Sonore's microrendu is out - the first audiophile microcomputer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I'm waiting (with, to be honest, some anticipation) to see how you avoid answering this question.

First you state this "do you have any commercial interest in products such as Regen? Our forum rules require such disclosure"
This is a thread about MicroRendu - what has Regen got to do with it?
Show me the WBF forum rules which require this?
You stated on ASR that you were "confident of my sources that say you are working on bringing out a product of your own in this category" so you tell me what products I'm working on, Amir

I think you sum it up best yourself

Dodging it again

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You specifically stated here & not on ASR "I have managed the development of full computer system including design of VLSIs that go in them."
So back up your claims here & show you have the engineering chops to state that John S theory is flawed or not
Again John, you are an IT person. How would you remotely be able to judge my and John's hardware expertise? Reading stuff online would not at all prepare you to understand any such answers. You don't even know how to ask the questions properly. It would be like you trying to challenge Steve that he is not a qualified doctor compared to some other doctor.

As I said, I would love, love, love to take you on because I know you well. I know how you debate. I know your skill level. And I know it would be fun to do take you on :). But as a site co-owner, I just don't want to take this thread down into the gutter this way.

If you really want me to do it here, get Steve to bless it and I will do that against my better judgement of what is best for the forum.

You are wrong about your arguments anyway as I pointed out to you: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/introductions-anyone.65/

"My day time career though was managing hardware and software development of computer system. As much as I loved computers, I wanted a way to get into audio as a profession some how. Went to work for Sony but that turned out to be managing design and development of operating system and computer hardware down to chip level."

No different than what I have said here.

Again, trying to deny what you said here " A flawed theory" So tell us how the theory is flawed, not it's implementation - you know, educate us about ground bounce & ground noise.
He had two theories:

1. That a degraded USB signal causes the receiver to ask for retransmission of USB data. Therefore he thought by strengthening the USB signal through a Hub chip, would help. Well, that is not remotely a problem with our short USB connections. Data gets to our USB devices just fine, thank you very much. When I met with John, I asked him how often that was happening and he said it was not because it looks like newer USB silicon does not do this anyway.

2. The general lay notion that less activity is better. I explained to him that a periodic 8 Khz timer event is far more harmful than tons of activity because the former will stick out like a sore thumb in the forum 8 Khz jitter, or reference modulation and hence be more audible. Whereas random activity would just raise the noise floor which published listening tests show to be far, far less audible. Of course, both of these assume that such things are a) improved though his device (which they are not) and b) are passed through by the DAC. Without having measurement equipment he would simply be in the dark with no means of seeing if his theories are right.

Audio Precision was at the show and he and his partner talked to them about buying a new. But when they found out even discounted price is $25,000, they said they could not remotely afford it. And that was that.

Actually that was not that. I offered to do the testing for them to fix the new distortions they were adding to USB. They said that would be hard since John lives in Silicon Valley and I am in Seattle. I told them my offer stood if they ever wanted to take advantage of it.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I fail to understand why there is so much drama.

Seems like the "contestants" have drilled down to the center of the earth and are now proceeding back up to the surface on the other side.

Why does this have to happen so often? :confused:

PS: Did someone just delete Steve's latest post? :eek:

Antoine

Jun 17, 2013
The Netherlands
A receiver asking for retransmission of USB data!? There's no such thing in isochronous USB, if anyone knows that it's John Swenson. Looks like things are being made up/wrongly interpreted/translated.

This is an awful thread on a really interesting device and I don't blame the proponents of this device. I'll stay away from it and this forum.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing