New Forum glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What's New? ... When you go to the page's bottom and click for more (More Activity)...it brings you back to the first top page...all the time!

First time ever I see this today.

EDIT: Yup, this glitch is real. Nobody else?

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Same thing happens on my end. When viewing the "Activity Stream", when you hit "New Activity" at the bottom of the page, it does direct you back to the page you are currently on.

Tom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Same thing happens on my end. When viewing the "Activity Stream", when you hit "New Activity" at the bottom of the page, it does direct you back to the page you are currently on.

Tom

Also pressing the "More Activity" in "Activity Stream" brings you always back to the last post.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks like a software bug to me as the generated link just points to the page itself and hence what we are seeing. Bob, did it ever work before?

For now, I changed the number of posts shown to 50 (used to be 30). If you need to see more back posts I can change it easily.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Another issue... all of a sudden, the Manage Images interface in responses looks different and severely dumbed down, and I can only attach images, not inline (among other capabilities lost)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Looks like a software bug to me as the generated link just points to the page itself and hence what we are seeing. Bob, did it ever work before?

For now, I changed the number of posts shown to 50 (used to be 30). If you need to see more back posts I can change it easily.

Good morning Amir,

Yesterday when I first mentioned this glitch; it started just few hours prior to my mentioning (original first post above).
It never happened in six years of the forum inception (five for me, from my experience).
And right now this glitch is still present.

It goes without saying that a little glitch like this one is quite game changing in our daily routine here @ WBF.
We cannot glimpse quickly @ the latest daily newest posts passed thirty, and every time new posts are added, the ones passed thirty disappeared and cannot be recovered.
What does it means for the majority of us? Well, this: It means that people's interest also disappear along with new posts passed 30, and no continuity in subjects of interests of say 24 hours ago or more. And, we have to spend more time researching from memory; or by looking @ our profile and check our latest posts, or by doing a forum search function (less than ideal because that function is not efficient; I know so as I tried it several times in the past, and last was yesterday where it leaded nowhere I wanted to go).
The end result is simply less time spent @ WBF, and interest slowly fading away. That it does for me for sure. I am fully aware that it's an operational software forum issue, and not a human error.

* The previous "double posting" issue is nothing compared to this new glitch issue; this one is a serious one. It effects the entire WBF activity by all the members and guests experiencing what few of us here have just described above.
For example: To post this post that I am writing right now, I had to go into my profile and checked my latest posts to locate the one I posted yesterday (the top first original one when I started this new thread). And if I want to continue other discussions of interest, I have to do the same, and spend more time searching because I don't know if there were more posts after mine. Simply put I go to other forums of the Internet, and spend much much less time because of that simple little glitch.
And quite frankly, WBF is still one of my top guns (among the best favorite sites).

I am certain that this small glitch will be resolved soon, and the sooner the better for everyone.

<<>> Amir, you are a very knowledgeable man on many technical aspects of computers and audio and video ... all that jazz; get on it. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I am totally relaxed Steve. Amir asked a question and I answered him.
I described fully what it does; that's me...very very relaxed, and happy. I want the same as you; good functions of all the parts.

Oh, and yesterday I tried the "New Posts" feature, but it simply isn't the same.

And I know that it will get fixed; I mentioned it in my above post.
It's another beautiful day today, I wish everyone's day that it'll be the best one of their life. :b

EDIT: Amir, if you can make it 50, why not make it like it was before? Like each time you click on "More Activity" it gives you another 30 and so on...to infinity.
It has been working like that for six years; why the new change? It was just fine before, very very fine.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Turns out that it is a bit of both and increasing from 30 to 50 will help. The answer is based on the recent activity on the forum within a 24 hour hour period that the member has last visited the site. So it all boils down to the number of posts not seen by the member since his last visit otherwise hitting the button always returns the member to the top if the page. In other words if there isn't a second page of whats new it will by default return you to the top of the page

I've never used that function as I usually just use the "new posts" button

As to the inline image problem that ack has commented the tech has found no issues

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
As to the inline image problem that ack has commented the tech has found no issues

Here's what pops up when I click Manage Attachments, started happening at some point yesterday

Attachments

• manage-attachments.jpg
    manage-attachments.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 102

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It is a new design indeed. I just tested it by uploading a file image from my computer; it worked ok.

I know that previously it had more options, but for my personal use this new one is good enough.
Though, I realize that not all members are using features the same.

* Personally I preferred the "Newer Posts" (What's New? & More Activity) like it was before; but it's ok I'll simply adapt to this newer system.
I think I figured out the reason. :b Beautiful day today.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
EDIT: Amir, if you can make it 50, why not make it like it was before? Like each time you click on "More Activity" it gives you another 30 and so on...to infinity.
It has been working like that for six years; why the new change? It was just fine before, very very fine.
Making it "50" was a work-around Bob. I have parsed the code in the browser and it is currently broken. Without a proper fix for that, we can't make it work like it used to. I don't have visibility into system changes anymore so can't explain what broke it.

But there is another work-around for now. Hit the normal button to get the first page. Then create a bookmark in your browser with this link:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/activity.php?page=2

That will give you page 2.

Should you be interested in the next page, just bookmark this:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/activity.php?page=3

As you can see I am just incrementing the last number. So should you need to go back further and further, either change that number in your address bar or bookmark it.

Yes, all of these are kludges :). But that is all I can give you without working further to diagnose the real problem.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thx Amir. :b ...I was used to go back between 150 and 750 posts. I'll simply get by with 50 posts now; not the end of the world...but a different reading habit nonetheless.
And besides, I'm happy to be still alive, and I can still change things for the better...time is still on my side.
So much music, so many movies...so little time.

Bonus:

"By now, have you noticed the difference between CDs and vinyl? Okay, even if you not still listening to vinyl, have you at least *felt* the difference between CDs and MP3s?......An MP3 (of a CD) is only about 5 MB. It's remarkable that 7/8 of the information is gone! What does this mean for you, the listener? The song's dimensional information is being thrown out with the bathwater.....

....The basic difference between analog and digital is in the latter's technique of sampling.....the samples, by their nature, leave finite gaps in the wave. These gaps are perceive subconsciously.

It's much like the difference between incandescent and fluorescent lighting. Fluorescents 'flash' on and off 120 times per second. Similarly, digital sound is stopping and starting constantly , as opposed to being a continuous analog wave. And the effect on our psyche is remarkably similar too: Both fluorescent lighting and digital sound can cause stress. (Even though it may be small, this kind of stress is definitely noticeable and even measureable)"

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I encountered this for the last thirty minutes:

Database Error Database error
The database has encountered a problem.
Please try the following:
Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
Open the www.whatsbestforum.com home page, then try to open another page.
Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.whatsbestforum.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
When something like that happens I always check to see if the site is down for everyone.
And as a matter of fact I did check on that particular instance. WBF was NOT down, it was UP.

Now Steve you're saying that you encountered the same as me. Then my guess is that everyone else also had that Database error.
And WBF was clearly not down but Up as indicated when I checked @ the time that it happened ? http://downoruprightnow.com/status/whatsbestforum.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing