Does Upgrading Cables Actually SAVE You Money?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo are you going to take DaveC up on his offer?

No. My point is, I don't need more resolution via a cable. I need a bigger room, I need Apogee full ranges, 3 - 4 turntables with multiple arms and carts that do different things, and some SS amps to play around with. Also trying different crossover caps and going active. Quite a lot to do in terms of time and money over the next 10 years. Even if the cable is more resolving, it does not resolve those needs.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
No. My point is, I don't need more resolution via a cable. I need a bigger room, I need Apogee full ranges, 3 - 4 turntables with multiple arms and carts that do different things, and some SS amps to play around with. Also trying different crossover caps and going active. Quite a lot to do in terms of time and money over the next 10 years. Even if the cable is more resolving, it does not resolve those needs.

I tell you I would LOVE to have a dedicated listening room. If you are willing to move in pursuit of better SQ that is what I call dedication, good luck!

As for SS amps I am amazed at the bang for the buck quality I got with the Parasound Zamp v3 I use in my desktop system and feel that would be a good brand for you to check out.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My dear doctor,
I'm sure that when you get it home, and after few hundred hours of break up, your mind will tell you that you can hear a difference for the better.
This is simple logic human psychology. The money spent will also help to believe even stronger.
And if you have the technical tools, the measurements would probably show an increase in performance.

:b

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I tell you I would LOVE to have a dedicated listening room. If you are willing to move in pursuit of better SQ that is what I call dedication, good luck!

As for SS amps I am amazed at the bang for the buck quality I got with the Parasound Zamp v3 I use in my desktop system and feel that would be a good brand for you to check out.

No, no dedicated room. Moving is not an issue as in my quest for hifi if I end up buying additional property in central London, I might be overall better off in the long run

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's a great point about the resale value holding up. I see the value of processors for HT drop like a rock every time a new codec comes out. In early 2015 the Marantz 7702 was around $2000. Now it's around $900. If I bought a $2000 cable I could probably sell it for at least $1500 and that is used. Those marantz processors are selling at that price brand new because they were replaced with the 7702 mkII,

Let say a cable is released one year (2015), called the MCZ00787, for $36,000/pair of 8-foot speaker wires, and the next year after (2016) they release an update/upgrade/revised/remastered version..the MCZ00787MKIII Edition for only $4,000 more ($40,000 total - MSRP). The 2015 wires would probably sell for approximately only $16,000 ... That would be a coup, to always buy old instead of new, and particularly with cables because they sound better with age, after lots of break up time.
The electrons align themselves with time, with age, with break up experience...developing cleaner highs and deeper lows...like human wisdom. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Power and cables are the backbone of the system and these things should be done right BEFORE you spend big $ on components. The result will be a much clearer, detailed and engaging system.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :) I'll bet the end result would be less $$$ for more SQ.

If power and cables are the backbone of the system, then the room's acoustics, size and loudspeakers in that room must be equal to the listener's set of ears and brain in that same room with that power and cables? :b

Doc, what medical sector are you specialized in? ...Your username says witchdoctor, anything close to that? :b

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Well if I was thinking about such changes I would not be thinking about cables or audio. First think I would try the lottery or looking for very well paid part time job!

More seriously I think that most of the time, people complement and improve their systems with cables because all other approaches involve logistics and resources that are not available easily or at all.

I think that starting with cables and speakers can be a very interesting challenge, although it is not easy to borrow electronics for experiments . But even so, IMHO you will be just complementing their characteristics. I have been playing this game lately with Mogami speaker and interconnect cables with the SoundLabs but without worth note results until now.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Cables (power, IC, speaker), along with clean power, and vibration control, are the foundation upon which a good stereo is built. Without a good foundation, no gear will perform at its optimum. However, with a good foundation then any gear you currently have, and any new gear, will operate at its best.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
If power and cables are the backbone of the system, then the room's acoustics, size and loudspeakers in that room must be equal to the listener's set of ears and brain in that same room with that power and cables? :b

Room acoustics are another topic.

There's lots of important aspects to setting up a system and the implied false dichotomy that if you upgrade cables your room acoustics (or whatever) must suffer because that's what your spending your money on and the other is neglected is a bit ridiculous. The acquisition of cables has absolutely nothing to do with what speakers and room treatments you use and one may have absolutely no effect on the other. I'd argue most people spend money and effort on ALL aspects of their system because most people that are assembling a high end system tend to be reasonably intelligent.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Cables (power, IC, speaker), along with clean power, and vibration control, are the foundation upon which a good stereo is built. Without a good foundation, no gear will perform at its optimum. However, with a good foundation then any gear you currently have, and any new gear, will operate at its best.

Exactly. The mindset that your going to settle for inferior cables because there are more important things to deal with is backwards imo. Especially interconnect cables, there's no possible way to fairly evaluate anything in your system without good quality IC cables. So people put a system together using colored, warm cables which makes it likely they choose brighter components to compensate for their warm, slow cables.... Then, they upgrade cables and when they get more neutral cables they can actually hear what their system is doing and they don't like it. So go back to the warm, slow cables so all your issues (and a good part of your resolution) is masked and end up with a mid-fi system compared to what you could have had.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
No, no dedicated room. Moving is not an issue as in my quest for hifi if I end up buying additional property in central London, I might be overall better off in the long run

You certainly get a better return over time with real estate in central London than with hi fi! If you decide to move, let me know!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
My premise is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade is often cables. If you feel the biggest bang for the room upgrade is room treatment great, can you be more specific? What products, how did you use them, etc. If you could post photos that would be helpful too.

I have treated my room with products from a company called 8th Nerve and each product definitely improved SQ. I just found they were more expensive and involved a lot more effort than changing a cable. Hence it did make an improvement but wasn't the biggest bang for the buck in my system. For example I have tried power cords that cost less than $100 plugged into my subwoofer that made a really nice improvement in SQ compared to the cord that came with the sub. I have no idea what room treatment could make such an impact for less than $100.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/cabl...-cable/magic-power-ac/prd_321046_1584crx.aspx

Here is a recent thread of mine on the effect of the absence of ASC tube traps in my room:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20189-ASC-tube-traps-effect-of-their-absence

The OP also has links to my listening room, with pictures of all the treatments.

Tell me, when you read the OP, how cables can 'fake' the effect of tube traps. They can't. And those effects are much more profound than cables usually produce.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
More seriously I think that most of the time, people complement and improve their systems with cables because all other approaches involve logistics and resources that are not available easily or at all.

I think that starting with cables and speakers can be a very interesting challenge, although it is not easy to borrow electronics for experiments . But even so, IMHO you will be just complementing their characteristics. I have been playing this game lately with Mogami speaker and interconnect cables with the SoundLabs but without worth note results until now.

On the first point, yes, which is why playing around with cables is fun when you don't have the resources for much else. The only audiophile kick you can then get is through upgrading cables.

On Mogami, I used Sanders cables on Logans, and those were made from Mogami and supposedly for stats. Didn't do anything different, others I tried were marginally better.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
My premise is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade is often cables. If you feel the biggest bang for the room upgrade is room treatment great, can you be more specific? What products, how did you use them, etc. If you could post photos that would be helpful too.

I have treated my room with products from a company called 8th Nerve and each product definitely improved SQ. I just found they were more expensive and involved a lot more effort than changing a cable. Hence it did make an improvement but wasn't the biggest bang for the buck in my system. For example I have tried power cords that cost less than $100 plugged into my subwoofer that made a really nice improvement in SQ compared to the cord that came with the sub. I have no idea what room treatment could make such an impact for less than $100.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/cabl...-cable/magic-power-ac/prd_321046_1584crx.aspx

What if the cable cost, as plenty do, $1,000 or even $10,000? Would that be good value for the sound quality improvement?

Perhaps it would it be more correct simply to say that cables are *sometimes* good value.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Ok, about a good universal remote control (rechargeable with base) that goes through walls behind you? ...That's important in a good home theater room system.

About wireless transmission? ...About battery operated components? ...No more worries about electrical pollution. ...No more worries about power purifier boxes.
Listening preference, accurate distortion, concrete measurements...sensory pleasure of the hearing...pure and simple?

Yep, personal preference in each system...no two are equal, same as us.

A $1,000 receiver comes with its own removable AC cord (a fairly good size one); the audio reviewer substituted it for another that costs fifty bucks...he heard better bass definition.
Then he tried a third one, $100, and he heard more details in the mids and highs, less reserved sound than the one that comes with the receiver, and the lows are deeper, more extended, more reverberation, more euphony...the audio reviewer recommends the other AC cords, they sound better.
I have the review right here, and there are hundreds and thousands like it, and from all prices...$50 to $50,000 (that last figure is amazingly high, but real nonetheless, for long speaker wire pairs, triamp.).

* Amir, you don't say too much about upgrading AC power cords?

Last edited:

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
My dear doctor,
I'm sure that when you get it home, and after few hundred hours of break up, your mind will tell you that you can hear a difference for the better.
This is simple logic human psychology. The money spent will also help to believe even stronger.
And if you have the technical tools, the measurements would probably show an increase in performance.

:b

When I dropped less than $200 on a new digital cable from Mapleshade in my system my mind was telling me no way would it sound better than the $1000 Virtual Dynamics digital cable I was already using. Luckily I have two ears and one brain so my ears won the vote that contest. :) My mind was already made up that my current cable was superior and I just auditioned this one since I liked the other products I had tried from this vendor like his speaker stands and CD's. It took about 10 seconds for me to know that the new cable thrashed the one I was using. My ears outvoted my "logical" human psychology as well.

The VD cable went on Ebay and I had money left over for the new one. I know the placebo effect can happen. As for technical tools this is an interesting one, it helps reduce placebo effect and its free:

http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.com/

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
What if the cable cost, as plenty do, $1,000 or even $10,000? Would that be good value for the sound quality improvement?

Perhaps it would it be more correct simply to say that cables are *sometimes* good value.

Good point, see post #57

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
When I dropped less than $200 on a new digital cable from Mapleshade in my system my mind was telling me no way would it sound better than the $1000 Virtual Dynamics digital cable I was already using. Luckily I have two ears and one brain so my ears won the vote that contest. :) My mind was already made up that my current cable was superior and I just auditioned this one since I liked the other products I had tried from this vendor like his speaker stands and CD's. It took about 10 seconds for me to know that the new cable thrashed the one I was using. My ears outvoted my "logical" human psychology as well.

The VD cable went on Ebay and I had money left over for the new one. I know the placebo effect can happen. As for technical tools this is an interesting one, it helps reduce placebo effect and its free:

http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.com/

Placebo effect happens in medicine because both pills look and taste the same. There is no expertise associated or anyway the patient can say which is the placebo pill. His only option is to trust the doctor who hands it to him. With an audio component, the 'patient' is not only capable of differentiating at the point of intake but he can repeat it many more times in different systems unlike with a pill.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016

Doc, what medical sector are you specialized in? ...Your username says witchdoctor, anything close to that? :b

I have a PhD in rock and roll :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing