Does Upgrading Cables Actually SAVE You Money?

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
In this review of Signal Cables Thomas Campbell makes an interesting claim:

"In my experience, however weird the science, interconnects and speaker cables make the largest per-dollar difference of any component or accessory."

This rings true to me based on my experience with high end cables, although not extensive by any means. I feel cables offer the biggest bang for the buck upgrade in audio. Some people often slam high end cables as "expensive". I think it is much LESS expensive to get better SQ by upgrading a cable than upgrading a component. When I see a $10K+++ system and the owner claims he has made a wise decision using lamp cord because all cables sound the same I just shake my head. We all want better SQ but why not test a new set of speaker cables before spending $$$ on new speakers? Why not test a new power cord or a set of interconnets before spending $$$ on upgrading a pre-amp or an amp? The fact that most cable vendors offer a risk free audition makes it a no brainer at least to test and listen for yourself. I see the same people who feel buying lamp cord is a wise decision to be the same ones who refuse to even listen to a different higher end cable. They will drone on for hours about blind testing and measuring cables but they never blind tested their speakers or subwoofer when they spent $$$ in most cases. (unless you have access to the speaker testing facility at Harman).

So if you want to increase SQ and SAVE money do yourself a favor and at least audition a better set of cables before you abandon the other components you already own. As long as you can send them back after an audition why not?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes I agree.
And different brands at similar price points do sound different
Tellurium Q didn't sound right in my system whereas Entreq have real synergy with it.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
What are your other components? Thanks for posting.

All listed on my profile.
Two more Entreq Challenger 3V power cables should arrive shortly(hopefully Wednesday) and an Audience AU 24SE for the Audience Aspect AR8 on Tuesday so looking forward to further improvements.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
As my experience grew over the years (been in this hobby for 3 over decades), my thoughts have grown to agreeing with what you say.......and yes, I could have saved money by upgrading the cables in my various rigs. There are a few pieces of gear I wish I still had knowing what I know now.

Welcome to the forum BTW, witchdoctor.

Tom

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Thanks for the welcome Tom. The piece of gear I have hung onto and has benefited from better cables is my Sunfire Theater Grand 3 processor. It has no HDMI but I love the SQ and use it now for two channel. Upgrades I have made include better power cords and cables. My next upgrade for it will be either a Meridian Explorer 2 DAC or a Chorus Mojo DAC using all Mapleshade cables on the chain (USB and RCA interconnects for the DAC, then XLR cables from the TG3 to my active speakers, maybe a new power cord too).
I use a Marantz 7702 for HT duties but I just can't part with my TG3 for two channel. The DAC's in it are outdated but with a new outboard DAC and better cables I feel it will keep rocking for many years to come.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
All listed on my profile.
Two more Entreq Challenger 3V power cables should arrive shortly(hopefully Wednesday) and an Audience AU 24SE for the Audience Aspect AR8 on Tuesday so looking forward to further improvements.

Great, please post your thoughts about the new cables after you have had some time with them.

TUBEY

Mar 31, 2016
Cables sound different because they are different with different specs.They all change the signal passing through them so it is logical that one will be preferable in our system.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Cables are weird. My new amps were borderline unlistenable with MIT cabling, and everything fell into place with Transparent. Also, cables bought wisely tie up capital but depreciate little or nothing. You buy them at 30%-50% of MSRP and resell them for the same or small loss.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Disagree with the OP. The best systems I have heard, the Western electrics, the Apogee Full Range, the Apogee Grands, have cables that cost less than $5/m. DDK searched for years to find cables that cost $3/m. Marty and Steve have also downgraded their cables without the loss of SQ. In fact it was cables like Odin etc that used incorrectly cause more harm to the sound. None of the systems I have heard with Transparent Opus or Odin levels cabling came close to sounding great, because cables really can't do enough to substitute the sound of the speakers or the source.

All cables I have demoed which seem to add a positive have some negative. Cables are the most evil of all hifi as they can lead to sonic degradations and can seldom improve sound. Keep it simple. I have audience, and one Tara Cobalt, I have no idea how good they are, when I had the cable itch I thought they were excellent, in retrospect I couldn't care, as I will keep my money directed towards components, without touching cables from now on. If someone brought over something to my place, I will gladly demo the cable for audiophilia's sake, but no way would I spend on it otherwise.

ps: I have had in my system and compared Kubala Elation loom, Virtual Dynamics Master Series, Tara Cobalts, Audience, Audioquest K2 16k speaker cables, Zensati 20k speaker cables, Kimber K10 palladian, Crystal loom, and some others I can't recall. Have compared Audience with Odin and Ansuz - C (these were good) in other systems. And plenty of non-compare demos of Transparent Opus. All were a waste of time, though fun and scratched an itch. I do agree one should should upgrade from stock

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
*Significantly* better per-dollar improvement from room treatment and/or DRC.

Or speakers, dac, valves, recording, spend on analog, upgrade your TT, arm, cart. Everything but...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
*Significantly* better per-dollar improvement from room treatment and/or DRC.

We are comparing apples with oranges. Most of the time what we get from cables can not be got from room treatment or DRC. Different people will have different valuation of these improvements.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) None of the systems I have heard with Transparent Opus or Odin levels cabling came close to sounding great, because cables really can't do enough to substitute the sound of the speakers or the source. (...)

You are a happy man, you have heard the wrong systems. ;) Some of the best systems I have listened to used these cables. And a few sounded really great. However they are only adequate for some systems. I have hosted Opus MM2 and Odin complete sets and the only reason I did not keep them was the price or the damned specific tuning of the Opus MM2 - they are directed to stable audiophiles.

But yes, cables are a compromise and each of us has his own preferences. There is no such think as the perfect cable. BTW, considering the systems you seem to appreciate I would advise you to listen to the Crystal Dreamline cables. I have them since long and always return to them when using the Soundlab's. Curiously I found that audio16 also enjoys them a lot in his great systems.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
We are comparing apples with oranges. Most of the time what we get from cables can not be got from room treatment or DRC. Different people will have different valuation of these improvements.

^^^What he said^^^

Tom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You are a happy man, you have heard the wrong systems. ;) Some of the best systems I have listened to used these cables. And a few sounded really great. However they are only adequate for some systems. I have hosted Opus MM2 and Odin complete sets and the only reason I did not keep them was the price or the damned specific tuning of the Opus MM2 - they are directed to stable audiophiles.

But yes, cables are a compromise and each of us has his own preferences. There is no such think as the perfect cable. BTW, considering the systems you seem to appreciate I would advise you to listen to the Crystal Dreamline cables. I have them since long and always return to them when using the Soundlab's. Curiously I found that audio16 also enjoys them a lot in his great systems.

I am not going to spend on cables. Buy a bigger room, fit in Apogee FR, than play with upgrading crossover to Duelunds and going active, that adds to amplification costs, not to mention I need to spend on modded Lenco/garrards, micros seikis, and one-arm artisan TTs and experiment with 8 - 10 arms and 4 - 5 cartridges and 2 - 3 phonos to reduce my palpitations. I don't think cables do enough in magnitude sonically, and now I have lost the audiophile itch to play with them as well. Did I leave out upgrading to original WE 300b if I won the lottery?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am not going to spend on cables. Buy a bigger room, fit in Apogee FR, than play with upgrading crossover to Duelunds and going active, that adds to amplification costs, not to mention I need to spend on modded Lenco/garrards, micros seikis, and one-arm artisan TTs and experiment with 8 - 10 arms and 4 - 5 cartridges and 2 - 3 phonos to reduce my palpitations. I don't think cables do enough in magnitude sonically, and now I have lost the audiophile itch to play with them as well. Did I leave out upgrading to original WE 300b if I won the lottery?

Apologies for my poor memory, I am not sure anymore - did you manage to listen to David's Bionors?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing