Best Shielded IC's

andy_c

Sep 24, 2010
www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org
I'm assuming you're talking RCA connectors here?

The Canare LV-77s is double-shielded and has a stranded center conductor. It should work well in a shielding sense. It's the equivalent of Belden 8281F.

You can get completed cable assemblies in custom lengths using the Canare cable from Blue Jeans Cables. They also use the Canare crimp-type connectors. I have no affiliation with them. The crimp-type connectors bring the shield out all the way to the connector mating plane, so they don't require a pigtail as many solder-type RCAs do. This improves shielding and also makes them suitable for video or S/PDIF usage.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
I'm assuming you're talking RCA connectors here?

The Canare LV-77s is double-shielded and has a stranded center conductor. It should work well in a shielding sense. It's the equivalent of Belden 8281F.

You can get completed cable assemblies in custom lengths using the Canare cable from Blue Jeans Cables. They also use the Canare crimp-type connectors. I have no affiliation with them. The crimp-type connectors bring the shield out all the way to the connector mating plane, so they don't require a pigtail as many solder-type RCAs do. This improves shielding and also makes them suitable for video or S/PDIF usage.
Andy,
these seem to be for video!!! Also I think they will be too stiff.

Jay

andy_c

Sep 24, 2010
www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org
They'll work equally well for audio. But the reverse is not true - audio-only cables may not work properly for video because the characteristic impedance of the cable is not controlled. The LV-77s cables are said to be quite flexible, not like your typical video cable (which has solid-core center conductor). To find out more, see these links:

Hum Rejection in Unbalanced Audio Cables

Digital Cables and Analog Cables--What's the Difference?

The key element for hum rejection in cables is how low the series resistance of the shield is per foot. The LV-77s is a bout the lowest available.

Edit: It looks like Belden makes a more flexible version of the double-shielded cable - Belden 1694F. But Blue Jeans apparently doesn't offer these.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing