Sonore's microrendu is out - the first audiophile microcomputer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you want data, don't you think it is the best to ask them directly? If they can't provide, feel free not to buy this product. Given that the motherboard is customized, no fan and off the shelf nosiy switching power supply, it is very hard to imagine that it is noiser than a general purpose computer crunching intensive calculations. How much better I am not sure.
But that is not the metric that determines audio fidelity. Imagine two scenarios:

1. A very busy computer with tons and tons of activity. And let's assume this bleeds into the audio output channel in some manner. The very busy and highly chaotic manner of the computer activity will appear as noise whether induced as jitter or noise alone. So your digital system may go from having 100 db S/N to say, 90 db S/N.

2. A very quiet computer that services different tasks such as receiving packet traffic over Ethernet, USB service interrupts, system timer, etc. All of these events will be in 100s to 1000s of times/sec -- right in the audible band! And without noise to mask them, you will have correlated distortion that is far, far more audible that pure noise. A 100 db S/N ratio with spikes that rise up 10 db will be worse than system #1.

What you want for audio hardware is a system that has constant load and hence constant/random imprint on its audio interface. A quiet system with jumps in activity is the opposite of that.

This is all of course assumes there is such bleeding into the audio interface. With good USB input on a DAC, these differences vanish to levels well below audibility.

BTW, making things small is often the enemy of making things good. With small size, components get placed together and more noise bleeds/couples into adjacent component. I for example cringe at the Ethernet Jack being so close to USB on this device. Why did it need to be so small? Did they start with Raspberry Pi or some other platform like it???

Of course, human nature being what it is, will lead one to think that this little box must be more quiet and hence, that is what is heard subjectivity. We need data to get past that bias so that we can evaluate the device fairly.

I will go ahead and buy one to measure but I sure like to see the manufacturer offer such measurements. If they have it but requires us asking, there is something wrong there.

Again, this may be a good/superior solution. The discussion here is to not give benefit of doubt that goes against how the technology works.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wrong. The fundamental purpose is to be able to crunch data while maximising signal-to-noise ratio in your system.

If you just want to crunch data without paying particular attention to SQ, then use any computer or any SBC depending on the configuration.

You will never be able to persuade those who think that current digital implementations are perfect according to their own metrics of the benefit of such devices. However those, as me and most WBF members, who believe that the sound quality of CD is still perfectible, cab be very interested in your and others opinions about its sound quality and your evaluations. Thanks for bringing the subject to this forum. IMHO it seems a very interesting device - solving the problems of the digital interface closer to the DAC seems a cost effective and engaging option. But now we must wait for the devices!

BTW, considering the excellent signal to noise ratios of current digital implementations, IMHO signal to noise ratio is not a good indicator of digital subjective sound quality.

Do you think that this device will have drivers to connect to a Devialet?

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wrong. The fundamental purpose is to be able to crunch data while maximising signal-to-noise ratio in your system.
Signal to noise ratio is an objective metric. So hopefully that data will be coming our way to validate the device.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I really don't understand why someone who wants to make this forum aware of a potential new and exciting product is being treated in the way this individual is being treated.

IMHO, on the surface, Amir's posts come across to me of being disrespectful at best and accusatory / over critical at worse.

Why the attitude Amir?

This forum is supposed to be fun and not become someone's personal battleground.

I don't get it. :eek:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I'm gonna evaluate it in my system. Amir's findings (or the lack of) isn't gonna change my mind one bit. Over the years, I have learned to trust my ears.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm gonna evaluate it in my system. Amir's findings (or the lack of) isn't gonna change my mind one bit. Over the years, I have learned to trust my ears.

Good for you, Adam. Please let us all know your impressions.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Great! Are you going to listen to it with the Trinity DAC?

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
I really don't understand why someone who wants to make this forum aware of a potential new and exciting product is being treated in the way this individual is being treated.

IMHO, on the surface, Amir's posts come across to me of being disrespectful at best and accusatory / over critical at worse.

Why the attitude Amir?

This forum is supposed to be fun and not become someone's personal battleground.

I don't get it. :eek:
Fun... Only for certain people and products.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

Here, here! Yes interested in your impressions irrespective of other noise on this thread. I, for one, am fairly sure that electrical noise from computers getting into connected digital audio devices is the main source of SQ degradation & tackling such noise sources at source makes a lot of sense. AFAIK, the microrendu uses linear regulators instead of DC-DC converters as most motherboards do. I suspect this accounts for a significant element of such electrical noise as when I & others have replaced such motherboard buck converters with battery power the improvement in sonics was palpable. There are some other tweaks I have gleaned have been applied inside the microrendu along the lines of special care with USB signal handling & again I know from my own experiments that the quality of the USB signal seems to be a significant factor in SQ.

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
Here, here! Yes interested in your impressions irrespective of other noise on this thread
The initial impressions are very positive and the concept ticks off all the right boxes. This is a product built by people who know what they are doing... Guess this bothers some individuals. smh...

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
The initial impressions are very positive and the concept ticks off all the right boxes. This is a product built by people who know what they are doing... Guess this bothers some individuals. smh...

Yes, I wish I knew everything like my betters do & then I could make definitive statements but I am trapped by feelings of my own fallibility & must equivocate & rely on my senses & gut instinct to guide me through this world.
Oh, why is life so cruel?

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Who does it bother? If it does what it says, it would be wonderful. Why would anyone complain?

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
Who does it bother? If it does what it says, it would be wonderful. Why would anyone complain?
Amir,
You comments are a bit curious, I do not think this is the measurement forum... Why the push back? Do not see this on other discussions. You mentioned you were going to get one to measure, but did not mention listening to it. What's wrong with this picture...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,
You comments are a bit curious, I do not think this is the measurement forum... Why the push back? Do not see this on other discussions. You mentioned you were going to get one to measure, but did not mention listening to it. What's wrong with this picture...
Well, it just happens that I know what goes into these products. I implemented the first TCP/IP networking stack 30 years ago. Anytime I see an Ethernet connection on a device and someone says "quiet and audiophile" I cringe. Big time. There is a ton of code executed on behalf of every packet of traffic coming in. Computer architecture is my expertise -- both hardware and software. So I chime in when I hear people with less experience creating technical theories as to why they have accomplished this and that which goes against how things actually work.

Remember, they didn't build this product and just said it sounds better. They say they did X, Y and Z and that results in technical improvements. If so, then there should be before/after measurements that show these technical improvements. If there aren't any, and they are throwing these technologies into the product to make it sell better, then I will chime in to say "wait a second."

Some 15 years ago when I was at Microsoft, my group acquire Pacific Microsonics (makers of HDCD). I then had the pleasure of having "Professor" Keith Johnson report to me as a consultant for a year or so. I remember having him in my office and asked him what can we do in PCs to make them sound better. He said, "always have them do something; never stop and start."

Now read back what I said a page or two on why you don't want to have a computer that is "quiet" but then jumps up here and there to do something.

My question back to you is why is this bothersome to you? You rather know less about how technology works?

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
Well, it just happens that I know what goes into these products. I implemented the first TCP/IP networking stack 30 years ago. Anytime I see an Ethernet connection on a device and someone says "quiet and audiophile" I cringe. Big time. There is a ton of code executed on behalf of every packet of traffic coming in. Computer architecture is my expertise -- both hardware and software. So I chime in when I hear people with less experience creating technical theories as to why they have accomplished this and that which goes against how things actually work.

Remember, they didn't build this product and just said it sounds better. They say they did X, Y and Z and that results in technical improvements. If so, then there should be before/after measurements that show these technical improvements. If there aren't any, and they are throwing these technologies into the product to make it sell better, then I will chime in to say "wait a second."

Some 15 years ago when I was at Microsoft, my group acquire Pacific Microsonics (makers of HDCD). I then had the pleasure of having "Professor" Keith Johnson report to me as a consultant for a year or so. I remember having him in my office and asked him what can we do in PCs to make them sound better. He said, "always have them do something; never stop and start."

Now read back what I said a page or two on why you don't want to have a computer that is "quiet" but then jumps up here and there to do something.

My question back to you is why is this bothersome to you? You rather know less about how technology works?
Thanks for you opinion... Everyone can learn new things, even you. :)

As for me...

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

So let's examine your scenario, Amir & start with a question:
- If the PS network that supports the computer hardware is designed to inject negligible reactive noise on the motherboard's ground plane, does your scenario still hold? (In other words it handles transient current draws without kicking back noise into the ground)

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
So let's examine your scenario, Amir & start with a question:
- If the PS network that supports the computer hardware is designed to inject negligible reactive noise on the motherboard's ground plane, does your scenario still hold? (In other words it handles transient current draws without kicking back noise into the ground)

So, I guess the answer is no, then. For a start, the idea of keeping a modern high-powered computer constantly busy is both a foolish & wasteful goal. I can see the reason for it - to keep current demands as constant as possible (because each transient current demand causes a spike of noise on the ground plane) but this is a foolish goal considering the way standard operating systems control their own scheduling & interrupts. It's foolish to think that this random & uncontrollable current demand profile is going to be somehow changed by swamping it with a high processor load.

This thinking admits to the fact that current demands cause noise injection but fails to address the issue head-on by designing a power distribution network which is non-reactive & injects little or no noise into the motherboard ground plane when servicing transient current demands.

Furthermore a recognition of where this noise is of critical importance to computer audio & an attempt to isolate the ground plane of this area from any unavoidable noise injection I would imagine is part of the MicroRendu design approach.

Last edited:

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
So, I guess the answer is no, then. For a start, the idea of keeping a modern high-powered computer constantly busy is both a foolish & wasteful goal. I can see the reason for it - to keep current demands as constant as possible (because each transient current demand causes a spike of noise on the ground plane) but this is a foolish goal considering the way standard operating systems control their own scheduling & interrupts. It's foolish to think that this random & uncontrollable current demand profile is going to be somehow changed by swamping it with a high processor load.

This thinking admits to the fact that current demands cause noise injection but fails to address the issue head-on by designing a power distribution network which injects little or no noise into the motherboard ground plane. Furthermore a recognition of where this noise is of critical importance to computer audio & an attempt to isolate the ground plane of this area from any unavoidable noise injection I would imagine is part of the MicroRendu design approach.
Makes perfect sense John. The key word is foolish IMO, and some people would rather not think of themselves as fools.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Makes perfect sense John. The key word is foolish IMO, and some people would rather not think of themselves as fools.

It really is just a case of following the reasoning behind Keith Johnson's suggestion with a logic that considers the cause of the problem & the best approach to treating it correctly at source rather than trying to cover up a water leak by flooding the area with water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing