Artists that you just don't/can't connect with!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We all have a band or a singer that just doesn't do anything for you. They may be extremely talented and highly successful, but you just can't bare listening to them or their music.

For me that artist is Neil Diamond.

Sadly for Neil or his fans I can't truly pinpoint a particular reason for the way I feel...I just know that I have been unable to bring myself to appreciate his output.

John

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I second Neil Diamond but I will add the Rolling Stones... There was a thread about Mike Oddfiel ' Tubular Bells and I couldn't connect with it either. I heard it many years ago and while it is good, nothing I would have bought after first hearing if it weren't for you John, :mad: almost comparing it to Mozart or Beethoven in term of staying power.. Such Heresy !! :)

There are several others ..

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Not the Stones Frantz ????

I am shocked...one of the great Rock groups of all time

BTW, I guess I should be embarrassed to say that I have seen Neill Diamond at least 6-7 times. A former patient of mine was his ticket manager and always got me great seats. Last time I went I sat next to Henry Winkler (the Fonz)and his wife

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No reason to be embarressed Steve! And I'm a bit suprised about Franz' selection of The Rolling Stones, but hey....it's how he feels so it's all good.

John

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Nope ... never floated my boat ... To me the greatest rock group of all times is Led Zeppelin... They were so far ahead it is mind boggling .. classic .. no Classic is the only epithet that comes to mind when one thinks about the Led...Oh! we were talking about Artist we can't connect with ... Sorry :eek:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I like other Michael Oldfield opus mostly better than Tubular Bells. I don't care for Frank Sinatra, but I like Dean Martin. Barbara Streisand is a non starter, she is too much kitsch and not enough sincerity.
I don't especially like much of the Stones, either, would not pay money to see/hear them. I think some of the earlier British rock/blues bands like Deep Purple and even Uriah Heep, Ten Years After, and Savoy Brown are much, much better. I don't like the Beatles much, the Stones and the Beatles to me are more of a "fame" phenomenon than a music phenomenon.
Yoko Ono was John Lennon's booger flipping revenge on his public, he showed that he could make even an execrable, cat fence shrieker famous for no particular reason.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I like other Michael Oldfield opus mostly better than Tubular Bells. I don't care for Frank Sinatra, but I like Dean Martin. Barbara Streisand is a non starter, she is too much kitsch and not enough sincerity.
I don't especially like much of the Stones, either, would not pay money to see/hear them. I think some of the earlier British rock/blues bands like Deep Purple and even Uriah Heep, Ten Years After, and Savoy Brown are much, much better. I don't like the Beatles much, the Stones and the Beatles to me are more of a "fame" phenomenon than a music phenomenon.
Yoko Ono was John Lennon's booger flipping revenge on his public, he showed that he could make even an execrable, cat fence shrieker famous for no particular reason.

Steve...we need an LOL smiley, because I just howled at that.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A few of my friends say that about Joe Cocker, but I love him!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Lionel Ritchie

I like R&B and Pop but I could never connect with his music somehow.

Steve Williams

Amen Lee. I never could get into the "boss" and his Manhattan sized ego.

oh man now I am really bummed. IMO the Boss gives one of the best performances of a rock band plus the songs he writes, word wise and message wise are terrific. Plus he gives one very long concert so bring some nutrition.

he's from the Jersey Shores, although you can see Manhattan across the River

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Iggy Pop....I still don't understand it.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The Grateful Dead. Pink Floyd.

Tim

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
So many, it's hard to know where to start:confused:

Miley Cyrus... don't get it?

Madonna...

Lady Gaga...well maybe :D

Britney Spears...:)

These are just a few that don't seem to float my boat:rolleyes:

Steve Williams

Well, I'm in good company! Aside from one cut on Sticky Fingers, the Stones have never done a thing for me.

Ken

Get the BD Version of Martin Scorcese's Shine a Light. Turn off the lights, turn up the volume and I bet you will like it.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bob Dylan. I have a friend who couldn't believe that I wouldn't care much for Bob's music that he constantly played record after record of Dylan's 'hits' for me and in the end, I still couldn't connect with his music. I prefer Joan Baez singing his songs though. Same here for the Stones, Kate Bush and Pink Floyd, couldn't connect with them either.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
So many, it's hard to know where to start:confused:

Miley Cyrus... don't get it?

Madonna...

Lady Gaga...well maybe :D

Britney Spears...:)

These are just a few that don't seem to float my boat:rolleyes:

DaveyF we are talking about Artist :)

Same here, I will however say that I have never heard an entire song by Lady Gaga , I don't know enough about her ;) . I remain also amazed by Madonna's staying power .. I thought Cindy Lauper would have been the one to last but .. similar in my view to Christina Aguilera vs Britney Spears, another Mickey Mouse Club alumni. Christina can sing, I am not sure what Britney does, qualifies for such ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing