400RS driver board update?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
In the 30SV thread, we discussed the new custom JFETs replacing the old NPD5566. The same 5566 are in the 400RS driver boards, and it seems to me they would be due for an upgrade. Anyone heard anything about this?

Makes one wonder... is there a 400SV in the works?

Attachments

• 400RS-driver-board-2.JPG
    400RS-driver-board-2.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 183

lydon

Jul 9, 2011
Funny you should mention it. It has been close to four years since our beloved 400RS mono blocks have come out. I've been waiting all this time for a MkII to arrive, I suspect this may be it. Also, I noticed that the price just went up $1000.00 from their $14k price on Overture's website. I double checked with Music Lovers in Berkeley but they couldn't account for the sudden spike in price. Either way it's a very nice development. Cheers

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So the pair is up $2000 to $30K. Not surprising, considering inflation and higher cost of production.

lydon

Jul 9, 2011
Ack,
In retrospect, I think this isn't the MkII or SV I've been anticipating but is likely the up tick in performance you wrote about in your late model 30SS S2, like a year before the 30SV became available. In any event, I do believe that should a bonafide successor to the 400RS show up in the next 2 years or so; it will carry a $3-5k jump in price. So I'm thinking $18-20k per channel.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Perhaps... I sincerely hope any new driver board is retrofittable to our amps, but... On the other hand, perhaps the output devices aren't as fast as to even merit updated drivers, in which case, a whole new amp would have to be built to improve performance. In other words, the slowest part of the chain here today could well be the output devices. What we have, I think, is more performant than the late 30SS S2 I had, considering the new levels the 30SV has pushed these amps to.

lydon

Jul 9, 2011
Right, I recall on the subject of amplifiers, you felt that the role of these output devices are of such great importance that their consideration supercedes our choice in speakers and/or pre-amps. But now, we have the pre calling the shots, as it should. With the amplification system locked in, like both having the same slew rate, perhaps more power output and audio Nirvana gets just a bit closer. Now with a Phonestage and DAC just around the corner, life as a Spectral owner is all that much sweeter.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing