Allnic H3000 Upgrade

hondo

Aug 21, 2010
After talking to David Beetles (Hammertone Audio) about the upgrade available for the H3000, I had Albert Porter (PorterHouse Audio) up grade my H3000. David described the improvements as "greater dynamics, wider bandwith and soundstaging abilities", Albert's description was similar. My reaction to my upgraded unit is WOW. The upgrade raises the H3000 to a new level.

I would add that I us a Mullard GZ37 brown base rectifier tube.

hondo

Aug 21, 2010
I have upgraded the primary turntable used with the above H3000. I am now using a GZ34 Metal Base 57c (Philips Miniwatt).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
After talking to David Beetles (Hammertone Audio) about the upgrade available for the H3000, I had Albert Porter (PorterHouse Audio) up grade my H3000. David described the improvements as "greater dynamics, wider bandwith and soundstaging abilities", Albert's description was similar. My reaction to my upgraded unit is WOW. The upgrade raises the H3000 to a new level.

I would add that I us a Mullard GZ37 brown base rectifier tube.

So what are the upgrades and are they sactioned by Allnic?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The H3000 has had a few versions. The latest has upgraded the transformers with larger(?) units, I believe Mike Lavigne has the newest version as well.

I have the older (aka year or two or three) H3000 with the older transformers. I have modified the power supply slightly with a B+ switch and a socket adapter to accept an 83 mercury vapor rectifier.

Knowing KS Park's adeptness, I have no doubt the upgrades are great, even though I haven't heard them, but I like my H3000 with the Allnic HA3000 (aka HA2500) nuvistor headamp so much already that I am a happy camper and have not troubled myself with the upgrade.

With the Puritas cartridge, it is hard for me to imagine wanting anything more from a vinyl amplification system.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The H3000 has had a few versions. The latest has upgraded the transformers with larger(?) units, I believe Mike Lavigne has the newest version as well.

I have the older (aka year or two) H3000, with the power supply slightly modified with a B+ switch and a socket adapter to accept an 83 mercury vapor rectifier.

Knowing KS Park's adeptness, I have no doubt the upgrades are great, even though I haven't heard them, but I like my H3000 with the Allnic HA3000 (aka HA2500) nuvistor headamp so much already that I am a happy camper and have not troubled myself with the upgrade.

With the Puritas cartridge, it is hard for me to imagine wanting anything more from a vinyl amplification system.

I had the 3000V (the unit with adjustable RIAA) in house for review and will be writing it up for PFO. Also have the 3000 now. Both feature the transformer update.

As you indicated, the choice of rectifier tube makes a big difference in the sound of the unit, though the stock 5Z3P chinese doesn't sound all that bad. It did some things better than the Mullard CV378 and actually preferred the Chinese tube. The Mullard just sounded whispy, flat and thin. Have a later issue GZ37 (assume the same as Hondo mentioned earlier in the thread) in the new unit and it's better than the CV378 but don't have a Chinese tube around to try at the moment. Of course there are the Mullard Big Bottles that are supposed to be the cat's meow. Mark also sent me a Mullard 5AR4 to try and have a RCA (that David recommends) coming in to for eval.

I'll also try to hear the Puritas but that will require me getting a slightly different arm from VPI because of the cartridge's low compliance.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have gone through a few rectifier types: NOS ST 5z3, NOS ST 5v4, 5ar4(Mullard and Toshiba triple mica). NOS ST bottle 5V4's are worth a try, 5z3' NOS ST bottle all sound great, the mullard and toshiba likewise sound great. The directly heated rectifiers give a somewhat more direct sound, the indirectly heated rectifiers a more romantic, slightly softer rendition.

I did not like the JJ 5ar4 included with my unit originally, a little white and wirey sounding, but every other type of NOS has sounded great.

The 83 mercury vapor adds a deep and liquid character, and is my favorite so far. The usual caveats about mercury vapor tubes apply, however.

Somebody corresponded with me a while ago that the expensive, metal base philips 5ar4 that sell on ebay for hundreds of dollars really was worth getting for the H3000.

hondo

Aug 21, 2010
Correction--I now am using a Mullard GZ34 fat base rectifier tube. I thought that I had the metal base installed when it was the fat base. It is not as sweet as the metal base, but better over all. I would add that the H3000 modification changes the gain selection to 20, 24, 26, & 30 Db (from 22, 26, 28, & 32). I find the two lowest gains are the most dynamic. I think that the gain change may account for some of the improvements.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing