The home of Anubis.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Well this is what happend. I planed to downgrade the system. This was because we're moving from a housr to a flat. The house is to big for us and we want to live in the city because of the helth issues of the wife. She uses wheelchair and living in the city will make things easyer for us. So have sold the Bryston 7B's, the Belcanto pre amplifier, and workimg on selling the bass towers. The speakers are sold.

So on the amplifier part i' ve gone from 3 boxes down to One. Hoping for a sale on the bass towers soon. witch will take away 2 more boxes and the huge towers. Cant bring them into a small flat.

Anyways, i have to be able to play music. So I got in a new secondhand integrated amplifier and a new pair of speakers the wife likes. Have had the speakers before and I like them too. The speakers can BW placed in the flats livingroom when that time come. Also the New amplifier and the New dac can be placed there.

So the system is gjetting smeller, but the sound got better. I now listen to music more than before. Maybe a better match...?

The amplifier is the Simaudio Moon Evolution I600. A fantastic amplifier. Really really like what it does with the Triangle Genese Lyrr, the new speakers. The dac i now use is the Nuprime Dac 10. What a dac! I also have a Bryston 2B SST2 witch I will try using on the low frequenzys of the Lyrr to see if that does anything positive to the sound in biamp configuration. Not shure that will work, but have to test it out.

The funny thing is. The system has got smaller, i don't use the basstowers. But i cant see I'm missing out on anything. 95% of my music is played on instruments like guitar. Piano horn instruments and so on. The last octave where the hiphop, drum & bass, Electronica goes down. Stands for 5% of the music. It sounds ok for that type of music to. But i cant get my sofa to jump when that deepest bass come in anymore.

So Im quite pleased with the outcome of this

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I'm sorry to read about your wife's health problems.

On the other hand, I'm glad to read that your sound is getting better and that you're even listening more.

I have heard a lot of good feedback on Sim Audio. In fact I have never heard of any negative comments on Sim Audio.

Enjoy your audio hobby in good health and I hope your wife's health improves.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
She's in good shape, its the legs that dont work to well. Something she was born with. problems to send the nerve signal past the glutemus...

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Well. The Simaudio I600 really is quite a fantastic amplifier. And it looks really really good.

But I also have an Bryston 2B SST2 I've been trying to sell, but here in Norway people just dont know about the brand. So I had to try hooking that up. Just to hear what happend to the sound.

First I used the I600 as an preamp, letting the Bryston power the speakers all by itself.

Witch didn't sound bad at all. But the focus seemed to go down in frequenzy. Great bass and midbass. A sligthly dampend mid and a soft but still airy top. Really great for rock and grunge music.

But had to try bianping. Simaudio I600 to the high terninals and Bryston on the low terninals.

Back came the airy and very transparent top. And with the Bryston driving the speakers woofers the bass came out with that ekstra omf. Seemes that this hookup is worth trying out some more. Not shure that this is how the system will be. But absolutely worth trying

If anyone know the output voltage from the Simaudio I600 preout, I really would like to know. Since the Bryston has a 1v and 2v input.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Well.. Back to Simaudio Moon I600 as amp til my Triangle speakers. Didn't get the sound right with the two amplifiers.

Have been whatcing some movies lately in two channel mode. And really missed the sound all around me. So in came a secondhand Pioneer Sc Lx 83 and 5 klipsch B3.

New pull down screen will be picked up this weekend. So a small Cinema with 9.1 channel will be up and running next week.

But I cant decide if I will hookup front wide or front hight speakers.

Any suggestions?

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
If anyone reads this thread and knows where I can find a teatre sign like this
images.jpg
But with Pioneer instead of True HD
.. I would be very happy.

zog

Oct 8, 2013
I am in a small room (no not a prison cell), yet I get a big sound. Going smaller will be a loss but it is only one factor in many other elements of Hi Fidelity (Accuracy of the soundstage, as distinct from its width; Height and depth of soundstage; Timbrel accuracy; Dynamic range. Ok you have to make a big adjustment. Not good but I myself would treat this as a new adventure (we all love an adventure, right?) and not be negatively concerned. The entire British Hi-Fi scene is built on small rooms.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The original system looked great, Peter! I think your DIY subwoofers look amazing! Four 12" drivers per tower will certainly do the bass job.

But I am delighted for you that you are finding that the new system, while smaller, sounds better!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I feel like I've had leg pulled, believing you were basically getting out of audio, from the earlier post.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I feel like I've had leg pulled, believing you were basically getting out of audio, from the earlier post.

Audiophilia is only programmed to receive. You can check out any time you like but you can never leave

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Well, the plan was to downsize do to plans to move from house to flat. That didn't happen. Så I couldn't leave.

Have had a dream of having Marten Bird in my room since the first time I heard them. So when a pair came out on the secondhand market, I just went for them.

The svs tubes are going to be used for playback of movies. Maybe for music from about 45-50hz. Witch brings me to a question. where should I place the svs?

In the front two corners?
At 1/3 in from the sidewall?
In oposite corners at back and front wall?
Suggestions?

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Not the thread with the most activity no..
If anyone is interested I will post pictures and graphs along the way to get the subs and speakers to sing along the best way.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Of course, please share your experience in placing the subs and speakers. Due to differences in rooms and construction, it's almost impossible for someone to tell you exactly where to place them. One of the hardest efforts in this audio hobby!!!

Lee

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Yes that is true
Will post pictures and graphs. I have some experience in sub calibration.

One can read all the theory. But practical is almost always better

Will post graphs on all normal placement.
Corner front wall. 1/3 in from sidewall.
25% in from sidewall.
Midpoint on side and front/back wall
Oposite front and back corner.

Lett see what happens.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Been a while since i' ve been logged in. Have sold the Birds and bought a pair of Kharma CRM 3.2Fe and an ASR Emitter exclusive version Blue. And could not be more happy. The Kharma connect to the room way better than the Birds. The Emitter is really a fantastic amplifier. Really enjoying the music now. And feel settled in.

Looking at dac for my system... My Wyred 4 Sound Dac 2 is good, but i would like something a tad softer.

DSC_0057.jpg

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
_20161102_163155.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

The Kharma is an fantastic little speaker. But they really play alot bigger than their size. I use 2 SVS tube subs from about 70hz and use the hi input and output from them to the speakers. Will take REW and do some adjustments this weekend.

Will be more aktive in the time to come.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Well. Didn't like the svs for music. Im looking arter to subwoofers for a friend while he is on a trip to Australia. Since I have an extra power amplifier, it would be bad not to try them. and the woofers need some exersize I would think.

Just hooked them up to a minidsp 2x4 while waiting for my New ( used) 8 channel dac.

DSC_0068.jpg
DSC_0069.jpg
DSC_0070.jpg

Haven't started to adjust them in yet. Only natched the level by ear.

But this Sounds promesing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing