Does Magico use anything like polyfill or foam inside their speakers?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hi Folsom. If they didn't, I would be very surprised.....although I can not answer your question with complete 100% certainty. 95% certainty perhaps. :D

Tom

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They need for it goes down the less efficient a speaker is, and there's are not high efficiency, so it's plausible to not use anything without incurring huge problems. But still, I figured surely they would... I just don't know.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Just curious, all the cutaways only show aluminum.

i think so, at least in some areas. fyi ... my yg's have foam in some areas. if you remove the mid woofer it looks like an erector set inside the cabinet with giant caps and foam in a couple areas. the foam is in between the mid and tweeter cabinet areas.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I actually think polyfill is bad, but lining walls is good.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I actually think polyfill is bad, but lining walls is good.

Depends on the design and personal preference as far as how much and what kind. IMO it's better to have it a little overdamped than too resonant, but my Pioneer S-1EX are pretty well-stuffed and I think the bass is a little overdamped. The amp makes a pretty big difference too, as it's DF has a similar subjective effect vs stuffing a speaker, so the speaker designer needs to think about what amps will be used with the speaker. Lining the walls with dynamat-type material, foam materials or a combination is doing something different vs stuffing, I forget the exact technical terms, but it does have a different effect so you might find a combination of the two works best. I do agree that lining the walls of a cab to reduce wall vibration is a good idea unless you're going for the cab adding it's own tone.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think polyfill generally just make it sound bad in all the octaves but the lowest it seems. It might compensate for something else, but it isn't the right answer.

To me I see no limit in dampening the walls. And to a large extent using certain types of foam and things on them to reduce reflections. You need pressure, not reflections, inside a cab.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I think polyfill generally just make it sound bad in all the octaves but the lowest it seems. It might compensate for something else, but it isn't the right answer.

To me I see no limit in dampening the walls. And to a large extent using certain types of foam and things on them to reduce reflections. You need pressure, not reflections, inside a cab.

For me it's useful for tuning the woofer...

Damping the walls needs balance too though, if you add mass without stiffness you lower the first resonant frequency of the cab. If you're starting with something very stiff like aluminum though it might not be an issue. I'd guess magico uses a layer that forms a cld like dynamat on a car door but idk... Aluminum is a bit over the top for a speaker cab imo. :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
For me it's useful for tuning the woofer...

Damping the walls needs balance too though, if you add mass without stiffness you lower the first resonant frequency of the cab. If you're starting with something very stiff like aluminum though it might not be an issue. I'd guess magico uses a layer that forms a cld like dynamat on a car door but idk... Aluminum is a bit over the top for a speaker cab imo. :)

I think aluminum is a great cabinet these days, after what I've heard. But I suspect Magico's primary use for their dampening is to stop any potential ringing.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
They use both foam on the walls and some kind of wool as a filler:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I think it was Electrocompaniet with a sand cast aluminum cabinet, that's pretty cool and it sounded good. The cab material's importance tends to be over rated though, in terms of measurable distortion and the effect is mostly subjective.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing