New Q3/mini M-Pro?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
My room is only 14 x 19 ... so the M3 would be a perfect fit. We will see.

Oh I'm pretty sure you have enough room for MPros. These aren't ported speakers, nor are they as warm as your S5's. I would love to have that size room with my MPros.

These beasts are fascinating in the way that they can change tonal balance in my system. I tinker a lot - with speaker positioning, power cords, room treatments, etc and am constantly amazed at how the character of the overall sound can change so much. There is no doubt that they have a leaner tonal balance than the S5 (I've had both overlap in my system for 8 months) but they make the S5 seem so veiled. These speakers truly are a window into the chain as much as the music.

I've had them where I was convinced they were just too forward sounding (almost bright) and I've had them where I was completely bored with them (no sparkle, air, etc.). Moving the speakers an inch or two, adjusting toe-in, changing a power cable or interconnect can make all this difference. In that sense, it might not be a plug-and-play type speaker, but I don't think any speaker this transparent will be. If all you do is listen to pop music you might be better off with the S5, but if you are into complex music (e.g. symphonic) these clever arrays of transducers will let equal parts drama and beauty escape effortlessly into your room with swirls of jaw-dropping goodness. The intricate detail of string sections in the upper frequencies is matched by the thunderous authority in the deep bass and everything in between.

All that said, it takes care and proper feeding to get right. I heard the MPros at Axpona 2015 and was horrified at how bad they sounded. If my pair was still on order at the time I would have been trying to cancel them. There were other speakers at that show that sounded so much better - no contest.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

First of all - it was a pleasure to meet you in person during the Sound Galleries event at BMW Welt.
. . .

It was a pleasure to meet you too!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The M Pro is so transparent, that, IMO, any comments about its sound is more an opinion about the rest of the system. I find that there is very little "sound" to the M Pro, based on the many times that I have heard it in MadFloyd's system.

I hear you. I understand. Our great preference for analog suggests strongly that we have certain sonic preferences in common. And we share the same objective of high-end audio (Objective 1: "recreate the sound of an original musical event"). But, at the end of the day, I suspect we like a slightly different sound ultimately.

I find that the whole genre of extremely transparent and "fast" sounding dynamic driver speakers (e.g., Tidal, Zellaton, Magico) just does not involve me emotionally or sound musical to me (whatever that means when we all say it and write it). It is ok, Peter, if we wind up not completely understanding each other's sonic perceptions and not loving the same speaker. :)

While the sound and tonal balance of a speaker can be modified or "steered" with ancillary components I think speakers have a certain sonic essence which remains no matter the ancillaries.

My best recent example of this is the MBL 101E Mk II. Switching the source from digital to LP, and switching the amplifiers from solid-state to tube hybrids, ameliorated much of my issue with what I perceived to be a slight brightness or a slight harshness in the upper midrange/lower trouble region. I wanted to love those speakers. Switching to analog and tubes helped a lot, but they did not eradicate my issue completely.

(To be crystal clear I am not saying at all that the MBLs objectively are slightly harsh or slightly bright. I am saying only that I have some sensitivity which makes my ears hear them that way. For the record, Jeremy, the very knowledgeable, friendly, helpful and passionate advocate of the speakers for MBL North America, absolutely does not know what I am talking about. Nor does Greg Beron, of United Home Audio and reel-to-reel tape deck fame, who owns the 101E. Mk. II, and who loves analog and has used tube electronics in various systems for many years.)

Hearing the amazing MBL X-Tremes at Munich confirmed for me that as much as I like many aspects of the sound of MBL speakers I could never be content living with them forever because that slight residual brightness or harshness my ears perceive would always trouble me.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Nor do I having lived with my 116's (same tweeter / midrange pods as the 101's) for some four years but, as you say, that's fine. We all hear differently and have our own sensitivities.

I do question your Hi End Audio Objective No. 1. Unless you were actually present at the "original" musical event, there is no way you or anyone has a basis to determine that any system has somehow "recreated" that original, live performance sound.

That's a criteria (myth) created by JV / TAS that is factually indefensible.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Unless you were actually present at the "original" musical event, there is no way you or anyone has a basis to determine that any system has somehow "recreated" that original, live performance sound.

By that I don't think people mean the live performance of that recording. They mean generally similar to our senses that would have been shaped by live concert experiences.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Sorry Ked. Your response doesn't make any sense.

What does "similar to our senses shaped by the live concert experience" mean?

With all due respect, how does one shape a sense?

Best.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think it simply refers to our memories of what live acoustic instruments sound like based on our past listening experiences at live concerts. Those who have heard violins or pianos played live have impressions, memories, or ideas of what those instruments sound like based on that listening experience. Those impressions, memories, or ideas can then be compared to the sounds of those instruments being reproduced by an audio system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing