Stereophile and Magico

Stereoeditor

Sep 6, 2010
So can we assume that no one in SP has interest in Magico products??

We are interested, of course, but it is complicated, not the least because the bulk of some Magico speakers makes the logistics of a review problematic. See the review Michael Fremer did of the Q5 for an example: http://www.stereophile.com/content/magico-q5-loudspeaker-measurements . Our neglect of the brand has nothing to do with advertising, please note. Until recently, Magico was a regular advertiser in Stereophile.

I just read JVS blog about the tour he took at Magico, and what struck me is the amount of comments his coverage got (did not cover all SP blog postings, but I think it is safe to say that it is way up there in terms of readers interest).

Magico did not like Jason's report, however.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
We are interested, of course, but it is complicated, not the least because the bulk of some Magico speakers makes the logistics of a review problematic. See the review Michael Fremer did of the Q5 for an example: http://www.stereophile.com/content/magico-q5-loudspeaker-measurements . Our neglect of the brand has nothing to do with advertising, please note. Until recently, Magico was a regular advertiser in Stereophile.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Thank you for replying ( I read your post carefully, but I am still not sure why Magico is neglected, after all it is not like YG Sonia or Wilson XLF are easy to maneuver). I do hope we will see some reviews in the near future, as you can imagine, the interest on behalf of your readers is high.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Cannata,

There’s no point arguing about taste, but here’s some economic analysis of what’s going on (based on the facts available publicly):

John Atkinson’s reply actually explains a lot, and makes logical sense. We live in an entertainment economy, even the US presidential campaign has taken that flavor with "Fukcing Wacko" Don vs. "Crooked, sick" Hillary.

For magazines like Stereophile, that compete with other print and online magazines – along with knowledgeable folks on the internet, surest path to long-term success is to mix in lesser brands with blockbuster brands like Magico and Wilson (akin to Star wars or Lady Gaga), that people are interested in reading about, whether they prefer those speakers or not. Even if they don’t like wolf's engineering or wilson's voicing, they still like to talk about them…Stereophile would love to review magico

Coming to magico reviews, Wolf has selected guys to review his speakers who have bought in hook, line, and sinker and are so inspired by the product they are blinded to shortcomings of the speaker. They live and breathe magico. They think the speakers are perfect, and everything else sucks. But there is no perfect speaker in reality – the speaker creates a sound that sparks someone’s imagination of realism or not. In contrast to the magico reviewers, the guys in Stereophile, on the hand, are inquisitive thinkers who look at things from multiple perspectives and proudly state their opinions.

The impression one gets is that wolf is trying to manipulate the reviews by sending to only certain guys, the magico zealots. . Of course, his actions are completely transparent to everyone....

His hand-picked reviewers prefer “transparency to source” distractions from music / analytic colorations vs. “musical transparency”/ euphonic/ musical colorations of vinyl and tubes that most audio fans like.

But now, he seems to have shifted his strategy. By showing with CAT gear, he would like to go where most fans and most the money is: the musicality market. But this change, in effect , is working like judo strategy in reverse. His leverage is working against him.

His strengths and weight - that have been used to bash his competitors have turned into weaknesses. His hand - picked reviewers are now a liability. Audio fans who like musicality could care less what Mr. Analytic Sound himself, Robert "worthless to the audio fan" Harley or "You don't got magico and soulution , so your system sucks" Fritz, or "Sterile" Jon valin , when misses his electro shock therapy treatments and starts recommending "transparency to source " gear in a magazine branded as the absolute sound…

Interesting to see what will happen. Only time will tell...

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Cannata,

There’s no point arguing about taste, but here’s some economic analysis of what’s going on (based on the facts available publicly):

John Atkinson’s reply actually explains a lot, and makes logical sense. We live in an entertainment economy, even the US presidential campaign has taken that flavor with "Fukcing Wacko" Don vs. "Crooked, sick" Hillary.

For magazines like Stereophile, that compete with other print and online magazines – along with knowledgeable folks on the internet, surest path to long-term success is to mix in lesser brands with blockbuster brands like Magico and Wilson (akin to Star wars or Lady Gaga), that people are interested in reading about, whether they prefer those speakers or not. Even if they don’t like wolf's engineering or wilson's voicing, they still like to talk about them…Stereophile would love to review magico

Coming to magico reviews, Wolf has selected guys to review his speakers who have bought in hook, line, and sinker and are so inspired by the product they are blinded to shortcomings of the speaker. They live and breathe magico. They think the speakers are perfect, and everything else sucks. But there is no perfect speaker in reality – the speaker creates a sound that sparks someone’s imagination of realism or not. In contrast to the magico reviewers, the guys in Stereophile, on the hand, are inquisitive thinkers who look at things from multiple perspectives and proudly state their opinions.

The impression one gets is that wolf is trying to manipulate the reviews by sending to only certain guys, the magico zealots. . Of course, his actions are completely transparent to everyone....

His hand-picked reviewers prefer “transparency to source” distractions from music / analytic colorations vs. “musical transparency”/ euphonic/ musical colorations of vinyl and tubes that most audio fans like.

But now, he seems to have shifted his strategy. By showing with CAT gear, he would like to go where most fans and most the money is: the musicality market. But this change, in effect , is working like judo strategy in reverse. His leverage is working against him.

His strengths and weight - that have been used to bash his competitors have turned into weaknesses. His hand - picked reviewers are now a liability. Audio fans who like musicality could care less what Mr. Analytic Sound himself, Robert "worthless to the audio fan" Harley or "You don't got magico and soulution , so your system sucks" Fritz, or "Sterile" Jon valin , when misses his electro shock therapy treatments and starts recommending "transparency to source " gear in a magazine branded as the absolute sound…

Ouch, did JA said all that :confused:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Ouch, did JA said all that :confused:

He would be a rather poor Editor if he took a less than 70 word paragraph and turned it into a +200 word stream of conscious.

Stereoeditor

Sep 6, 2010
after all it is not like YG Sonia or Wilson XLF are easy to maneuver.

No, but the YG does break into parts that are much easier to move around, as does the Wilson. And Wilson provides a wheeled dolly with a built-in scissor jack that can be inserted beneath the speaker, then raised to make it relatively easy to maneuver. Moving the one-piece Magico S7, at 300 lbs is a much more difficult task. :-(

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
No, but the YG does break into parts that are much easier to move around, as does the Wilson. And Wilson provides a wheeled dolly with a built-in scissor jack that can be inserted beneath the speaker, then raised to make it relatively easy to maneuver. Moving the one-piece Magico S7, at 300 lbs is a much more difficult task. :-(

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Not really, my S5 came on casters and were a breeze to move (I believe the S7 is the same way). The Q7 comes with a lift as well.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Cannata,

Wow, that is quite a post. The first statements in bold are demonstrably false. Speaker shortcomings are described and the speakers are acknowledged to not be perfect.

I will add that two of the reviewers who have written very positive reviews of Magico speakers do, in fact, listen to vinyl - Jon Valin and Robert Harley - the Walker and Basis turntables respectfully. Does that mean they are "transparency to source" or "musical transparency"/euphonic/musical colorations of vinyl and tubes that most audio fans like?

Ron, I nominate this for the introspection and hyperbole thread. Laughing out loudly.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I too would like to see a few Magico reviews myself, preferably ones from each price point and not just the elite models. Being greedy and perhaps biased at the same time I would love to see a review of the S3 which is certainly manageable in terms of weight and size. The S5 isn't too much heavier either and has a fairly large following of owners. If for no other reason, I would like to see these reviews for confirmation that they measure as well as one would expect them to given the high tech materials used and all Alumin cabinet construction. Does going thru all that effort and expense really result in a cabinet that is dead'r than its wooden competitors? Inquiring minds and owners alike would like to know.

I think what we really need to do is Clone "JA" and drop off a copy of him to each magazine so they too can measure almost everything that comes thru the doors for review. :D It should be a requirement really. Besides the enjoyable articles one of the main reasons why I still maintain my membership to Stereophile is because of its measurement backed reviews and when something doesn't smell right they aren't afraid to say so.

I had a membership to a previously mentioned magazine above for about a year and found it to be a waste of paper,IMO. I just couldn't get passed how EVERY piece of equipment that comes thru the door for review over there is considered the ultimate in music reproduction. I don't know how anyone could take that magazine seriously but thats a story for another day :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have a question for JA...you say that the Magico speakers are problematical from a weight and size issue. Surely this applies to numerous other speakers as well...many that are, or would be, of great interest to the readership. ( and which many would consider as candidates for SOTA). Are you going to ignore these as well? Or, perhaps a better solution to make the logistics far less problematical, would be to revise your measurement ability/equipment and protocol/location?? IMHO.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
JA seems to have had one too many of those umbrella drinks.. :p

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Why would JA respond given the less than polite / cryptic posts being made?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have a question for JA...you say that the Magico speakers are problematical from a weight and size issue. Surely this applies to numerous other speakers as well...many that are, or would be, of great interest to the readership. ( and which many would consider as candidates for SOTA). Are you going to ignore these as well? Or, perhaps a better solution to make the logistics far less problematical, would be to revise your measurement ability/equipment and protocol/location?? IMHO.

Having helped setup various Wilson models (Maxx 3, Sasha, Alexia) and Magicos (S5, S7, Q3) I have to say, JA has a point.

The fact that you can dismantle Wilsons to smaller parts, makes them much more managable. Shipping and setting up Magicos is a logistical nightmare. I still remember the struggle to bring the Q3 (single crate weighting 600lbs !) to friends apartment on the 4th floor (no lift !). The dealer had to hire the piano movers.

At least the new Magcio S5 mk 2 I'm getting come on casters now. It will be easier to get them out of the crates (you can roll them out now, just like Wilsons). Still heavy though.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Cannata,

Wow, just WOW. What a load of BS.

It seems that a week without Magico bashing from caesar would be incomplete.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Having helped setup various Wilson models (Maxx 3, Sasha, Alexia) and Magicos (S5, S7, Q3) I have to say, JA has a point.

The fact that you can dismantle Wilsons to smaller parts, makes them much more managable. Shipping and setting up Magicos is a logistical nightmare.

At least the new Magcio S5 mk 2 I'm getting come on casters now.

I agree
The seemingly ever increasing weight of a number of high end speakers is a real practical issue for many people.
JA is right to point out that YGs modular construction makes those speakers less of a logistical nightmare.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
JA seems to have had one too many of those umbrella drinks.. :p

We should really appreciate that JA responded here. Sarcasm should not be his reward for doing so.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing