The home of Anubis.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Unfotunally this used to be there. But is not here now.

Above the window i type in, its just Grey. No place to upload pic, video, charge colur of the text or so on..

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
We also have a small system in our living room.

DSC_0018.JPG

Klipsch KSP 3.1
Rotel RA-01
Cambridge stream magic 6

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Well been working with Audessy tonight and also looked at what it does with the help of REW. Tryed 4 Audessy corrections before i started with REW. Satser the crossover at 90hz. Audessy wanted 40. But I feel it sounds better with 90hz. Just played some music. Will try some films later.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Yes! This sounds great now for music and movies. Really like what I hear. Got some New XLR cable with inverted phase on One side to fit with marantzes input and my Nuprime Dac 10 output.

Tryed the xlr cable and rca cable from dac. But still cant hear diffrence on cable.
But heard a diffrence between normal xlr cable and the inverted phase cable.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Well, got my New XLR cables with phase inverted at the amplifier end. And glad I got this cable. The sound with these is better. Seemed to clear up the sound a bit. But cant hear any differace between rca and xlr. But if I can run my system with xlr cable, I will.

Im also looking into trying my to svs subwoofer diagonal in my room. Been reading alot about this, so I'll have to try. Rew's room sim also says I should try this. So what the heck.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Dont know if this is of intrest for you guys but will post some grafs from REW after working with the subs this weekend.

I have moved One of the subs to the corner behind me to the left when facing forward to the center channel.

Have hooked up the subs for 2 channel and movies. For 2channel I use the hi input ( speaker cable) for movies the rca input.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Here are to waterfall plots. One is with the subs in front corner left and right. The other is with diagonal placeed subs.

VANNFALL SUBBER HVERT HJØRNE FREMME (1).jpg

SUBBER DIAGONALT.jpg

Blue is with subs in front corners of the room.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
I also have worked with my Cinema reciver. This was more difficult since i have to be working with Audessy, crossover on the front and subs. Så hooked up a minidsp 2x4 for the subs.

After a few hours I finaly settled on this.

frekvens uten smothing.jpg

frekvens psyko.jpg

vannfall kino ferdig.jpg

Crossover is set to 80hz in audessy. And i have set a steep highpass filter on the smaleste sub at 21hz.

I migth have set the spl on the subs a little high. So not quite done yet. Sound good on 2 channel when using the Cinema reciver as preamplifier for music. Better than before. So have hope for the Cinema sound also.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Been watching some movies and it didn't sound quite right for some reason. So I started over again. My system is hooked up for 2 channel and Cinema sound. The heart is the Marantz Pm11s3.

Cinema is hooked up this way.
Bluray player - hdmi to marantz sr7010 - preout L+R+C+2atmos channels. L+R to marantz pm11s3. C+atmos to Rotel RB 993. The marantz sr7010 Powers the surround, surround back and the second pair of atmos speakers. LFE out to minidsp 2x4 then to my two svs subs

The 2 channel system is hooked up like this.
Computer with Jriver mediasenter usb to my Nuprime Dac 10 xlr to the marantz pm11s3. Speaker output A to speakers. Speaker output B to the highlevel input of the svs subs.

This way to change from 2 channel to Cinema modus is a touch of two buttons on the pm11s3.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Well started this post above here with some Word that I didn't quite like the sound from my movies. The tactile bass was gone. Thougth maybe this was due to the removal of the stadig waves i had before.

For music it sounden very good. So I just had to calibrate this again.

So started with the subs. One in right front corner and one in left back corner.
Playes Pink noise from 15hz to 200Hz and turned off all prosessing in the sr1070. And unhooked the speakers. Then i used RTA in rew to adjust the delay of the sub furthest away from me to get the highest spl level. The subs was set at 75hz each, together i got 80.4db.

Checked also with sinewaves from 20hz to 110hz with 5hz interval. Had +4.7db to 5,6db wich is really good result.

After I settled with the minidsp 2x4, I did Audessy XT32 do its work. Checked with rew that all was ok, and did some adjustments. In my room audessy struggles with the subs. The level is set to low, and it makes a bump i the respons half an octave down from the crossover point. Wich I found to be best at 90hz.

Got this fixed and sat down to wach some of my referance bluray disse.

Transformers age of Extinction is always the first. The sceen in the start of the movie, where the dinosaurs are running and the transformer presses the Blue button. That should be felt in your body.

For gods allnighty I have never ever felt anything like this before. I screemed out! The bass is fantastic now. But maybe a bit high. So migth be setting it lover a few db. Maybe....

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Here are the results of the last messurments.

frekvens audessy ig 2 kanaler 15-100hz.jpg

audessy vannfall reference.jpg
This is the waterfall of the Cinema, audessy reference

vannfall 2 kanaler med EQ.jpg
This is the waterfall of the 2 channel setup.

impulse 2 kanaler.jpg
The impulse plot. Can you see me?

impulse audeesy flat og 2kanaer.jpg
And the impulse plot of the Cinema, audessy reference VS 2 channel setup.
The Cinema (audessy) add about 10db of reverb. It sounds very different

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Some days now since the last post. Have been enjoing the sound from my system. This sound really good. Since I use playback from Jriver i have made two presets. One for heavy metal with a little more bass and one for the rest of my music. With a flatter response. If works really well.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Im also working on getting the impulse respons better. I want the impulsees at 10-15ms a bit lower. While still having the music room looking like a room. And not a studio. Not Easy, but have some ideas. .

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Have had many days now working on touching up the room. Got it quite ok with minimum of money spent.
DSC_0129.jpg
DSC_0130.jpg

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Currently working on absorbers for the floor. The rund carprsts is only for show. Does absolutely nothing soundwise.

Really enjoing the sound I have now. Is sound Musical, not hifi. and the movie sound is great. Should really bought a bigger subwoofer. The small One cant keep up with the bigger one. It ok too about -7 on the volume control bur then it starts to struggle.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Have been listening to music now for some time. Really enjoing the sound in 2 channel and multichannel. Have taken the computer out of the loop, and just got myself a Marantz UD7007 for playing bluray, cd and SACD. Also got my frist turntable. Still have Spotify on a streamer, but I hardly use it.

I've also got in a small subwoofer, so now I use 3 of them. Works very well. No need for eq since the subs are set up so they work in a team to cancle out my two domenating standing waves.

The turntable I've got is an old Technics sl 1210.
DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0033.jpg
DSC_0028.JPG

Really like how that sounds together with my Marantz pm11s3. I use the RIIA ( phono amplifier) it has. Looking to upgrade that, but since Im new to turntables I really dont know how expencive an RIIA I should go for. The pickup is MC. Borrowing that from a friend, for a long time. He'll get it back if I sell the 1210 and go for something else. Its supposed to be quite good. I dont know. I just like the way it sounds.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Don't know if this has any interest for anybody but here is a meassurement of what the third sub does. After careful placement.

frekvens 15-150.jpg
No Smoothing or any EQ.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing