Air Force 1 Premium - New Flagship

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
That's roughly a difference of $28,000 USD in Japan

$98,556 vs $70,960 in Japan before to reaches the USA

And that's without an arm? I'm feeling REALLY good about my AF2 right now.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The AF1Ps are in full swing production. I will be leaving for Tokyo tomorrow for much needed R&R. 2016 was a very hard year for me. So much went on. Anyways, I will be visiting Stella Inc again this coming Tuesday to touch base with our friends there. I will be allowed to take some photos and will have time to discuss many things TechDAS with Nishikawa-san. If there's anything you gentlemen would like to ask him, let me know here and I will gladly pass the questions along. The AF1P knocked our collective socks off at the HK show last August, we would be Steve, Jadis, Raf D, Keith(Nephilim) and Gary.

I wish Forthwise hadn't had power problems in there room that precluded them from using Gary's towers. The Walker was very, very good too unfortunately I felt that the sound was handicapped by using emergency replacement speakers (not broken in) that I felt could not convey due to the aforementioned circumstance what the Walker and DartZeels are capable of. I have no doubt the Genesis speakers would have allowed the opposite to ring true. I digress, anyway, let me know guys. I have a lot of questions myself and the TD guys are always great to talk with despite a bit of a language barrier now and then. :)

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
I will be allowed to take some photos and will have time to discuss many things TechDAS with Nishikawa-san. If there's anything you gentlemen would like to ask him, let me know here and I will gladly pass the questions along. The AF1P knocked our collective socks off at the HK show last August, we would be Steve, Jadis, Raf D, Keith(Nephilim) and Gary.

Thanks for the offer!

As someone building up an AF1 Premium Economy :) I would like to know:
1) When will the new spindle and tungsten record weigh be made available
2) When will the upgrade scheme be announced
3) Whats the latest w/ AF0?

Thanks!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Micro, which AF1? The TD AF1 uses an AC motor powered by two 150w amplifiers and controlled by a non-servo scheme that like CA uses an optical sensor and crystal oscillators.

Jack,

My apologies, I missed your question a few months ago. The Air Force one I am addressing is my Forsell Air Force One, not the TD! The Forsell turntable had two versions - the Reference (synchronous motor with a silicone elastic belt) and the Air Force One (air bearing external large flywheel with dental floss thread, DC motor). Because the DC motor is unstable (although it sounds great when it decides to work! :) ) the flywheel was lately being driven by an external AC motor controlled by two amplifiers ...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the offer!

As someone building up an AF1 Premium Economy :) I would like to know:
1) When will the new spindle and tungsten record weigh be made available
2) When will the upgrade scheme be announced
3) Whats the latest w/ AF0?

Thanks!

Will surely ask for you Matt. Where are you by the way, in case the rollout of the upgrade programs will be staggered across regions?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack,

My apologies, I missed your question a few months ago. The Air Force one I am addressing is my Forsell Air Force One, not the TD! The Forsell turntable had two versions - the Reference (synchronous motor with a silicone elastic belt) and the Air Force One (air bearing external large flywheel with dental floss thread, DC motor). Because the DC motor is unstable (although it sounds great when it decides to work! :) ) the flywheel was lately being driven by an external AC motor controlled by two amplifiers ...

No problemo F :) I inferred that a while back :)

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
AF-1 Premiuim availablity

The AF1Ps are in full swing production. I will be leaving for Tokyo tomorrow for much needed R&R. 2016 was a very hard year for me. So much went on. Anyways, I will be visiting Stella Inc again this coming Tuesday to touch base with our friends there. I will be allowed to take some photos and will have time to discuss many things TechDAS with Nishikawa-san. If there's anything you gentlemen would like to ask him, let me know here and I will gladly pass the questions along. The AF1P knocked our collective socks off at the HK show last August, we would be Steve, Jadis, Raf D, Keith(Nephilim) and Gary.

I wish Forthwise hadn't had power problems in there room that precluded them from using Gary's towers. The Walker was very, very good too unfortunately I felt that the sound was handicapped by using emergency replacement speakers (not broken in) that I felt could not convey due to the aforementioned circumstance what the Walker and DartZeels are capable of. I have no doubt the Genesis speakers would have allowed the opposite to ring true. I digress, anyway, let me know guys. I have a lot of questions myself and the TD guys are always great to talk with despite a bit of a language barrier now and then. :)

Just a footnote to all this: According to my latest correspondence from Stella, the AF-1 Premium production has shifted slightly, and that ordered units (including one for me) will start to ship the first of this year. No exact date is scheduled yet, but it will probably be soon. If it's available by Axpona time, you may be able to see it there, along with a Premium-type upgrade to the Elite tonearm (retrofittable, naturally). Stay tuned for more on all that. Also, we're working with a new website developer to bring out ancient page up to date, and all pertinent news will then be available there, as well.. - Bob Graham

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yup. No exact date for mine either Bob only that we belong to the first batch. I'm hoping ours will make it here by February.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sure, why not. You big market teams gotta give us little guys some kind of spread though! :D

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Will surely ask for you Matt. Where are you by the way, in case the rollout of the upgrade programs will be staggered across regions?

I am based in Hong Kong at the moment. A while ago I asked forthwise to check (um... A few times hehe) and I haven't checked recently. I happen to have the titanium upper platter and I think the tungsten weight will probably be the perfect match....

Thanks!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ah Hong Kong, you should be at the very top of the list along with Singapore. The three companies have been very close for many, many years from the Cello days. I'll ask anyway :)

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Had the Premium set up with my existing titanium platter last night. Only had a brief listen but the improvements are obvious. On a high level things are little changed, but the sound is more delicate, more nuanced, and more dynamic. Ultimately, it sounded organic. The more I listened, the more satisfied that I made the right choice. To be honest, I was expecting the combined new functions and sound quality upgrade may justified the cost, but now I think the sound quality alone is worth the upgrade.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Had the Premium set up with my existing titanium platter last night.

Amazingly, there is already a new version of Premium.... now with an extra air condenser box, which looks just like the condenser box from the orginal AF1, making the Premium a 4-piece affair. According to a Jadis sales, the air bladder in the feet are also larger and there were some changes to the electronics.

The sad part.... according the to new Hong Kong dealer Jadis, the original AF1P can NOT be upgraded to the latest version.... as a die hard TechDas fan.... not impressed at all.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Amazingly, there is already a new version of Premium.... now with an extra air condenser box, which looks just like the condenser box from the orginal AF1, making the Premium a 4-piece affair.

The sad part.... according the to new Hong Kong dealer Jadis, the original AF1P can NOT be upgraded to the latest version.... as a die hard TechDas fan.... not impressed at all.

I give them five pieces and it would still be just an AF1 plus a few more pennies of changes.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I'm in that camp. That said I worry about future reliability and service of this "Complex" designed TT with "many" different electronic parts and seals/bladders that could fail at some point. Will Stella be there for us ? With every iteration of the AF1, it gets more complex...more service worry. That is why I took a step back from the latest technology into the world of TT design simplicity as an alternative to my AF1 standard. It was a good move. I like having both knowing one is for life...the other, not so sure.

Gardener

Sep 23, 2017
I'm in that camp. That said I worry about future reliability and service of this "Complex" designed TT with "many" different electronic parts and seals/bladders that could fail at some point. Will Stella be there for us ? With every iteration of the AF1, it gets more complex...more service worry. That is why I took a step back from the latest technology into the world of TT design simplicity as an alternative to my AF1 standard. It was a good move. I like having both knowing one is for life...the other, not so sure.

Never had any problems with my AF1
Probably the most reliable turntable I have ever had
You used to like the design didn't you ?
Ive had nothing but great service from Techdas

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

As far as I have seen TechDas is owned by the largest Japanese high-end distributor - it seems to me that there is no reason for your fears. A good acquaintance who has a long precision mechanics background and owns it told me the built quality is exemplary.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Never had any problems with my AF1
Probably the most reliable turntable I have ever had
You used to like the design didn't you ?
Ive had nothing but great service from Techdas

Either have I...what about 10 years from now ? Will Nishakawa-San still be doing this ? He is not a spring chicken. At some point the seals and air bladders will have to be replaced.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest

Yikes C...really?

Besides, Spring Chickens, well, they lack experience...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing