Rogue One - A Star Wars Story

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Wow!!

Looks awesome. But another female lead? Honestly that just feels political after the Force Awakens. Thanks Disney for politically washing my childhood, pricks.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wow!!

Looks awesome. But another female lead? Honestly that just feels political after the Force Awakens. Thanks Disney for politically washing my childhood, pricks.

Again this is a "Star Wars Story" which isn't part of any of the trilogies

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Again this is a "Star Wars Story" which isn't part of any of the trilogies

Steve, I read books, played with toys, etc... I don't mind a female lead when it's just part of the story at all. This is political now. It could be a decent movie but I'm not into politics in fantasy entertainment I like.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, I read books, played with toys, etc... I don't mind a female lead when it's just part of the story at all. This is political now. It could be a decent movie but I'm not into politics in fantasy entertainment I like.

Disney = politically correct = huge rewards at the box office (he who pays the piper gets to call the tune and IIRC Disney's investment to Lukas was north of $2B

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Just because it isn't a surprise doesn't mean I'm going to like it or refrain from saying it so. And I don't think PC movies are making more money because they're PC. Look at Fantastic Four... It's no promise for success. And Tarantino movies only work as long as they are very gruesome and "PC" to the point of becoming un-PC. The desire for them to be successful is there, but the market doesn't necessarily follow. The Narnia movies all did real well and are the opposite of PC, and made by Disney...

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I watched the trailer and didn't see it as political or PC. Standard space opera fare.

How does a female lead / heroine automatically make the movie PC?

Maybe you are reading too much into it. Relax and watch the movie when it comes out....or not. Your choice.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Two in a row, and they had to invent a new story instead of considering anything that would make fans go crazy like a movie with Kyle Katarn, Wedge Antillies, etc. And, again, it's about a deathstar? Where's the dead horse emoji?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Disney = politically correct = huge rewards at the box office (he who pays the piper gets to call the tune and IIRC Disney's investment to Lukas was north of $2B

It was $2 billion north of $2 billion!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It's always good to find a reference! :p

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
2015 ? Fantasy/Science fiction film ? 2h 15m

8.3/10
IMDb
92%
Rotten Tomatoes
81%
Metacritic

Thirty years after the defeat of the Galactic Empire, the galaxy faces a new threat from the evil Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and the First Order. When a defector named Finn crash-lands on a desert planet, he meets Rey (Daisy Ridley), a tough scavenger whose droid contains a top-secret map. Together, the… More
Release date: December 18, 2015 (Canada)
Director: J.J. Abrams
Box office: 2.053 billion USD
Film series: Star Wars
Budget: 200 million USD
________

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars7.htm

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

From 0:57 to 1:26 (30 seconds of exposure/seizure), I almost had a heart attack. It took me a while to recuperate, to regain my full normal composure.
I love movies, I love audio, I love musical film scores, I love movie sound effects, I love Mad Max, I love Star Wars, and I also love the movie Brooklyn.
That siren from that above video; it penetrated my ears, my head in a not so subtle way, but more like irritation of my brain.

I'm just being honest. :b

And from 1:27 to 1:29 - "What will you become?" ... A vegetable. :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I watched the trailer and didn't see it as political or PC. Standard space opera fare.

How does a female lead / heroine automatically make the movie PC?

Maybe you are reading too much into it. Relax and watch the movie when it comes out....or not. Your choice.
I am with you. A bunch of people were up in arms that the movie was about black and female heros as if there is something wrong with that. If they can entertain, they can entertain.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm in love with the sound of that siren in the trailer. The sound effects appear to be a new class of amazing.

I didn't mind the woman actor in Awakens at all. It fits the story potentially very well given possibilities that might come about. But I can see the comment about the black actor, I'm not even certain why he was needed in that movie so hopefully his character will have some kind of importance in the next movie. Honestly his "I'm an idiot gutless moron that somehow got here" was irritating, like Homer Simpson in Star Wars; combined with contemporary self deprecating lingo it just did not fit in the universe of Star Wars. BTW traditionally the Empire was very racist but it may have only been against beings that were not human; I'm not sure there was a recollection of skin colors except Admiral Thrawn was unusual because his species wasn't favored or particularly allowed to enlist.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Space Opera? More like a a Space spy movie. Count me in. Salt in outer space just might be interesting. It better have a lot of twists and turns though since we already know she accomplished the mission.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Her, Felicity Jones ... 'The Theory of Everything'

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
A strong [typically very attractive] female lead sure hasn't hurt other well received (and highly profitable) films [think Jennifer Lawrence and the Hunger Games] and won't hurt here either. Just maybe, since this is a stand alone story, they are trying to attract new audiences that aren't familiar with the previous 729 Star Wars movies and the sometimes confusing order in which to watch them. Just maybe, they will use this film to start new "series". Sure works for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing