Contenders for Most Musical and Best Two-Way Mini-Monitors of All Time?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I currently have both at home - the Mini II and the B&W25. Very different sounding speakers. The Mini IIs are more transparent, go lower in the bass and, provided they have an adequate power amplifier and cabling, have a much larger scale and sound more powerful and bigger. They are more specific of positioning than the B&W. The B&W 25 have an unique holographic image, have great voices and sound unbelievable with the B&W demos CDs and some specific recordings. But they show some evident colorations when compared to the Mini IIs and are much less dynamic at loud volumes. Curiously the Silver Signatures sound great with the Beatles recordings ...

Microstrip,

You are a true audio stud! What amplification are you using with each?

caesar

May 30, 2010
wanna sell your 25s? the thing i miss most about them is vocals ... i don't think ive heard another speaker that gets vocals so realistic. agree with you the 'advancements' in speaker technology has been able to deal with a lot of the various issues speakers of that era had. but message me if you want to sell. ill buy them if they are in excellent condition and you have the crossovers and stands.

SLC,
B&W has produced more mini-monitors than Solomon has had wives. What makes this particular model so special?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Please explain what you mean by "anachronistic" in this context in relation to the Kaiser Chiara's. The Raidho C1/D1 are quite different to the Chiara in many ways - even though I would categorize them both as truly musical speakers.

I'm a bit surprised that Magico is discussed within this category as among "the most musical". I guess it allt depends on what you define as "musical", where the Mini's were surely more fluent, organic and forgiving than the current Q1's. Magico, YG, Wilson etc. does not belong in the "most musical" category though imho. This is where you find Kaiser, Nola, Diapason, Verity, Devore...etc. based on my personal definition of the term.

To me, "musical" is a speaker (within the context of this discussion) that manage to present the music as a coherent, fluid, organic and balanced entity with natural timbre, which truly connects you to the music in a highly emotional way, disconnecting your intellect and analytical senses. Quite a few of the most highly regarded brands within the community as well as in the (advertised) press belongs in another category, where qualities more related to "sound analysis" are in fashion, where there's a continuing hunt for maximum transparency, resolution and bandwidth. Nothing wrong with that of course (we're all individuals with different preferences here), but to me - these are products that belong in a different category more or less.

The reality might not be as black and white as this of course - I'm trying to make a point here after all :) - but this is my truth in general terms, based on my knowledge and experience.

/ Marcus

Hyperion,

That is a very nice definition of musicality!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My vote goes to the Q1, and by a wide margin - it's the only mini-monitor I have ever heard that can do full-scale orchestral music and with a punch, and albeit the slightly flawed tweeter I hear. The Kaiser have all the right design attributes and have been eager to listen to them for a long time - especially the Kawero - but no luck so far.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If I were to buy a modestly sized 2 way today it would be the Kaiser Chiara. While I like many of the more vintage speakers all seemed more limited in one way another than todays top crop. I've never heard them pushed hard though but I normally don't do that to 2-ways anyway. I absolutely loved these with Kondo but from what I could tell, I don't see why they wouldn't sound great with other gear as well including solid state. It's got this smooth intricacy more like a fine silk rug rather than fine filigree. In other words it's not smooth by gliding over details in order to be forgiving.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Heard the Kaiser kawero, couple of times, they typically play in Munich. If you are into ribbons and somewhat anachronistic mid bass sound, they will do, nothing I did not hear before. I would prefer the Raidho for that kind of sound. But neither of them stand next to the Mini or the Q1 in terms of mid bass resolution dynamics and naturally.

Interesting comment about "Magico advertise heavily”. I subscribe digitally to to both Sterophile and TAS, and all I see is one ad, usually in TAS. Nothing close to Focal, B&W, Wilson or even YG. I am curious what magazines am I not reading?

cannata, I just mean that Magico takes out full page adds in TAS every month. That is pretty expensive. Sometimes it is two pages together. They used to advertise more in Stereophile too. Yes, those other brands advertise even more, it seems. Magico arrived on the scene just ten years ago and has made quite a big impact. Advertising played a roll, I'm sure, but I think people either buy them or not based on how they sound, not on the advertisements.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Please explain what you mean by "anachronistic" in this context in relation to the Kaiser Chiara's. The Raidho C1/D1 are quite different to the Chiara in many ways - even though I would categorize them both as truly musical speakers.

I'm a bit surprised that Magico is discussed within this category as among "the most musical". I guess it allt depends on what you define as "musical", where the Mini's were surely more fluent, organic and forgiving than the current Q1's. Magico, YG, Wilson etc. does not belong in the "most musical" category though imho. This is where you find Kaiser, Nola, Diapason, Verity, Devore...etc. based on my personal definition of the term.

To me, "musical" is a speaker (within the context of this discussion) that manage to present the music as a coherent, fluid, organic and balanced entity with natural timbre, which truly connects you to the music in a highly emotional way, disconnecting your intellect and analytical senses. Quite a few of the most highly regarded brands within the community as well as in the (advertised) press belongs in another category, where qualities more related to "sound analysis" are in fashion, where there's a continuing hunt for maximum transparency, resolution and bandwidth. Nothing wrong with that of course (we're all individuals with different preferences here), but to me - these are products that belong in a different category more or less.

The reality might not be as black and white as this of course - I'm trying to make a point here after all :) - but this is my truth in general terms, based on my knowledge and experience.

/ Marcus

Well, as was stated before, and will be, many times again (obviously, some will never manage to come to terms with it) a speaker can’t be “musical”, regardless of what “musical" means. A speaker is a tool, not an orchestra conductor or a musician – nor is it a musical instrument. A speaker should function with the least amount of losses to the signal it received, so ideally, a speaker will be as “analytical” or as “transparent” as possible.

Unfortunately, these terms in audiophile jargon have bad connotation just because someone somewhere decided that some sort of coloration can be called “analytical”. But, some others decided that some coloration can be called “musical”. None should have a place in proper loudspeaker analysis and description, they both mean nothing. But if you insist, I would argue that, the most transparent and analytical loudspeaker will also be the most musical, (precisely what Magico is starving to do, if, god forbid, we look at objective data).

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I finally almost agree with cannata .
A LS that has +- 4 db deviations in its overall response , how can it have natural timbre, especially ( natural ) timbre has all to do with FR accuracy .
It can sound great on certain kinds of music , maybe the music one person likes especially , but on other music flawed
A well measuring transparent LS can sound dry and analytical , thats because the membranes add that , natural sounding well constructed membranes dont have that , plastics ceramics not IMO

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Well, as was stated before, and will be, many times again (obviously, some will never manage to come to terms with it) a speaker can’t be “musical”, regardless of what “musical" means. A speaker is a tool, not an orchestra conductor or a musician – nor is it a musical instrument. A speaker should function with the least amount of losses to the signal it received, so ideally, a speaker will be as “analytical” or as “transparent” as possible.

Unfortunately, these terms in audiophile jargon have bad connotation just because someone somewhere decided that some sort of coloration can be called “analytical”. But, some others decided that some coloration can be called “musical”. None should have a place in proper loudspeaker analysis and description, they both mean nothing. But if you insist, I would argue that, the most transparent and analytical loudspeaker will also be the most musical, (precisely what Magico is starving to do, if, god forbid, we look at objective data).

I perfectly respect and understand what you're coming from. This is what I would describe as a "true to the source" ideal. There are of course others (which makes this a hobby and a passion to many of us in the end). Creating the highest possible level of transparency towards the source material could be one goal - if that's what your aiming for.

/ Marcus

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

All loudspeakers (even Magicos) have colorations and measurement issues; its just what works best with one's ears that solves the problem.

I do think you can associate "analytical" with measurements as even JA himself has done so in the 5-15khz range. You can also do the same with speakers that have a more "mellow" balance in that region. I would agree that the term musical is up to the listener entirely. I would think Magico owners find their speakers just as musical as Sonus Faber owners, despite very different design approaches.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Hi, some additional comments:

The target from Kaiser is to have the dip at 3,8 kHz according to Munson and Fletcher curves of equal loudness. But to have almost linear frequency resoponse under 20 to 30 degree rotation of the speaker. The human ear integrates the frequency response of the direct and the diffuse field. It needs this speciality to adress the Blauert bands (human spatial hearing).
It is easy to optimize for flat frequency response. It is just one click in the frequency computer model. The art of engineering is to find the right requirement taken psychoacoustics into account.

Here is a link to the Kaiser website as well with more information about the curves. In German, but the curves are there anyway :):
http://www.kaiser-acoustics.com/en/speakers/chiara/lautsprecherjahrbuch-2014-chiara.pdf

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I finally almost agree with cannata .
A LS that has +- 4 db deviations in its overall response , how can it have natural timbre, especially ( natural ) timbre has all to do with FR accuracy .
It can sound great on certain kinds of music , maybe the music one person likes especially , but on other music flawed
A well measuring transparent LS can sound dry and analytical , thats because the membranes add that , natural sounding well constructed membranes dont have that , plastics ceramics not IMO

Come on! aa, go for it! Agree entirely :D . He's right

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
All loudspeakers (even Magicos) have colorations and measurement issues; its just what works best with one's ears that solves the problem.
I would think Magico owners find their speakers just as musical as Sonus Faber owners, despite very different design approaches.

As a SF owner, I happen to also like Magico's. IMHO, the Q3's and the smaller Q1's are excellent speakers...although I slightly prefer the Q3. I do think the tweets are a little 'hot'...but that applies to almost all metal dome tweets...to a greater or lesser extent ( to my ear, YMMV).
I could VERY easily live and be happy with the Magico's...
In fact, IF i were to move to a much larger room ( one where the GH's couldn't perform), the Q3's would be on my very short list.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
SLC,
B&W has produced more mini-monitors than Solomon has had wives. What makes this particular model so special?

a lot actually.

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/272/#Od4MhBU7Puesqo5L.97

i haven't heard any of the new B&W models. i heard these at a local hi-end shop (back when they existed) in the late 90s and they were so awesome. bought them on the spot. they were my first true high-end speaker so maybe that has a lot to do with it as well ... ?

caesar

May 30, 2010

Interesting comment about "Magico advertise heavily”. I subscribe digitally to to both Sterophile and TAS, and all I see is one ad, usually in TAS. Nothing close to Focal, B&W, Wilson or even YG. I am curious what magazines am I not reading?

Marketing is more than just advertising. Advertising aside, Magico got samples out to Valin and Harley, free long term loans. Other third tier/ online "audio journalists" either get the speaker as a free loan or purchase for a very steep discount, much lower than what a normal person would pay.

In return, all these "journalists" do not mention the any flaws in the speaker in any of their write ups. The epiphanies only occur when the new model comes out....

Wolf is not doing this because he is a kind-hearted man running a charity. Those funds tied up in these free loans / discounted sales could have been invested in R&D, Operations, his own salary, his kids' college education, etc., but obviously he finds a lot of value in using the audio "journalists" as his marketing team.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Microstrip,

You are a true audio stud! What amplification are you using with each?

Sorry, I had missed you post. I have tried many amplifiers on the B&WSS25, as they are there since long - the old Classe M1000, that cold sounded horrible, but after one day warm up sounded great, the Krell S300i - is was great match, both the Dartzeel NH108 and the 8550, the Devialet 400 and curiously I was not a fan of the cj's on them. The Mini II's played with the Devialet, the Dartzeel 8550 and the cj premier 350 (solid state, high power) but still only in the experience phase for a limited time.

The Mini's were

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hey Davey,

Have you ever heard or have thoughts on SF Extrema?

Caesar,

Fortunately I missed a pair being sold close to me at a very low price little time ago ...

I have owned them in the past. They need a room wider than mine, as they need a lot of space to breath and develop the bass, they love being played at "realistic" levels and need a lot of SS power, but strangely some funny tube amplifiers also manage to make them play at reasonable loudness. A good friend owned them with great success with the vintage ARC Classic 150's mono blocks. Many much larger full range speakers sounded small compared to the Extrema's. Plenty of slam, but not as defined or extended in the bass as some modern speakers. Loved the VTL recordings, percussion and voices, great on chorus.

Every time I listened to the Extrema in a small room it would sound anemic, lifeless and thin.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing