Apogee Grands + NAT Transmitters

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Wow!!! gorgeous !!! Is that room big enough , wide enough to house the Grands ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow!!! gorgeous !!! Is that room big enough , wide enough to house the Grands ?

Dunno, the one I heard them in was bigger, but don't have enough data points.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco

A member of the Sound Galleries Music Server team knows florianw well. florainw is one of our guests at the DSD512 May Fest in Munich

Competing in sound quality with a Studer is going to be quite a challenge for our Sound Galleries Music Server feeding a T+A 1-bit DSD converter

Of course the speakers and the room will be completely different, but I believe we can give a good insight to show what's possible with DSD 512 and a super RF quiet and well timed workstation class computer doing realtime conversion of all digital formats to DSD512

Save the date, public audition time from 2pm to 6pm at BMW World on Friday May 6th

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have been in contact with him, great guy. Listens to orchestral even peaking at 100db with his NATs in a 4m * 6m room. He has got a Lyngdorf Rp-1 for treatment. He has upgraded all the way from Scintillas, Divas, Full Ranges to Grands. Well there are only 7 Grands in the world. He is an owner. He has been through variouis SS amps - Krells, Levinsons, and other things, but then he found the NATs and upgraded from SE1, SE2, SE3, to the Transmitters. Says it is by far the best amp and he has a friend in the US who uses it on the full ranges as well.

His Grands are easier to drive, 6 ohm flat impedance. FR is tougher. Scintillas are the toughest at 1ohm. Divas as 4ohm. This is super exciting.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Sure I have seen him post on the Apogee forum. They made 25 pairs of Grands I thought. You've heard the Transmitters anyway so you must have an idea of what to expect.

Defo worth checking out though. Where is he?

Sure I have seen this room but with lower end NATs in it. So that verifies the story.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard only 7 are left?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I remember him as "Tiny Tim" from the Apogee boards years ago. Affluent German kid, who refurbished the Grands at great expense. He went through Scintillas and Divas as well. I think the last I had heard on the Apogee board some time ago, he totalled a big Audi sedan on the Autobahn and left unscratched.

I also have loved using Wavac transmitting tube amps on my Apogees and panels, but have gone on the use Directly Heated Triode preamps driving VFET amps on my Analysis Epsilons. Truly sounds like the best of both worlds, SS and tube.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You've heard the Transmitters anyway so you must have an idea of what to expect.

Apogee grands are the most exciting and dynamic of speakers - with SS. It will be interesting to check how the NATs function on the control, bass and the dynamics compared to SS amps. This guy is totally in love with the NATs. He also has the Xenon power conditioner.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
bonzo, so he is using NATs on the woofer panels and on the midrange ribbons?

Has he replaced any of the drivers or are the drivers the original, Apogee stock drivers (with OEM spec sensitivities)?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
This guy is totally in love with the NATs. He also has the Xenon power conditioner.
Hi bonzo,
Sorry to go a bit off topic but I'm interested if you have managed to gather any relevant info about the NAT Xenon power conditioner? This is the most exotic way of power conditioning I have ever seen and it would be interesting to hear what it does for the system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Marcus, I have three data points, one loves it with his NAT amps and analysis audio speakers, another owned it and said it worked and he could hear some better tone on notes etc, but he sold it coz it added to the room temperature and required rack space and he doesn't miss it. Third is the guy above who owns the grands and the transmitters and can't hear much difference in his system. I am not particularly investigating it anymore. I am sure power treatment makes a difference but have heard many nice systems where power was straight from the wall so not bothered. I need to stabilize my fluctuating voltage, currently have pure power 2000 and in future might look at Torus

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
bonzo, so he is using NATs on the woofer panels and on the midrange ribbons?

Has he replaced any of the drivers or are the drivers the original, Apogee stock drivers (with OEM spec sensitivities)?

Yes to first question, don't know about the second. You can ask Florian on this forum, he is not very active but registered, he will also reply to messages off audiogon. His were restored by the Swiss restorer but don't know the details

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I heard only 7 are left?

I saw one of these 7 at one of the local stores when I was returning a D'Agostino Progression amp.

It is in perfect condition and was driven by two set's of Krell KAS monoblocks. the guy is getting old and have down sized to Wilsons. They are already sold.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Lovely condition... beautiful looking set of ribbons.

Reactions: christoph and XV-1

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I saw one of these 7 at one of the local stores when I was returning a D'Agostino Progression amp.

It is in perfect condition and was driven by two set's of Krell KAS monoblocks. the guy is getting old and have down sized to Wilsons. They are already sold.

OMG, an accidental encounter with a unicorn :eek:
They really look in good shape :cool:
Do you know how much they sold for?
I wonder if Florian knows the ex-owner?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
OMG, an accidental encounter with a unicorn :eek:
They really look in good shape :cool:
Do you know how much they sold for?
I wonder if Florian knows the ex-owner?

not sure exactly what they sold for but given the as new condition they looked I believe the new owner got a great deal. They were sold within one day of them being traded to a guy that also owns the largest Avantgarde basshorn speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing