The Bass is the place!!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
We read listening experience after listening experience. We travel all over to listen to other systems and attempt to 'upgrade' the SQ of our own systems...and all along we seem to be fighting the one thing that is the bane of our a'phile existence:(.
IMO, that thing is getting the bass to sound realistic ( read accurate, extended and NOT boomy) in our rooms. Most speaker manufacturer's seem to have as much trouble designing their speakers to allow for bass...never mind accurate and extended bass. Many/Most simply give up and give us a smaller cabinet with a small or mid size bass driver ( pretty safe). Some ( Like Wilson and a few others) give you a larger cabinet, BUT with the consequence of much higher price and more complexity. The result, depending on the listener's room is bass that can be reasonably accurate, BUT nowhere near what we hear 'live' or in the concert hall! Unlike the other frequencies that the speaker has to contend with and reproduce...mids and highs, IMHO the bass is the place!!
As the impressions of the ML Neolith speaker are being made available to us, the bass and its 'issues' are still a BIG ( MAJOR) part of its perceived flaws.
Add sub woofers and maybe the bass comes more into focus..or you end up with the 'boom' that most of us detest. Too bad that this hobby and music in general, relies so heavily of the bottom end reproduction....and that almost no speaker ( or designer) seems to have an easy time with it. Lets face it, how many times can you count, that the bass wasn't an issue with the SQ ( or in one's system)...perfect pitch, extension, accuracy, resolution and definition. Plus, the room worked like a charm to support all of that......

The Bass-----is the place!:D:D :(
Your thoughts......................

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
You can get accurate, extended bass, it just doesn't easily come in small packages or small rooms.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
You can get accurate, extended bass, it just doesn't easily come in small packages or small rooms.

Perhaps, but how accurate is it, really?

Certainly in small rooms (BTW, how are we defining 'small rooms'?) it is exceedingly difficult. IME, the extension to, at or below 20hz ,in a small room is almost impossible.
In my small room I can just about generate 35Hz with 'reasonable' accuracy. However, there is still a lot of info below 35hz and I believe the lower the number, the harder it is to get 'accurate' and
'defined'. I suspect that a lot of us think we are getting great bass ( see my description in my OP)...down to 20hz and below, when in fact we are not!

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Perhaps, but how accurate is it, really?

Certainly in small rooms (BTW, how are we defining 'small rooms'?) it is exceedingly difficult. IME, the extension to, at or below 20hz ,in a small room is almost impossible.
In my small room I can just about generate 35Hz with 'reasonable' accuracy. However, there is still a lot of info below 35hz and I believe the lower the number, the harder it is to get 'accurate' and
'defined'. I suspect that a lot of us think we are getting great bass ( see my description in my OP)...down to 20hz and below, when in fact we are not!

There are ways, not by ear alone, and usually not without subwoofers to get excellent bass down to 20Hz and below, even, if that is something you want. I am quite confident that I have it down to 18 or so Hz. I do not need more frequency extension than that.

If your ears tell you you are not getting 20Hz bass, but a measurement mike says you are, which is right? Sorry for bringing that up. Your ears are always right, and measurements are always wrong, as we know.

caesar

May 30, 2010

That is an excellent point. People talk about not needing treatments in larger rooms, but if the room is too large (or you are listening outside), the bass sucks also...

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
The room defines the bass ... so to get accurate bass at listening position .. no matter what the speaker .. you have to treat the room , position the listening chair properly and use DSP
Problem with big speakers is that the positioning for mids/treble/imaging is oftern not ideal for the bass side
I get exceptional bass in my 8m x 6m room...
How did I gret there

Well I have 4 massive subs and speakers capable of outperforming the subs

The 4 subs are used in a toole/geddes/welti arrangement in that they destructively drive nodes ..IE they dont give much more bass , but are used to smooth the rooms bass response
To do this I use DSP on all 4 subs
Thereafter , I tackle the mains and the subs by using DIRAC to see the system as a whole
I tweak by ear after
the room is treated with some bass traps , but they cannot in any way handle the huge peaks in the room .. only DSP can

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'd say it like this: you need speakers (or subs too) that offer the capability to produce bass at the frequencies you desire AND the ability to play LOUDER than you may wish. In this manner, you may apply room correction (which often cuts the signal) and still have acceptable output levels.

Lee

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think the ability to produce 'accurate' and highly resolving bass is not as simple as some of us might believe. Having the ability to produce the frequencies and the volume is only part of the story, IMHO. There is something about being able to produce 'precise' bass that most systems ...maybe all systems, struggle to achieve. Room correction is IME only one part of the equation.....there's a lot more. Personally, I have heard very very few systems that can produce highly defined bass notes.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Love the tagline Davey. Put a smile on my face :).

As Rodney said, the room is the #1 problem in bass. The speaker plays a minor role in how good it is, until you fix the room. Then you get to hear the nature of the bass from the speaker itself. Here is the measurement of how bass varies in each seat in a room: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/subwoofer-low-frequency-optimization.15/

Just moving 3 feet causes a large change, proving this is a room effect, not speaker. And that change 100% matches the subjective terminology you use. Boominess comes from exaggerated notes when those peaks occur. And in time domain, they cause ringing which adds insult to injury by extending said boomy notes.

Unless measures are taken with careful positioning of the speakers, listening position, EQ, treatment, subs, etc., you are guaranteed to have bass problems. It doesn't matter if you have $500 subwoofer for the $104,000 new ALEXX speaker from Wilson which despite being in a large conference room at AXPONA, it still sounded boomy.

This is not to say that the speaker doesn't matter. Once you peel the effect of the room, then you start hearing the low frequencies from the amp and speaker. If it bottoms out, gets distorted, these are things you need to fix but not before the room.

prerich

May 21, 2012
I'd say it like this: you need speakers (or subs too) that offer the capability to produce bass at the frequencies you desire AND the ability to play LOUDER than you may wish. In this manner, you may apply room correction (which often cuts the signal) and still have acceptable output levels.

Lee
Excellent simple explanation :cool:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
As Rodney said, the room is the #1 problem in bass. The speaker plays a minor role in how good it is, until you fix the room.

Hello Amir

I don't agree as I see it both the room and the speakers in equal measure. I don't care how good your room is if the speakers bass response is peaked or irregular it is going to be an issue. You also have to look at the low frequency extension and power handling . If the system can't do what you need it's all a moot point. You need to have a speaker up front that can do what you need placement comes second. Having a treated room doesn't fix everything there is no magic bullet.

Hello

If your ears tell you you are not getting 20Hz bass, but a measurement mike says you are, which is right? Sorry for bringing that up. Your ears are always right, and measurements are always wrong, as we know.

I think you have that flipped:) You can easily measure 20Hz and not hear it, all depends on the SPL. At those low frequencies you need quite a high level signal to hear it. Go checkout the Fletcher Molson curves.

Rob:)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Unless measures are taken with careful positioning of the speakers, listening position, EQ, treatment, subs, etc., you are guaranteed to have bass problems. It doesn't matter if you have $500 subwoofer for the $104,000 new ALEXX speaker from Wilson which despite being in a large conference room at AXPONA, it still sounded boomy.

This is not to say that the speaker doesn't matter. Once you peel the effect of the room, then you start hearing the low frequencies from the amp and speaker. If it bottoms out, gets distorted, these are things you need to fix but not before the room.

From my perspective, you are absolutely correct. Time and again I have verified this myself in my system, where sitting close to the woofers the bass is really good, and when moving away it becomes less articulate.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Hello Amir

I don't agree as I see it both the room and the speakers in equal measure. I don't care how good your room is if the speakers bass response is peaked or irregular it is going to be an issue. You also have to look at the low frequency extension and power handling . If the system can't do what you need it's all a moot point. You need to have a speaker up front that can do what you need placement comes second. Having a treated room doesn't fix everything there is no magic bullet.

Hello

I think you have that flipped:) You can easily measure 20Hz and not hear it, all depends on the SPL. At those low frequencies you need quite a high level signal to hear it. Go checkout the Fletcher Molson curves.

I cannot really recall seeing any recent anechoic measurements on any decent speakers or subwoofers that had peaks in the bass. Yes, they have rolloff and some limit to their LF extension. So, how come in your room they have peaks? Hint: It is not the speaker.

And, acoustic treatments for bass peaks or dips are difficult because they must be huge to deal with bass wavelengths. Off the shelf treatments, even pricey ones, are largely ineffective in the deep bass below 100Hz. EQ has become a much more widespread choice, even by acousticians, for that reason.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all. IMO, the lower frequencies are the hardest to design, implement and realistically reproduce. There are so many factors that come into play here. If one has a system that reproduces the lower frequencies that blends well, measures well AND sounds like a full frequency system without the typical deficiencies many experience, that person should be proud for it is not an easy task.

In my travels, very few systems get the lower frequencies where they have the potential to be.

Tom

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I cannot really recall seeing any recent anechoic measurements on any decent speakers or subwoofers that had peaks in the bass. Yes, they have rolloff and some limit to their LF extension. So, how come in your room they have peaks? Hint: It is not the speaker.

I am not talking about what's happening in my room just pointing out that the speaker has to be able to do what you want it to do. You should take a look at JA's measurements at Stereophile not all of those systems have a smooth bass response by any means. Fixing the room can't fix a flawed speaker design or one that can't go as low as you would like at the SPL's you need.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hello all. IMO, the lower frequencies are the hardest to design, implement and realistically reproduce. There are so many factors that come into play here. If one has a system that reproduces the lower frequencies that blends well, measures well AND sounds like a full frequency system without the typical deficiencies many experience, that person should be proud for it is not an easy task.

In my travels, very few systems get the lower frequencies where they have the potential to be.

Tom
+1

This is my experience as well.
The ability of a system to accurately portray bass and therefore resolve bass to a very high degree seems to be rare in our hobby, imho.
Unfortunately, I do not think that fixing room nodes is the only answer ... Although it is certainly part of the equation.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i agree that 'bass is the place'.

i 'think' I'm there on full frequency bass reproduction with balance, extension, and speed. but it's not been easy.

one huge advantage my approach has is that the speakers are truly full range, and completely integrated. no add-on crossovers or cobbled subwoofer integration into already full range speakers. the Evolution Acoustics MM7's twin tower (7 feet tall, 750 pound each tower) design has the main passive towers rolled off at the bottom so they seamlessly integrate with the active adjustable bass towers. the speakers are rated -3db @ 7hz and -6db @ 3hz. each bass tower has a pair of 1000 watt amps which each power -2- 15" subwoofers. the main towers each have -4- 11" ceramic woofers too. so that is a huge amount of driver surface which results in very low excursion.

the bass and main towers are laser aligned for time, and the 1st order crossover is phase aligned. the coherent waveform launch results in really articulate bass performance.

and I've finally solved my room bass problem. last summer i plugged up the last opening to the 'whole ceiling' bass trap and my one baggabo of a suckout at 30hz went away.

so I've got a large room, flat in the bass, with essentially unlimited headroom and extension.

i fought the room and it's nasties for 11 years and i finally conquered the bass. and everything now just flows and there is such an ease and authority to everything. i would never use the term perfect, but it's everything and more than i could ever expect to hear in the bass.

has my way over-the-top efforts including building a dedicated room been worth it? (it's a question)

what does this bass performance mean for the music in the big picture? there is simply a significantly greater overall degree of suspension of disbelief in the music now, and a level of involvement previously not present. like a bridge was crossed not previously even seen. less reproduced, more of something real.

the bass is the hard part. since every moment of our consciousness we experience a real world sense of space and authority in our lives. when a sound system can approach that more closely we relax and allow the musical message to pass through as something closer to real.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
so I've got a large room, flat in the bass, with essentially unlimited headroom and extension.
In the world of acoustic science, your room is considered small. That aside, are you saying without any bass traps or EQ you have flat bass? And you credit the speakers with it?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
In the world of acoustic science, your room is considered small.

for home audio speakers it's considered a large room. 21' x 29' x 11'.

That aside, are you saying without any bass traps or EQ you have flat bass? And you credit the speakers with it?

(1) no, I don't credit my speakers for a relatively flat room.....however the adjustability of my speakers helps to close the final gap to a smooth frequency response. and the fact there are 4 sets of pairs of powered adjustable subwoofers does offer a tune-ablity lacking in most integrated speaker systems. there is analog EQ (4 separate different adjustments) in the bass adjustments of each pair of subwoofers.

18 months ago my speaker designer spent 2 days in my room setting up my speakers. he discovered that I had a significant suck-out at 30hz but otherwise the room was very flat. he strongly suspected that my ceiling bass trap (open baffles into my ceiling soffits) was the source of the suck out. he had to make serious adjustments to the bass towers to get it to sound ok. back in 2010 I had removed other bass traps, and closed up much of the open baffles in the ceiling. but the last of these open baffles needed to be closed. I tried for a year to find a contractor to close these up. finally last August my son and I did the dirty deed.

(2) there are still 4 smaller (11' x 2' x 2') built in bass traps in the rear of the room.

(3) my room may, in fact, be very flat. but I don't claim that as I've not measured myself. I do know that after I closed up the ceiling trap that I had to radically adjust the bass tower settings to dramatically reduce the bass volume gain among other settings due to the elimination of the suck out. and I know that the bass performance has dramatically improved since this event, and every visitor since then has said the same thing.

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
All the bass nasties are totally deprendant on listening position .. so before you do any bass tuning , you need to nail down where you sitting..
Bass correction is done to suit that position.. and in fact , even if "fixed" , bass can be a lot worse than before at other positions in the room.

Yes.. bass is hard to get right , especially if like me , you love bass heavy material and play at some serious (lifelike) levels .. the louder you go , the more difficult

Flat is not what is wanted in the bass at listening position .. flat will sound very bass light.. ideally you want at least a 3db per octave slope upwards from 150hz down to the lowest bass your system can reproduce (house curve , room gain)
Bad bass just infects the whole audio spectrum and system..vital it's fixed to enjoy the rest and not have it masked via boom.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing