New Q3/mini M-Pro?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks to PeterA for alerting us; it may be the speaker I've bee waiting for...

new-magico.JPG

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The driver configuration certainly looks like the one from the Q3, and the sizes appear quite similar, if not identical. The outrigger feet are "missing", but something tells me the finished product will get them, or make them optional. The sides and overall shape seem to borrow from the M-Pro (and seemingly the carbon-fiber sides as well), and the top (which you can't see) appears to be the rounded version in the S5 MkII. Expensive? Of course; I just hope it'd be below $100K and really well below; and I sincerely hope they did not chop off the crossover quality seen in the Q3 and M-Pro, in order to meet a price point. In particular, I would be disappointed if we were to see a crossover as the one in the S7 (really good, but not top quality as in the Q and M-Pro series, in my view).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The interesting thing will be if this is the start of a new M line in addition to the Q and S lines, or if it replaces the Qs. I wonder why they don't role curved aluminum sides updating the entire Q series with the new drivers, and sell them for less. Remember the good old days when the Q1 was less expensive than the Mini II and had better performance.? Same with the Q5 replacing the M5.

I think whatever this speaker is, it sure is gorgeous. It probably has the copper rings around the drivers that the Q7II and S7 have, but which are not on the M Pro. Yes, the footers under the speaker are interesting. I prefer this look to the outriggers, but I agree with ack, they may find their way into production.

The Q inventory is probably down at a lot of dealers, so this would be a good time to role out something new and not put the dealers in such a mess. There might be some good deals on Q series speakers coming up.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
my guess is this is the new Q series.

my other guess is there will be a substantial price increase over the current one :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

You know you've made it as a speaker/designer/company when people starts salivating before they have heard one note from your products :)

If the Mew MQ (M3Q? QM3) retains the quality and price of the current Q3 and improve on the performance , they have a winner. I am looking forward to audition this speaker. I love the current Q3 BTW and think it is one of those sleepers in High End Audio. An incredibly good speaker/component that doesn't figure in the running for the Best around because of its relatively sane price. I believe that coupled with multiple subs, it would rival several TOL speakers from established manufacturers.. The midband purity of this speaker is one of the best around and there is absence of "noise" from it that is beguiling. What I would love to see is more efficiency perhaps 3 dB more... a litle bit power handling too would be nice while retaining the low distortion and the absence of power compression.

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Another unanswered question is what version of the drivers are fitted into this speaker; the woofers clearly don't look like the M-Pro's, they look more like the Q3's, and we don't yet know anything about the midrange and tweeter. I would certainly hope the tweeter is some version of the newer diamond-coated types, but we'll have to wait and see. Overall, initial impression is quite positive.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Attachments

• a_hero-4.jpg
    a_hero-4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,042

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
The interesting thing will be if this is the start of a new M line in addition to the Q and S lines, or if it replaces the Qs. I wonder why they don't role curved aluminum sides updating the entire Q series with the new drivers, and sell them for less. Remember the good old days when the Q1 was less expensive than the Mini II and had better performance.? Same with the Q5 replacing the M5.

I think whatever this speaker is, it sure is gorgeous. It probably has the copper rings around the drivers that the Q7II and S7 have, but which are not on the M Pro. Yes, the footers under the speaker are interesting. I prefer this look to the outriggers, but I agree with ack, they may find their way into production.

The Q inventory is probably down at a lot of dealers, so this would be a good time to role out something new and not put the dealers in such a mess. There might be some good deals on Q series speakers coming up.

This is very likely the new smaller M-Pro which I mentioned earlier, Peter.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Are you sure about this PeterA? Looking at the render of M Pro it sure looks like there is a copper ring around the midrange on the M Pro.

View attachment 26682

http://magico.net/product/mproject.php

Tommy

Yes, that is what it looks like in the photo. But an M Pro owner told me that the copper rings around the drivers (which ones?) was offered to him as a retrofitted option. I am fairly sure they were first offered on the Q7II and then on the S7. It might be something different than what seems to appear in that photo.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So far, I see a Q3 in the M-Pro casing. Smaller M-Pro? I would only say so if the drivers were upgraded to some degree, and the crossover featured the new ultra-expensive EVO Mundorfs... We need more data...

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Yes, that is what it looks like in the photo. But an M Pro owner told me that the copper rings around the drivers (which ones?) was offered to him as a retrofitted option. I am fairly sure they were first offered on the Q7II and then on the S7. It might be something different than what seems to appear in that photo.

I was never offered this copper option...more details please

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I was never offered this copper option...more details please

You could PM MadFloyd or contact Magico directly.

EDIT: I found this mention in Positive Feedback Online, issue 81 by Myles Astor. I remember seeing something else about the Q7 mk2 and that these copper "O-rings" could be retrofitted to the M Pro, but I may be mistaken.

Driver Coupling System

The final piece to the S7 puzzle Alon shared, "was the incorporation of a copper "O-ring" coupling system between the woofer drivers and the speaker cabinet. The coupling system was something that Alon, "wanted to do for a long time but it had been until now too cost prohibitive [unless we're talking about something like the Q7s] to do until they [Magico] did the machining in house. So he said, "let's just give it a shot and see what happens." And he added, "there was a huge difference." "Copper," Alon continued, "has a much higher damping factor than Aluminum and its stiffness is the same as Al. And it doesn't damp the driver like a soft material like a gasket would do. (this is why some turntable manufacturers use Cu platters). In short, this development allows the cabinet to better dissipate energy produced by the bass drivers." In fact, the copper speaker gasket of the S7 was so wildly successful that this technology may trickle "up" into some of Magico's other speaker models.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This interanl photo is from the Facebook of Magico :

13102774_996591610387961_8540755400960346469_n.jpg

Internally it's a Q Series whereas the side-walls are carbon fiber plates of Project M!
Best of both worlds?

:)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great picture! I think I see the copper O-rings, and it's great to confirm the mid/tweeter isolation from the woofers. So far, it meets expectations, and looks fantastic. Now, if they could only make a bi-wireable version??? I really hope this speaker isn't more than $50K

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Great picture! I think I see the copper O-rings, and it's great to confirm the mid/tweeter isolation from the woofers. So far, it meets expectations, and looks fantastic. Now, if they could only make a bi-wireable version??? I really hope this speaker isn't more than $50K

LOL, this looks like a $100K loudspeaker... But maybe your dealer will not charge you for a home audition this time around ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing