I want to know that priority order of R2R, NOS, No Filter, Descrete for best DAC.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
I manage business PC-FI and Mid-FI (under $1700) products selling.

This time, I'll release innovative active speakers that used Accuton mid-woofer, mid price AMT Tweeter, Full Mundorf Network and price is 1399.

Next I want to make DAC that used upper itemss.

Because of its price is under $800, it is impossible that all items iis used.

So I need to know about the priority.

Please reply~~~

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sounds like knock-offs. Why on earth would anyone here want to help you?

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
I'd say NOS is going to be high priority (for tonality, going OS tends to grey out the sound) and having a real reconstruction filter helps with compatibility. Discrete reconstruction filter normally will beat opamp, though passive is also cool. Don't use an opamp stage beyond the passive filter though, use discretes. At $800 its hardly going to have the budget for PCM1704s, but PCM1702 is considerably cheaper and might suit.

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
NOS + R2R: while the cost of the components is low enough, one needs to spend endless hours matching/measuring resistors in the ladder networks, or else the sound will be degraded. One well know NOS Dac mfr. has been at it for several years without a release due to this. It is my understanding they had to build a new kind of measuring instrument and source their own quite expensive resistors. Existing entry-level SS (non-NOS) dacs are already quite good and widely available at pretty low prices. I have a nuts and bolts, non-NOS USB Dac,the Wavelength Proton, and it costs around $500. I am very happy with it.

IgorSwwt

May 4, 2016
Anyone can build a NOS R2R DAC for relatively cheap these days. Making it sound good is the expensive part!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing