressor are not as good as they should?

Oh! I would like to give small advise to the Premium owners, get the controller box off your tt rack. It vibrates! I think I heard another person on this forum mentioned about vibration before too.

Kind regards,
Tang

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
Rumour has it --there is a deal with the Swedish SAT Arm

BruceD

Just FYI, that is just a rumor, nothing else. The customer gets a new turntable with empty tonearm mount - UNLESS they have specified a particular arm. In Japan, Stella is the distributor for SME, SAT and Graham. The Air Force 'tables are meant to accept most every tonearm that's not impossible to work with or mount... (But as an aside, if you look at the instruction books, you will find [modestly speaking and well-appreciated] the Elite arm in the set-up pictures...

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
Is there still an Air Force Zero in development? And does this inclusion of the SAT arm effect the relationship with Graham or US distribution? Four new turntables - AF3, AF2, AF1 AF1 Premium - in such a short time is very impressive for a turntable manufacturer. I look forward to reading more about this new table.

As with the previous post, this also is a rumor - Frankly, rumors cause more trouble and angst, but I guess that's part of on-line posting; any opionion is considered. Happily, I'm still the Americas distributor for TechDAS, and they are still buying my tonearm for their area (over 40 pieces last year)... And not to worry: the quality of the turntables is first-rate, and should last longer than Rip Van Winkle, as will my tonearms. As for the Zero, that has continued in development, and I might just have a surprise to go with it later on.. (no promises just yet, though -) Best to all, - Bob G.

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
My new setup the AF1 PREMIUM with TITANIUM UPPER PLATTER, GRAHAM ELITE with Upgrade TITANIUM ARMWAND , ULTIMATE TUNGSTEN STABILIZER , OPUS-1 CARTRIDGE and CUSTOM HRS ISOLATION BASE :)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ba4.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_ba4.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 253

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
I can only confirmed that the GRAHAM ELITE with Upgrade TITANIUM armwand set perform much better sound quality and I don't have to go for any other Tonearm for years . Even this upgrade cost a bit high but you can save a lot compare to others much more expensive tonearm , strongly recommend !!!:):):)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ba5.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_ba5.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 245

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If you cant take anything less. Here is the new SAT arm board for the rear of AF1.

And here is a sneak peek CAD drawing of the new SATs. 12” is for the rear.

View attachment 38757

Tang

Thanks for posting Tang. It is interesting that the larger counter weight on the 12" version is not pictured as close to the arm's pivot point. I'd assume that the counterweight would be sized so that it could be as close to the pivot as possible. Of course, different weight cartridges would effect this and being further out, they would have a greater effect of the weight than they would on the 9" version. I wonder if there are different sized counter weights included with the arm to account for different cartridge weights.

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Thanks for posting Tang. It is interesting that the larger counter weight on the 12" version is not pictured as close to the arm's pivot point. I'd assume that the counterweight would be sized so that it could be as close to the pivot as possible. Of course, different weight cartridges would effect this and being further out, they would have a greater effect of the weight than they would on the 9" version. I wonder if there are different sized counter weights included with the arm to account for different cartridge weights.

Exciting! Especially love the possibility of using a 12” arm.... However, as a proud owner of the SAT arm, compared to the current arm, aside from the headshell, I am not sure if I spotted any differences from the drawings.... Maybe differences of manufacturing?

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_bc4.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_bc4.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 165
  • fullsizeoutput_bc1.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_bc1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 162
  • fullsizeoutput_ba5.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_ba5.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 162

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks!! and 2 more pictures on my new setup :)

Those are professional photographs, I love the black background, it exemplifies the turntable's magnificent and majestic beauty under that glowing gold creamy light. It's like a toffee caramelized melting the music @ the tip of the palate.

20180218_092606.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I agree Bob, these are some of the very few pictures that actually get close to showing how well finished the AF-Ps are in person.

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
Hi jack
The AF1-p do look stunning ...I am sure it sounds out of this world in tandem with the appropriate gear, especially in a well tuned system like yours in a already optimised room!.....must visit if I am anywhere in your side of town
You did suggest that the af3 -p may be a good choice for me .....it’s like you read my mind jack!!
Ideal footprint and still affordable with all the add ons
Did hear all three techdas @ Munich 2017.....did love the sound of the af3...they were playing an old burt kaempfert album, the trumpet sounded so so smooth!
Is there a permimum version for the techdas AF 3....I presume there are some major changes from the standard af 3
Cost must have also doubled
Cheers
Sam

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Price didn't double Sam :) It's got a beefier platter and beefier footers to start. I can't wait to get my hands on our demo unit. You know what happened to my AF-P right? As soon as it landed, Jim bought it LOL I opted for the functional upgrade from 1 to 1 P after that. That will be done in April. Go for the 3P! :D

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
The Update US price list posted by Bob G. in other thread here .

##################################################################
As you may know, we're building up a new website which will have lots of information and other goodies on it. But for now, here are the U.S. prices for the turntables:

AF-3 $29K
AF-3/P $36k
AF-2 $53k
AF-2/P $62k
AF-1 $105k
AF-1/P $143k (with aluminum upper platter top)
AF-1/P $162k (with titanium upper platter top)

Of note you might want to consider this: The Phatnom Elite tonearm by itself is presently $14K; however, when packaged with any of the TechDAS AF-1 turntables, a substantial discount would be offered - in the neighborhood of 50% off the arm price.. a good deal, if I do say so myself..!

Hope these numbers help...! - Bob G.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
AF1P sounds very good and involving on Scheherazade. Actually sound even a bit more weighty than tape.

Ahhhh..Ahmmm..with MSL Platinum on SAT...not Opus1 on Graham. :cool:

Tang

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
As Bob G. said , the Tonearm is one of very important part to create fantastic sound and the ELITE from Graham is really wonderful tonearm ever made for sure . The ELITE not only beautiful designed but it generate very impressive analog sound :)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_c5a.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_c5a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 173
  • fullsizeoutput_c5d.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_c5d.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 175
  • fullsizeoutput_c61.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_c61.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 171

chopchopbin

Sep 27, 2015
Hi Tang,

Amazing system and awesome sound! What equipment do you use to record the youtube video? It is extremely clear and I can even hear the sweetspot when you moves towards the center. Thanks!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tang,

Amazing system and awesome sound! What equipment do you use to record the youtube video? It is extremely clear and I can even hear the sweetspot when you moves towards the center. Thanks!

Just a Samsung S8 mobile phone sir. Its microphone is surprisingly sensitive.

Kind regards,
Tang

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Just a Samsung S8 mobile phone sir. Its microphone is surprisingly sensitive.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tang, that is impressive. What were you playing that on? It looks like that recording is only available on CD.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing