Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSD512 May Fest in Munich 2016

Addicted to Best!

DSD512 May Fest in Munich 2016

The excitement is building for the DSD 512 Fest on Friday May 6th at BMW World.

We are absolutely delighted that Jussi Laako, the author of HQ Player is going be there, as well as Eno Vandemeer and Rob Darling of Roon

The industry attendee list (alphabetical) also includes
    - Cristiano Bastianelli – Albedo Loudspeakers
    - Mark Coles – Sablon Audio
    - Lawrence Dickie - Vivid Audio
    - Gary Koh – Genesis Loudspeakers
    - Robb Niemann and Norm Steinkie – Rutherford Audio
    - Jarred and Jonas Sacks – Channel Classics & NativeDSD.com

The journalist list includes
    - Michael Lavorgna – Audiostream
    - Jason Serenus – Stereophile
    - Marja and Henk – 6moons
    - Matej Isak – Mono and Stereo
    - Dirk Sommer – HiFi Statement & Positive Feedback
    - Brad Morrical – Positive Feedback

Also attending are about 10 What’s Best Forum and Computer Audiophile members, plus the people who have been instrumental in the Sound Galleries Music Server project

The equipment is as follows
    - Roon and HQ Player doing realtime upconversion of Redbook, Hi Res and DSD 64 & 128 all to DSD 512
    - Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server feeding DSD 512 to : -
    - T+A PDP-3000HV SACD Player DAC and T+A DAC 8 DSD
    - “debut” electronics
    - Vivid Giya G1 speakers
    - All of the interconnects and speaker cabling is from Sablon Audio’s portfolio of highly praised cables

The debut electronics are mono blocks from Taiko Audio, a new Dutch start up electronics manufacturer who also did the lion’s share of the engineering and design of the SGM 2015.

Coming very soon are photos of all of this exciting new gear

The event is actually overbooked, but if you would like to come, send me an e-mail to eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com

There is also a public viewing time from 2pm to 6pm on Friday May 6th
    Sound Test, Monaco
    Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland
    e-mail eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to it. Really hope that you'll have a couple of days to set up the system and warm it up before people start arriving.

That should be kool Gary.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    I'm looking forward to it. Really hope that you'll have a couple of days to set up the system and warm it up before people start arriving.
    Hi Gary,

Unfortunately we only access to the space the day before, but we are doing the following to get the system run in as much as possible
    - we received all of the cabling pre-cooked from Sablon Audio a week ago. This week we are going to hook up the event system, but without the Giyas

- today we assemble the servers for event
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  879.9 KB
    - on April 30, we take our electronics and cabling to the Vivid's German distributor in Paderborn to hook them up to the Giya G1 which already have hundreds of hours on them. Here we will have the full system running.

At BMW World we will have our well run in power distribution boxes, so no "new" power cabling in the system

The big news is the leap in sound quality Roon 1.2 brings to delivering content to HQ Player. We had to do a new OS build, but OMG, we now have ultimate browsing and discovery of music combined with ultimate sound quality playback at DSD512
    Last edited by EuroDriver; 04-20-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    Sound Test, Monaco

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Elberoth's Avatar
    Are you gonna put fan in there ?
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: MSB M202 / D'Agostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Golden Gate DSD only + Lampi DSD Komputer server
    Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Are you gonna put fan in there ?
    Hi Adam,

Great question ! The case you see in the photos is actually our second from the ground up design. The first design looked gorgeous, but did not have the cooling capacity we needed for the CPU loads we wanted to use. We did a new design with custom CNC milled copper heatsinks. According to the calculations, the cooling capacity should have be sufficient, but we did not want to take a chance of the CPU getting too warm and throttling the performance, so we provided a space and mounting points for a fan.

Well we just ran the heat and load tests, and the cooling performance is very very good, even better than a Noctua 12 cooler with fan ! We have never seen such low and in particular stable CPU core temperatures, and this is running a prime number computation torture test.

A big thumbs up to our supplier who fits this CPU block to PC's in sealed cases that are fitted to battle tanks, are our heat sink supplier who did the CNC machining. Each CPU heat pipe has its own adjustable pressure pad

See you in 2 weeks

Edward
    Sound Test, Monaco

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Fresh from the "is cd better than vinyl" thread, this is the demo that may shake my pre existing preference for analog.
    I'm fully aware of vinyl's shortcomings wrt digital, but I always come back to lp, since how it balances it's compromises I deem more palatable. Digital may well have better specs, performance parameters etc, but analog gets the holistic balance more right TO MY EARS.
    I will know if my worldview is being shattered if I melt into the music and get taken by the moment. If I do, the other attributes of digital that are on paper superior like dynamic range, lowwer noise floor etc, will become a whole lot more relevant/impressive.

Anything has got to be better than the awful 80s time warp that was the worst digital I've heard in a LOOONG time, the Metronome 2 box cdp at the UK launch of ML neoliths.
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm, Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Stacore isolation platforms, Symposium Isis rack & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas & Elites cbls/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets, SR Black fuses, Entreq Silver Tellus grndng.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    My apologies for my ignorance about DSD512, but what type of converters are used in the T+A DAC 8 DSD? The DSD data is transmitted in the standard DOP way between the HQplayer server and the DAC?
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's , Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : cj GAT + cj LP275m's, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables ...

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    My apologies for my ignorance about DSD512, but what type of converters are used in the T+A DAC 8 DSD? The DSD data is transmitted in the standard DOP way between the HQplayer server and the DAC?
    The T+A DAC 8 DSD has separate PCM and DSD converters.

The PCM conversion is handled by 4 TI/BB PCM 1795 DAC chips, is a similar configuration as was in the DAC 8

The DSD conversion is T+A's own in-house design which first appeared in T+A's PDP-3000HV. They took a similar group of mostly discrete components and made space for it on the PCB which was used in the DAC 8

The 1-bit DSD converter is supposed to be a "moving average" design. T+A have implemented two selectable Low Pass filters. For DSD 64, there is no choice, the lower frequency filter is used. For DSD 128, DSD 256 and DSD 512, there is a choice and the higher frequency filter sounds much better.

For DSD 512, the only driver which is available is a Windows ASIO driver which allows the transmission of native DSD format stream, so no DOP
    Sound Test, Monaco

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDriver View Post
    The T+A DAC 8 DSD has separate PCM and DSD converters.

The PCM conversion is handled by 4 TI/BB PCM 1795 DAC chips, is a similar configuration as was in the DAC 8

The DSD conversion is T+A's own in-house design which first appeared in T+A's PDP-3000HV. They took a similar group of mostly discrete components and made space for it on the PCB which was used in the DAC 8

The 1-bit DSD converter is supposed to be a "moving average" design. T+A have implemented two selectable Low Pass filters. For DSD 64, there is no choice, the lower frequency filter is used. For DSD 128, DSD 256 and DSD 512, there is a choice and the higher frequency filter sounds much better.

For DSD 512, the only driver which is available is a Windows ASIO driver which allows the transmission of native DSD format stream, so no DOP
    Thanks. Does this mean we have to use a specific version of Windows to listen in DSD512?
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's , Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : cj GAT + cj LP275m's, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast