Alma celebrates 1 year with special event!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alma Audio Invites You To Celebrate Our 1 Year Anniversary, With A Special "Music Talks" Event!

Since we opened our doors March 31st, 2015, our goal has been to provide the best musical experience by offering the finest audio equipment available. We do this by working with truly special, innovative brands. Last year we held our first "Music Talks" event, where we invited some of the masters behind these brands, to talk about what makes their products special, and of course, to showcase them!

Now, for the 2nd "Music Talks" event, our focus is on the most musical pairing in all of high-end audio, darTZeel and Evolution Acoustics. Straight from Switzerland, we’ll have the great honor to host Hervé Deletraz, the genius responsible for darTZeel, who will provide insights into his unique designs. Jonathan Tinn and Kevin Malmgren, the team behind Evolution Acoustics, will also be present to share their thoughts on loudspeaker design and manufacturing as well as to talk about their current and upcoming products. Be there for the world premier of the Evolution Acoustics MMThree EXACT Loudspeakers. Jonathan who also owns Wave Kinetics will bring their reference NVS Turntable along with the Durand Kairos tonearm and Ortofon MC-Anna cartridge. Be on hand to hear some special very special upcoming vinyl releases direct from Acoustic Sounds.

If that is not enough, we’ve also invited Robert Harley, Editor of "The Absolute Sound". Mr. Harley will be on hand (Saturday only!) to talk about The Absolute Sound's Illustrated History of High-End Audio, a series of lavishly produced large-format books that celebrate the industry's legendary founders and their most iconic products. Autographed copies of both volumes (Volume One: Loudspeakers and Volume Two: Electronics) will be available. Robert will also sign copies of the new fifth edition of his classic book The Complete Guide to High-End Audio."

Music Talks #2 will be held April 30th and May 1st, in our beautiful La Jolla store. A detailed schedule of the event will be posted. Refreshments will be served continuously throughout both days.

Don't miss this unique opportunity to experience award-winning products and meet their designers. For more information, please contact us at the directions below.

Alma Music and Audio
5759 La Jolla Blvd.
La Jolla, CA 92037
(858) 412 5530
(619) 243 4924

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats on the 1st Year!!!!! Best wishes for an even better 2nd.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thank you :D

The second year is looking up to be a good one!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
EMKT.jpg

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Great!

We're working on the schedule of the presentations right now...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Congratulations! I have a lot of respect for any entrepreneur who's able to get a business off the ground and keep it flying...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, guys :)

May I also remind you all that we're just an hour away from Irvina/Newport, so whoever's planning to come for THE Show are welcome to stop by either before or after to check out the place!

We've been getting some pretty nice stock of vinyl too, like a batch of 60s classical records in MONO (Living Stereo, Everest, etc.), still in the shrinkwrap, and another batch of jazz/rock pressings from Japan, also incredibly pristine!

So, in the off chance that you're not into any of the brands being presented, there's always the vinyl :D

cheers,
alex

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Just to say that it is a pleasure to have one of the great audio stores not just in La Jolla, but in all of S.California. Here's to a fantastic second year. You guys well deserve it.:cool:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congratulations are in order Alex. You figured out the formula that I couldn't :). This is a tough business to succeed in and doing so is quite remarkable.

I tentatively plan to go to Newport this year and if the invitation is good for that, I will stop by. Love to visit my old home town anyway.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Dave & Amir,

Thanks for the very nice, encouraging words :D

Amir,

Of course the invitation is up! Hope to see you at Newport and here in the store as well then!

cheers,
alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Finished setting up the main system tonight, and I'm simply in awe! From cold, the darTZeel pre+power (+ the EXACT module for the MM3s) were incredible, natural, lifelike. This system is already in my top 5 ever, and Kevin will still do the fine tuning tomorrow!

Hopefully some of you folks will be able to stop by and listen over the weekend!

cheers,
alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ready to go!!! Hope to see some of you!!

IMG_5613.jpg
IMG_5612.jpg
IMG_5611.jpg
IMG_5609.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Alex, will the Linn be in use? If so, what cart have you mounted on the Ekos SE? Might be an interesting shoot out between the Linn and the Wave Kinetics. Belt drive vs. Direct drive. Although the Linn has the lesser Lingo3 power supply, I think it would be an interesting test.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Steve,

Excellent! It'll be great to see you again, it's been too long!

Davey,

Yeah, I'm totally in love with the Linn! We have the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze mounted in there, while the Wave Kinetics has the MC Anna, so it's not really a fair comparison there :)
I knew the LP12 would be good, but what really surprised me was the Uphorik phono stage. I hooked that up to the Avantgardes (106dB efficient), and it was dead quiet, very dynamic, transparent and punchy! Not bad for a $2990 box, and it even does XLR in/out!

Anyway, just wanted to remind everybody that the event runs Sat *and* Sunday, so if you can't make it tomorrow, come on Sunday, hours will be noon to 6pm!

cheers,
alex

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just got back from Alma Music and a huge hat's off to Alex and Fabio for hosting such a fun event. It was worth the drive down and I would encourage anyone in the area to get down there tomorrow as it's just a fun place to hang out with a bunch of audiophiles. First off the store is absolutely beautiful and has changed slightly since I was there last year. Robert Harley kicked off the afternoon discussing the history of audio as depicted in his 3 books released on the subject. He had some fun stories to tell. My good friend Jonathan Tinn was present along with Herve all the way from Switzerland to discuss Dartzeel. Jonathan had great music and fun discussion as we listened to many of his speakers but the one that caught my ear was the MM3 Exact. I have slways enjoyed listening to all of Jonathan!'s speakers and an very familiar with the sound. I have never heard the Exact module and this for me made the highlight of my trip. The sound was so much better than the MM3 that I remember. I don't understand it completely but I gather there are filters in the Exact module that are in the MM7 topology( I hope I haven't misstated). Suffice it to say the sound was gorgeous. I could have sat there for hours. Jonathan's Wavekinetics TT with a Durand arm and Ortofon Anna which I own. The Dean Martin album ( which I own) sounded as good as I have ever heard it.

Finally it was a delight to walk into a music store and not only find NO CD's for sale but rather a huge library of vinyl for sale which spilled from every room and through the hall way.

It was good to see KeithR again as well as Eddie Sudz.

Again kudos to Alex and Fabio for a fun afternoon. I wish you guys on going success and what a place to have a store. La Jolla is one of the prettiest cities in Southern California right on the ocean. Alma Music is 2 blocks from the ocean. What could be worse

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing