Stereophile and Magico

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Just finished reading SP review of the Wilson Sabrina and I realized that I have not seen any Magico review in SP for years. They seem to review most of the major hi-end brands, so why not Magico? This is no longer a brand on the fringe so it is surprising. In Europe, there are some clear divider between competing Magazines, but that usually relates to the relationship these magazines have with the distributors, but we are talking about US based magazine and a major US manufacturer. Any insights?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
cannata - you do really have a problem with Magico ... you have to post sth about Magico in every thread (mostly negative), to the point you start looking like a forum troll.

Personal comment deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
cannata - you do really have a problem with Magico ... you have to post sth about Magico in every thread (mostly negative), to the point you start looking like a forum troll.

Personal comment deleted.

True, I am a bit obsessed and bored, but no need to be rude, you can just ignore me...

Last edited by a moderator:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
True, I am a bit obsessed and bored (...)

You should get a full range electrostatic - then you can be above these gossip stories of box speakers ... :D

Reactions: steve59

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think Magico was upset after Fremer's review of the Q5. I am not sure why they are that upset, as I thought it was mostly fair from the reader's perspective. Along with Valin's review of the M Project, Fremer's writing is the most insightful magico review out there. Other guys just miss all the shortcomings of the product until the next version comes out (the Q7 vs. Q7 part 2 reviews were exceptionally pathetic; how can you respect those guys?), but most reviewers really are marketing representatives working for manufacturers rather than looking out for the fans.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I think Magico was upset after Fremer's review of the Q5. I am not sure why they are that upset, as I thought it was mostly fair from the reader's perspective. Along with Valin's review of the M Project, Fremer's writing is the most insightful magico review out there. Other guys just miss all the shortcomings of the product until the next version comes out (the Q7 vs. Q7 part 2 reviews were exceptionally pathetic; how can you respect those guys?), but most reviewers really are marketing representatives working for manufacturers rather than looking out for the fans.

I agree, it was a very good review, why would they be upset...

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY

I think they were appropriately annoyed that JA's measurements were taken in MF's driveway.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
You should get a full range electrostatic - then you can be above these gossip stories of box speakers ... :D

If all you do is read stereophile, you wouldn't know anything about horns or panels. Stereophile only reviews the direct radiator boxes. Actually, I counted only two non-direct radiator speakers reviewed over the last 5 years.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I think they were appropriately annoyed that JA's measurements were taken in MF's driveway.

That's a good place to measure them. It's better than the normal place they are measured; inside JA's listening room.

The bottom line is they don't measure well off axis.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Dallas, what exactly does that mean? You mean not sitting in a sweet spot? Why is that important?

Because the off-axis radiation is reflected by room surfaces and influences what is heard at the sweet spot.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal,

Thank you for joining, perhaps you can explain SP review criteria and why some products get reviewed and some not.

I cannot speak for the magazine but only for myself (within the confines of the Editor's rules). It is the Editor's role to balance the content by drawing upon the varied interests of his reviewers along with his own contributions.

Basically, I request, for review, products that interest me. I base my selections on prior history of the product/manufacturer, interesting technology, buzz on the Internet, auditions at shows and shops and, for good measure, inchoate and inconsistent curiosity. Sometimes, I respond positively to requests from manufacturers and, more likely, to the ocassional requests from my Editor. Products for feature reviews must meet the magazine's requirements (spelled out many times) but I have more flexibility in selecting products for review in my column.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I cannot speak for the magazine but only for myself (within the confines of the Editor's rules). It is the Editor's role to balance the content by drawing upon the varied interests of his reviewers along with his own contributions.

Basically, I request, for review, products that interest me. I base my selections on prior history of the product/manufacturer, interesting technology, buzz on the Internet, auditions at shows and shops and, for good measure, inchoate and inconsistent curiosity. Sometimes, I respond positively to requests from manufacturers and, more likely, to the ocassional requests from my Editor. Products for feature reviews must meet the magazine's requirements (spelled out many times) but I have more flexibility in selecting products for review in my column.

So can we assume that no one in SP has interest in Magico products??
FWIW, I just read JVS blog about the tour he took at Magico, and what struck me is the amount of comments his coverage got (did not cover all SP blog postings, but I think it is safe to say that it is way up there in terms of readers interest). Don’t know about the reviews, but as a reader, I can assure you, we are interested ;)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
So can we assume that no one in SP has interest in Magico products??
Obviously, I do not know. What I can say is that I might be interested in reviewing one if we can agree on the right model but it is not at the top of my schedule now. Ask JA or one of the other editors directly rather than here.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Obviously, I do not know. What I can say is that I might be interested in reviewing one if we can agree on the right model but it is not at the top of my schedule now. Ask JA or one of the other editors directly rather than here.

Thank you Kal, I will . If you can PM me a good email to contact JA, it will be great, thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing