New Q3/mini M-Pro?

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
Why? What would that offer? BTW, the Q1 goes deeper in the bass than the S1 does.

And no, the Q1 is not a "bookshelf". It's a monitor on stands. Apparently you haven't heard what a good monitor can do, otherwise you wouldn't use that dismissive language.

I am NOT dismissing bookshelf speakers, Dynaudio C1s will rock a room given enough power. But what does a bookshelf shaped speaker permanently attached to a stand bring to the table? Why didn't the S1 follow the same form? Just my opinion, but I would not be surprised to see the Q1 replaced with a tall and thin floorstander.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I am NOT dismissing bookshelf speakers, Dynaudio C1s will rock a room given enough power.

Good, my apologies.

But what does a bookshelf shaped speaker permanently attached to a stand bring to the table? Why didn't the S1 follow the same form?

Perhaps because people want a floorstander. To many only floorstanders are "real" loudspeakers. In my opinion, however, a monitor/sub combo offers almost only advantages over floorstanders in a not so large room, which most audiophiles have, including myself (mine is 24' x 12' x 8.5', with small window bay widening to 13.5'). Even powerful mid-bass is a non-issue with a great monitor/sub combo. Of course, in a really large room you must have a large speaker in order to fill it with sound.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I may be reading you wrong, but of course the Q3 (and the Q5/S5/V3 etc) has a separate midrange compartment, they will not work properly without it, it is jut not a polymer bubble.

They Don't, that's the whole point. It was first introduced in the S3, if I recall correctly, with a big splash magazine ad. Interior pictures of older models confirms it's missing... unless you can show otherwise.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
They Don't, that's the whole point. It was first introduced in the S3, if I recall correctly, with a big splash magazine ad. Interior pictures of older models confirms it's missing... unless you can show otherwise.

Are you kidding? do you think a midrange can share the bass compartment with probably 10 times the air disparagement and work properly? The big deal was the shape and material, not the fact that the mid has a separate compartment. Do you think that when I push the 10" bass driver in my S5 the midrange move?? That is speakers building 101, my friend.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

ack, I think cannata is correct on this one. Here is a photo of a Q3 clearly showing that the mid/tweeter drivers are separated by an internal plate from the cabinet space for the three woofers. The S3 introduced the first polymer isolation chamber, but previous Magico speakers did have separated enclosures for the mid/tweeter section and woofer section. I don't know about the V3. But the Q7 did and that was also before the S3 introduction. You can also clearly see that that horizontal plate is angled up and not orthogonal from the rest of the architecture. It is a separate enclosure. It is evident on the exterior cabinet work of the Q7.

Magico-Q5-Frame.jpg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Alon knows how to take good photographs. Here we can see the different front baffle designs between this new speaker and the Q3. The tweeters look different and are mounted differently. Same with the woofers. That is how deep they sit in the baffle. Also interesting are the different shapes at the bottom of the baffles and the top plates.

3907g_4.jpg

new-magico.JPG

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
ack, I think cannata is correct on this one. Here is a photo of a Q3 clearly showing that the mid/tweeter drivers are separated by an internal plate from the cabinet space for the three woofers. The S3 introduced the first polymer isolation chamber, but previous Magico speakers did have separated enclosures for the mid/tweeter section and woofer section. I don't know about the V3. But the Q7 did and that was also before the S3 introduction. You can also clearly see that that horizontal plate is angled up and not orthogonal from the rest of the architecture. It is a separate enclosure. It is evident on the exterior cabinet work of the Q7.

View attachment 26695

You are both right to a large degree. Except that I don't get the feeling of a hermetic seal - for example, the wires have to come from the bottom through some opening, and I see holes in the back of the horizontal plate, and there doesn't seem to be a hermetic seal between sections where the metals meet. In the new design, you can easily see the hermetic seal (around the mid/tweeter). But sure, we'll call it "mostly isolated" is you want, but perhaps not as air tight as it should be. The new design is what I was hoping to see.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You are both right to a large degree. Except that I don't get the feeling of a hermetic seal - for example, the wires have to come from the bottom through some opening, and I see holes in the back of the horizontal plate, and there doesn't seem to be a hermetic seal between sections where the metals meet. In the new design, you can easily see the hermetic seal (around the mid/tweeter). But sure, we'll call it "mostly isolated" is you want, but perhaps not as air tight as it should be. The new design is what I was hoping to see.

ack, how do you think the wires are attached to the drivers in the new speaker or in the S3 with that polymer chamber which does look hermetically sealed? Perhaps they but a bead of calk along the flat edges of those plates and also around the wires coming through those holes. Only speculation. The other advantage of the curved polymer chamber/bubble it seems is that it allows for a larger interior volume for the woofers given the same exterior dimensions.

Though it is a different design, the Q1 is smaller on the exterior than the Mini 2 but it has a larger interior volume. They both sound like bigger speakers when properly set up.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
ack, how do you think the wires are attached to the drivers in the new speaker or in the S3 with that polymer chamber which does look hermetically sealed? Perhaps they but a bead of calk along the flat edges of those plates and also around the wires coming through those holes. Only speculation. The other advantage of the curved polymer chamber/bubble it seems is that it allows for a larger interior volume for the woofers given the same exterior dimensions.

Though it is a different design, the Q1 is smaller on the exterior than the Mini 2 but it has a larger interior volume. They both sound like bigger speakers when properly set up.

Calk or some sort of rubber solution could make for a hermetic seal. In the picture you showed, I counted 6-7 holes in the horizontal plate and there may be more from another vantage point. The new chamber could also offer ideal volume behind the midrange and the tapered nature of it seems to want to avoid parallel surfaces, unlike the original which seems to span the entire upper part and is also boxy, with a vertical partial divider plate (right behind the midrange) that I don't understand its use offhand (but could be just for structural support). I have no doubt the new design is superior.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Excellent, at least we are getting updated drivers and copper rings for $75K. The name - M3 - also makes sense, although Alon did build an M3 before there was Magico (it was an aluminum conical design). Definitely what I was hoping to read, and see in a new updated "Q" series. So far everything looks and reads good. All in all, as you said, a smaller M-Pro. Thanks.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
All I need to do is take my son out of private school and throw him in the slums, and then I'll be able to afford it... LOL

And lest I forget

The M3 midrange driver operates in a purpose built sub-enclosure made of a proprietary polymer that enhances midrange control and articulation. This sub-enclosure concept was first used in the S3 and is now applied to our more recent 3-way speaker designs.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That is the one. Thanks for posting the link. I think it will sell like hotcakes. Priced a little bit above the S7 I would much rather have the speaker. The only problem is it is the same cost ias one year of a private college tuition.

a 75k speaker to sell like hotcakes? um, ok.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Goodness gracious! As if High End companies needed more encouragements to increase prices in a brutal fashion. Why in the world can't they keep the same price or even make it lower? I know part of the answer: We are geared to accept increase in prices as better performance.
I will never ceased to marvel how flippantly, we audiophile discuss about 50% increase in price in an technology sector or is it luxury, Iyou will forgive me for forgetting. Where is the ceiling? How high does it have to get? :rolleyes:

+1, my "pricing is crazy in high end" friend, Frantz.

and I remember everyone a year ago saying to buy 60k S7s as they were a small M-Pro. Now that speaker is suddenly inferior.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
From what I understand, the Q3 is/was grossly under priced, and if you compare it to anything remotely close (Like the YG), you can see that. If that is a smaller MPro, there is no way it will cost $50K (look at Wilson Benesch carbon offering). But we can still hope...

the Hailey at 42k seems like a bargain compared with Magico's lines. Heck, the new S5 is 38k for a Nextel finish.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
All I need to do is take my son out of private school and throw him in the slums, and then I'll be able to afford it... LOL

It will do him good!

Wow, what a beautiful offering, and the size is just right... Still above my means, but I expected that. Heavier then a Q3, so I was right, no SP review here ;):(

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
So not a Q replacement line, but perhaps a one off. Or this is the Q5 replacement but in a smaller form.

The S line is the volume product for Magico, and as good as the S is, maybe there is no need to replace the Q line product for product.

And the sensitivity is pretty good for a Magico.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing