Stereophile and Magico

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
M fremer has a good point ,

The people who design and/or own companies are not necessarily the people who should do musical demos!

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
M fremer has a good point ,

The people who design and/or own companies are not necessarily the people who should do musical demos!

Set thru many Magico demos, never had a problem (nothing special, but pretty standard). As much as I like them, I will never consider listening to a ripped Beatles album, apparently MF preference, a good demo.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Its all good man , he is the just a reviewer any way , with his own taste .
Audiophiles seem like a particular bunch running after the next great review and buying the gear that is in it , and switch it a half a year later with the latest greatest

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Its all good man , he is the just a reviewer any way , with his own taste .
Audiophiles seem like a particular bunch running after the next great review and buying the gear that is in it , and switch it a half a year later with the latest greatest

Nothing particular about us, audiophiles. This is true for just about any hobby these days. A friend that think I am crazy, but already changed cameras 3 times in the past year:rolleyes:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Cannata, congratulations! John Atkinson is reviewing Magico S5 Mk.II speakers.

Let's be completely honest. This is an entertainment business, and one can easily predict that this speaker will win the product of the year award for stereophile. This move is great for magico and stwreophile. But let's also hope that this move is great for audio fans. Let's hope that John Atkinson brings a lot of integrity to his work (as he always does) vs. the usual stooges and pet parrots that wolf uses that humiliate themselves and their publications every time they type the word magico - while spitting in the face of audio fans.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
If Stereophile is indeed doing a review on the S5 Mk2 I only hope that JA brings his plastic tape accelerometer. It would be a damn shame to not see what the better reinforced Top and Bottom plates of the Mk2's cabinet do to its cabinet resonance performance, if anything.

I would also like to double dog dare JA to try and use at least one Class D Hypex based amp with short speaker cables during the review and testing of these Magico's. Ideally an amp that utilizes the Hypex SMPS and not some other linear offering. Do it...Be Brave...Do it!!! I'll tell you the fix if you tell me the unbiased results of your test :)

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Cannata, congratulations! John Atkinson is reviewing Magico S5 Mk.II speakers.

Let's be completely honest. This is an entertainment business, and one can easily predict that this speaker will win the product of the year award for stereophile. This move is great for magico and stwreophile. But let's also hope that this move is great for audio fans. Let's hope that John Atkinson brings a lot of integrity to his work (as he always does) vs. the usual stooges and pet parrots that wolf uses that humiliate themselves and their publications every time they type the word magico - while spitting in the face of audio fans.

Thank you, it is about time for sure. In terms of "reassurance", after 2 months with the Mk2, I don't need any (although I did get some from MC at Hifi Critics).

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Nothing particular about us, audiophiles. This is true for just about any hobby these days. A friend that think I am crazy, but already changed cameras 3 times in the past year:rolleyes:

With all due respect, this generalization, like most of them, is simply not true if your definition of an "audiophile" includes people who truly enjoy listening to music but don't have a "bottomless wallet".

My speakers are 15+ years old, amp 8, cd player 7, and my newest piece (preamp) is 2 years old.

Newest, latest, greatest may be an appropriate path for some but frankly, it's often about ego and, dare I respectfully say, insecurity. ;)

Best.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thank you, it is about time for sure. In terms of "reassurance", after 2 months with the Mk2, I don't need any (although I did get some from MC at Hifi Critics).

Excellent! Are you itching to upgrade to m3 after you settle in with these guys?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
With all due respect, this generalization, like most of them, is simply not true if your definition of an "audiophile" includes people who truly enjoy listening to music but don't have a "bottomless wallet".

Precisely.

My speakers are 15+ years old, amp 8, cd player 7, and my newest piece (preamp) is 2 years old.

Similar here. Until my switch this year, my speakers were 25 years old; my amp is still 25 years old (albeit with substantial re-build and more recent supplementation with external power supplies). My speaker cables and interconnects are 23 years old. My power conditioner hits age 24. Most recent electronics is CD transport (2 years old), and switch happened only because my old one broke after 21 years.

Newest, latest, greatest may be an appropriate path for some but frankly, it's often about ego and, dare I respectfully say, insecurity. ;)

Best.

Yes, while not always, it's often about ego and insecurity. Lots of insecurity in some cases.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Spoken from a secure man who had to post such insults to feel, superior to others…
Dare I respectfully say ;)

Thedudeabides is the self appointed moderator of this forum. He will soon start typing in green. According to him, he is into music, and all others are twitchy insecure audiophiles.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Precisely.

Similar here. Until my switch this year, my speakers were 25 years old; my amp is still 25 years old (albeit with substantial re-build and more recent supplementation with external power supplies). My speaker cables and interconnects are 23 years old. My power conditioner hits age 24. Most recent electronics is CD transport (2 years old), and switch happened only because my old one broke after 21 years.

Yes, while not always, it's often about ego and insecurity. Lots of insecurity in some cases.

Congratulations!!! You have moved yourself right to the front for the biggest BS post for the month of October. It will be hard for someone to beat.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Congratulations!!! You have moved yourself right to the front for the biggest BS post for the month of October. It will be hard for someone to beat.

Thank you!! I'll take it with pride ;) :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

+1.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I sure hope so. I just ordered a pair of Mcast-Rose S5 MK2 speakers. This is absolutely my last big audio purchase. LOL.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing