The home of Anubis.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Well... Looking into where to set the crossover point and how steep the filter should be. But my research on the www just confuse me. So have to go the long and winding road of try and fail.
Some guys in a norwegian forum saus to try between 300-350 with 24 or 48db filter.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Off to get the Exasound dac from the post office now. The plan is to do the crossover settings, delay and EQ in Jriver. Then use the 8 channel Exasound dac. Might use the dac as volume controll also. Have to se what Sounds best. Volume control in Jriver or Exasound.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Love this thread. So typical of those of us who are really into this [strike]addiction[/strike] hobby. While I have never decided to "quit" I have made other similar decisions - and ended up with a more complex (but much better) system. He is clearly "one of us"!!

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Really dont know why this happend.
Those bass boxes are not mine, not yet anyway. Im just looking after them for a friend. While he tryes his luck in Australia.

But if i get them to play together with the Kharma in a way that give me better sound I might just buy them.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
So got the Exasound dac on saturday and got up and running in about 10min. I use Jriver mediacenter to do all the crossovers, EQ, delay and routing.

My first go was with crossover point at 250hz tryed all the filters but it didn't sound right.
Moved the crossover to 300hz, 350hz, 400hz and down to 100hz in 50hz steps.

Before this I placed the bass boxes where they meassure the flattest. And Moved the Kharma speaker to where the flattest respons was.

After some hours i settled in for 300hz 24db filters on the Kharma and bassboxes.

But could not get it quite right. All leveling is done in the Exasound. Mutch easyer than in Jriver.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
320hz karma subb 300  24db deling.jpg

Here is the crossover point. With the Kharma and bassboxes at 300hz 24db
No EQ here yet.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Tryed some more for a few hours and got something that looked like this.

FREKVENS NY PLASSERIMG.jpg

FREKVENS NY PLASSERIMG.jpg
VANNFALL.jpg

Here I have moved the speakers and bassboxes aprox 30cm towards the front wall. And I also hooked on the SVS tube subs. Crossover point at 60hz 48db. The bassboxes has the same crossover points.
I also have 2Eq points here. 40hz and 80hz. Witch is set to the svs subs.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
So how does this sound. Well I really like metal from the 70s-80s. Black Sabbath, Metallica, Dreamtheater, Disturbed, Nightwish and so on. But also like, and listen to more soft music, Nora Jones feks.

The Kharma + bassboxes + SVS give me foot as we say in Norway. The new album from Metallica, make my foot go. The energy is Great and I start singing along. Airguitar and airdrums comes automaticly. This is really fun.

Over to softer musikk, music with better sound quality, no so compressed
This is something else, it still Sounds good, but everything sound a bit muddled. So turned off bassboxes and svs and let the Kharma play fullrange, and pow the detail ariyness, was back, the Kharma is really a good speaker. But there is almost nothing under 50hz in my room. Steep rolloff there because of placement.

So I have some more tweaking to do. Or maybe the ceramic woofers of the Kharma is that mutch bettersounding than the 18 inch woofers from Fatial.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
300HZ is REALLY high for a crossover to subs. I'm not surprised it sound muddled. Try crossing over MUCH lower.

I would say.. much lower ... down around 100 Hz and apply if needed an house curve but 300 Hz is too high by most metrics.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Have been busy with other things for the last week or so. We are Thinking of moving from House to flat. Im also looking at valve amp to go with the Kharmas. Still the ASR / KHARMA duo really works for me, but curious of what valve amps can do.

Have had hybrid valve amps before. But still, this is New for me.

Any ideas of what amps i could look for? The Kharma is "flat" 8 ohm impedans, and 89db/1w.
The room is 740cm x 480cm i sit just under 300cm from the speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Have been busy with other things for the last week or so. We are Thinking of moving from House to flat. Im also looking at valve amp to go with the Kharmas. Still the ASR / KHARMA duo really works for me, but curious of what valve amps can do.

Have had hybrid valve amps before. But still, this is New for me.

Any ideas of what amps i could look for? The Kharma is "flat" 8 ohm impedans, and 89db/1w.
The room is 740cm x 480cm i sit just under 300cm from the speakers.

I think Mike Lavigne had Kharmas with Tenor monoblocks (350s?)...tremendously good sound by reputation. I believe the company was restructured many years ago, so just make sure you know what vintage you are buying if 2nd hand. If new, just make sure the new company is reliable and stable...i personally have not followed it so it may be perfectly fine.

The quality of their sound has not been in question...perhaps PM Mike who is a member here.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Thanks for the replay. Might just send him a pm. Not many here in Norway with Kharma. Really love these speakers.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Well, all good things must come to an end. After having had the Kharmas for some time I got bored with how they sounded. I also missed my surround system since I love watching movies, so sold my Kharma. Sold my asr emitter and got in the following speakers and amplifiers.

Triangle Genese Quartet LE
Triangle Genese Voce
Triangle Celius ESW
Triangle Antal ESW
Triangle Khos es 2 pairs

Marantz SR7010
Rotel RB993
Marantz pm11s3
The Pm11s3 is going to get picked up after work today.

Have had the speakers for almost two weeks now. And the SR7010. This combo really surprices me. Have lost a little detail and sutch. But this playes music. Cant wait to get the pm11s3 in. I now know why I missed the Triangle so mutch.

So went from 2 channel til full 7.2.4 atmos Cinema. And really loving it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am not surprised. Atmos and Auro 3d is tough to beat

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Have been working on getting the best bass from speakers and subwoofers. Got it quite right now. And loving every second I have time to sit in the sweetspot.

Was Thinking of adding some pictures here. But how do I do that? Cant see any direct upload.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Have been working on getting the best bass from speakers and subwoofers. Got it quite right now. And loving every second I have time to sit in the sweetspot.

Was Thinking of adding some pictures here. But how do I do that? Cant see any direct upload.

When you hit Reply or Reply with Quote...you will see a series of icons directly above where you type your comments. Third one from the right is the image upload icon. You must have your images already saved somewhere on your computer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing