Breast cancer: important genetic milestone reached?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I like this kind of news! "Scientists say they now have a near-perfect picture of the genetic events that cause breast cancer."

We can't make enough progress against Cancer. Having lost my mother to it, I am really appreciative of you bringing these medical news to us Ack. I am hopeful in my lifetime we crack the code on various forms of cancer.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I wouldn't get as excited as the article leads one to believe. They have been "on the brink of curing cancer" for over 50 years.

The skeptic in me says they found some answers to things they knew they didn't know before, and that's progress.

NOW, they need to find the answers to what they DON'T KNOW they DIDN'T KNOW and it will probably be q good while before they can put what they recently discovered into practice.

Progress takes place, but it is S-L-O-W.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
5 or more whorl finger prints is statistically as significant for breast cancer as a positive mammogram... figure that one out.

Number one thing that helps prevent it? There's a something like 87% reduction in chances of breast cancer if the woman has ever stopped ovulating in her life, for any reason at all. It's not clear for how long, probably at least two weeks.

Our approach to "cure" is confused because the reality is that there isn't anything simple about cancer and why it happens. It's not an on/off switch that's so easy to use...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I wouldn't get as excited as the article leads one to believe. They have been "on the brink of curing cancer" for over 50 years.

The skeptic in me says they found some answers to things they knew they didn't know before, and that's progress.

NOW, they need to find the answers to what they DON'T KNOW they DIDN'T KNOW and it will probably be q good while before they can put what they recently discovered into practice.

Progress takes place, but it is S-L-O-W.

As a biochemist I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment. That's how science works.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I would agree as well; the article does point out, though, that drugs based on newly gained knowledge is at least 10 years away...which means that figuring out what to do with newly gained knowledge is a whole different problem of its own.

And sorry to hear about your mother Amir

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Ack.

I am of course not at all skilled in medical science. From what I read and watch though, it seems that the rate of progress is increasing as of late. Computational power is coming into play allowing faster progress than ever before. Is my lay impression wrong in this regard?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing