New Series 2 versions of 625s2 and 725s2! Early adopters?

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
I am curious to hear what experiences the early adopters of the new Series 2 625 and 725 (s2) have. Both are terrific as-is, but what differences have you noticed with the latest versions?

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I am curious to hear what experiences the early adopters of the new Series 2 625 and 725 (s2) have. Both are terrific as-is, but what differences have you noticed with the latest versions?

I went from the 525 to Continuum S2 to the 625 S2. I never had the opportunity to listen to the 625 S1. I love the 625 S2.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I would like to know if it's worth going from the 625 S2 to the 725?

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
I would like to know if it's worth going from the 625 S2 to the 725?
I had the opportunity to hear the 725s2 amps last weekend. They are really terrific. On a pair of Maggie 3.6s, they sound fantastic, and only got better as they warmed up. Incredibly delicate highs, yet at the same time, powerful. A lot of jaw dropping and laughing and "Holy s--t!". I the amp choice is dependent on speaker choice. Lower sensitivity and lower impedance, combined with dynamic impact makes for heavy power demands, often near instantaneous. Even though the power ratings of the 625s2 and 725s2 are essentially the same, into a tough speaker, they don't sound like it. The 625s1 could sound "strained" during very strong passages, while the 725s1 cruised through the same passages without "skipping a beat". I expect the same with the s2 versions,as the power supply of the stereo 625s2 is the same as EACH mono 725s2.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I had the opportunity to hear the 725s2 amps last weekend. They are really terrific. On a pair of Maggie 3.6s, they sound fantastic, and only got better as they warmed up. Incredibly delicate highs, yet at the same time, powerful. A lot of jaw dropping and laughing and "Holy s--t!". I the amp choice is dependent on speaker choice. Lower sensitivity and lower impedance, combined with dynamic impact makes for heavy power demands, often near instantaneous. Even though the power ratings of the 625s2 and 725s2 are essentially the same, into a tough speaker, they don't sound like it. The 625s1 could sound "strained" during very strong passages, while the 725s1 cruised through the same passages without "skipping a beat". I expect the same with the s2 versions,as the power supply of the stereo 625s2 is the same as EACH mono 725s2.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to try to compare the 625 S2 to the 725 S2's in the same system.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012

What differences do you think I will hear between the two considering I'm driving Monitor Audio PL500's?

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
While I have never heard your speakers, I have sold, installed and voiced a lot of "large scale speakers" e.g. Wilson X1 and X2, Avalon, Revel Salons, Big Maggie's,and also listened at length to others (Magico, Peak Consult, TAD) and I would expect the biggest gains for you will be in dynamics (and not necessarily loud dynamics-more with the "startle factor") and astounding bass control giving depth, speed and tonality. The other big improvement I would expect is the ability to hear deeper into a mix, and the uncanny ability to pull out individual instruments during complex passages, examine, and focus on the next.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
While I have never heard your speakers, I have sold, installed and voiced a lot of "large scale speakers" e.g. Wilson X1 and X2, Avalon, Revel Salons, Big Maggie's,and also listened at length to others (Magico, Peak Consult, TAD) and I would expect the biggest gains for you will be in dynamics (and not necessarily loud dynamics-more with the "startle factor") and astounding bass control giving depth, speed and tonality. The other big improvement I would expect is the ability to hear deeper into a mix, and the uncanny ability to pull out individual instruments during complex passages, examine, and focus on the next.

Are there other amplifiers that I should consider? If so, can you suggest some options?

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
Well, as Guido can tell you, if you can handle a pair of 925s...I recently installed my second set of the 925s. Holy cow!

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Well, as Guido can tell you, if you can handle a pair of 925s...I recently installed my second set of the 925s. Holy cow!

Thanks, but 925s are out of my price range. Is there anything that's a step-up from the JR 625 S2 from other manufactures?

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
There are a lot of amplifier manufacturers out there. I can give you a partial list of amps that have left very fine systems in favor of Jeff Rowland amps: Joule Electra, VAC, Levinson, Wavestreams Kinetics, Ayre, Krell, VTL. Some of those ousted amps were Top of the line models, and very "pricey".

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
There are a lot of amplifier manufacturers out there. I can give you a partial list of amps that have left very fine systems in favor of Jeff Rowland amps: Joule Electra, VAC, Levinson, Wavestreams Kinetics, Ayre, Krell, VTL. Some of those ousted amps were Top of the line models, and very "pricey".

I love the 625 S2, but was looking for something that has the same qualities, but with more power. I'll stay were I am for now!

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
I agree. I think the 725s2s will be what you are looking for, but at twice the price!

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I agree. I think the 725s2s will be what you are looking for, but at twice the price!

There is no doubt in my mind that the 725 S2's are a step-up and if I had the money I would get them...maybe one day to drive my Monitor Audio PL500's. PL500.jpg

Last edited:

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I have the Corus with Model 625 S1, never listen Model 625 S2...So I can't help you...sorry..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing