Top 10 Most Expensive Speakers

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have no doubt there is a niche group that will get any of these gems, I am happily parked and enjoying my setup :)

True and right you are to a point .. There is no guarantee that many of these are truly "gems".. for several on this list, it could be that their only distinction is their stratospheric price

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
If anyone has seen the room (hall) that the Kharma's were originally set up in, the owner would have been better buying a proper night club set up. I think the room was part of a castle

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
One might as well get a Funktion One rig http://www.funktion-one.com/

I'm sure most of you are too old (just stirring!) to have heard one of these in action. They are seriously impressive.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
So has anyone actually heard a pair of these speakers??

Rob:)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I did hear the Acapella and liked what I heard in an Hi Fi show in Germany. it might have been the second model in their line-up don't rememebr exactly. I think I did hear the MBX at a CES some years ago and what I heard wasn't convincing ...

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I've been listening to the Magico Ultimates almost on a monthly basis the past year or so.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Now the $64,000 question. Would any of you purchase them if you had the money?? Do you think the $$$ difference between what you have now and those systems are worth it??

Rob:)

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
For me - no. But I might consider getting myself a nice pair of dynamic speakers someday and keep my CLS's to swap in and out. I'm thinking Avalon Indra's or Wilson Sasha's.

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
not tempted in the slightest. I doubt an audition would change that, I have been disappointed too many times by the big names now....(not specifically these ten of course, never heard them)

interesting addendum to that question, if you were tempted, what 'thing' is causing the temptation? What I mean is (for example) I have seen some say that 'diy cannot ever equal commercial offerings', dunno guess he has his rationalizations for that (like these designers are some sort of gurus that know their stuff, or that they can get drivers modified that we cannot yada yada).

To my way of thinking that simply makes him audiophile cannon fodder, but what the heck. Anyway, that guy would automatically have to think those would be better than diy (ie mine) because they are BOTH expensive and commercial!

so if you were temped, why? (reputation, number of drivers, expensive so has to be good...what??)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For me the temptation is visual. I mean what else could it be right? :) If I were actually in the market for something that costs as much as any of these however, I would still have to hear them in action. Also if I had the green, that would also imply I have the green to fly off to here 'em.

Hey Terry, one thing for sure is anything I DIY would be crushed by a commercial offering. Anything I DIY tends to either burst into flames or at least belch out smoke ;) ;) ;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey Terry, one thing for sure is anything I DIY would be crushed by a commercial offering. Anything I DIY tends to either burst into flames or at least belch out smoke ;) ;) ;)

Jack,

I kinda know that would happen to me too very early on in my audio life, and that prevented me from doing any DIY jobs and it's a real good thing I never did. LOL It was like disaster-prevention. LOL

Last edited:

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada

Perfect 8 The Force

Heard it and actually impressed by it...

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Steve,

At The Sound Chamber in Hong Kong. I acutally bumped into Alon Wolf setting up the system when I dropped by one morning. I am visiting Hong Kong again tomorrow and will drop by The Sound Chamber some time in the next few days. I saw them unpacking the new FM Acoustic Inspiration speaker system two weeks ago. I hope to listen to them this time.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Robh3606,

Why not? I would purchase the Magico Ultimate system if I had the money and the space.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing