Magico FINALLY finds Musicality!!! - Thanks to CAT Preamp and Monoblocks!!!!!!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If you search for "convergent audio technology" you will immediately find plenty of interesting information, including many reviews.

Wow, that really works. Now explain to me why everyone in the PNW calls Coeur D'alene, CDA and yet Google, maps, and everything else digital refuses to recognize CDA and makes you spell it out even though hardly anyone can recall the right spelling!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Wow, that really works. Now explain to me why everyone in the PNW calls Coeur D'alene, CDA and yet Google, maps, and everything else digital refuses to recognize CDA and makes you spell it out even though hardly anyone can recall the right spelling!

I think you and I posted virtually simultaneously... so see above.

On another thought, Ken Stevens of CAT has been a long time admirer of the 81 db efficient MBLs, and MBLs need a lot oomph to make their bass sound realistic. In fact, many SS amps FAIL at that, as I unfortunately learned while fukking up my back many, many times....

I don't know of any tube amp that can make visceral bass like CAT...a 100W CAT amp destroyed my VTL 750 when it came to bass (and also had much better highs).

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I've mentioned this in another thread, but 1 watt used by an amp is not necessarily 1 watt of acoustic sound. Different amps can do more and less depending on design (and speaker design), even when it comes to similar designs. There are a lot of ways to sink current into things that don't equal sound. I've heard 15w sound bigger and more powerful than 250w, so there is not only the use of the watts but the character of them to consider as well. You can have the impression of wimpy and the hammer of god from the same db reading on different gear. But ultimately is you continue to crank volume, at some point the higher wattage device usually will go farther without clipping... at levels you would never listen to typically.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'll see what I can do. Too bad sound doesn't come through in pics!

It can, through subjective/subliminal imagination, and measurement's interpretation.
We take your word for it, it is more than satisfying enough. To me anyway, I cannot speak for others who might have different views in their own room with their own cables and setups.

How are you doing Ian, any good flick recently?

Gardener

Sep 23, 2017
So agree
So much a matter of taste
No right or wrong
But for me tubes and magic is so right
I have ARC but have always loved CAT

Yes, of course. Everything is completely subjective in this hobby. It is kind of redundant to say "IMHO" after every sentence or post when discussing gear impressions, so I assume the subjectivity is understood.

As far as tastes and preferences go, I have no doubt that there are fights between Magico - D'agostino and Magico - Soulution owners about which combo is more "euphonic" or more "sterile" or more "accurate".

Yet it is too bad that so few people have heard Magico - CAT so they may decide for themselves. Something like CAT may really help expand the Magico brand to a wider audience

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
CAT customer service, noisy transformers and reliability have poor reputation over the years. Any improvements? I considered CAT amps and past owners begged me to stay away.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
CAT customer service, noisy transformers and reliability have poor reputation over the years. Any improvements? I considered CAT amps and past owners begged me to stay away.

You are addressing a critical point for owners outside the US. I have owned a great sounding CAT preamplifier long ago, but unfortunately the CAT service was an utterable nightmare. A pity, because Ken Stevens designs sound really good.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
You are addressing a critical point for owners outside the US. I have owned a great sounding CAT preamplifier long ago, but unfortunately the CAT service was an utterable nightmare. A pity, because Ken Stevens designs sound really good.
It's a critical point regardless of location dealing with heavy amps. A former JL-3 Signature Mono owner said Ken Steven always blame problems on shipping. Last time he drove the amp from his home in western Canada to NY have them repair. He bought them new, transformer buzzing ... finally had enough and sold them at a big loss.

This was years ago so has things improved?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Firstly, I would like to say that I have owned my highly modded CAT preamp for more than twenty years with absolutely no issues whatsoever. So, AFAIK the reliability factor is a myth. Secondly, I have turned on many other a'philes to Ken's gear, and none of them have been anything less than extremely pleased with the results.
Ken does have an occasional 'hiccup' with his supply chain, but I have never heard of anything that he or his company have done that wouldn't rectify the problem to the customer's satisfaction. As a further point, I recently turned on an a'phile friend in another state ( and absolutely NO novice to this hobby!) This friend was very pleased with his JL5 acquisition and on my further recommendation with his subsequent CAT Renaissance Black Path acquisition. The CAT gear replaced some very pricey VAC gear and also some Border Patrol SET gear...I can tell you that I almost envy my friends new acquisitions. For those who continue to perpetrate the myth about Ken's gear being unreliable.and failing upon set-up....well:(

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Cat is great gear own the pre for about 6 OR 7 years and the poweramp for a about 4.
Transformer noise is Little bit there but is Common among tube poweramps.
Best Gear ive had so far big recemondation.

caesar

May 30, 2010
If you want to deal with Maria Callas, you know you are dealing with a prima donna. If you want to deal with elite gear, same thing sometimes. These are all very small productions, after all.

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
i had noisy transformers with my JL5 so i asked the Dealer. He told me that i should try a Power Regenerator and as i do have a Ps Audio P10, i tried. So: no noise anymore and still explosive dynamics!
I love the JL5!

Reactions: CKKeung and Bodhi

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
i had noisy transformers with my JL5 so i asked the Dealer. He told me that i should try a Power Regenerator and as i do have a Ps Audio P10, i tried. So: no noise anymore and still explosive dynamics!
I love the JL5!

If your audio dealer can lend you a PS Audio P20, you shall be ...
Hehe

Reactions: microstrip

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Cat is great gear own the pre for about 6 OR 7 years and the poweramp for a about 4.
Transformer noise is Little bit there but is Common among tube poweramps.
Best Gear ive had so far big recemondation.

Yes, it is an old issue with CAT equipment when used with 50 Hz mains. Sorry I find it very disturbing and unacceptable in high-end equipment at these prices. Surely they are not alone - I have also ruled out some other equipment because of it . Probably not an issue in the US with good quality mains. IMHO and YMMV, as always.

Reactions: shakti

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If your audio dealer can lend you a PS Audio P20, you shall be ...
Hehe
Interesting...i tried the old PS Audio reference unit perhaps 10 years ago. Much has no doubt changed and likely improved. How do you compare the P20 to other big units...Shunyata, Isoclean, even Tripoint? Most intrigued...

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Here are the Magico S5 Mk2's with Cat JL3 Statement mono's & CAT SL1 Legend preamp at the New York Audio Show, 2018. The source is an unknown cd player. Not the best setup unfortunately. My keen eye spotted the S5 Mk2's were still on their coasters, and the Cat mono's are just sitting on the carpet. Also no vinyl rig, room treatments or power conditioner :eek:. Still the quality and synergy of the S5 Mk2's with CAT amps shines through in the video.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks for posting the video. I heard these speakers at Myles Astor's place and that system sounded excellent and very different from the sound of this video over my iMac. Here it sounds like listening to a pair of headphones.

I've always wondered why people choose tall and skinny racks over low and wide racks. To me, this just looks weird and unstable. At a minimum, I would have closed the shades to cover the glaring light and metal HVAC cover. Not the best demo IMO.

Reactions: Bodhi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing