Contenders for Most Musical and Best Two-Way Mini-Monitors of All Time?

stereotype

Jun 13, 2016
Frankfurt / Germany
audio-monster.de
I missed the smaller Stenheim.....I did listen to the TAD compact evolution one and that for me is certainly right up there with the best. The scale they produce challenges proper floorstanders!

I was also in Munich and listen to the TAD-CE1, and this was one of the best demos at the show - incredible good to my ears - nearly not to believe what these speakers put out...
the demo guy told some stories around and behind the CE1's - interesting.

k-IMG_6646.JPG

Last edited:

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Though maybe not technically mini, I'd add the seldom heard in the US JM Reynaud Offrande's. I've owned both older and the latest version, and both possess a rare musicality that I've never heard equaled.

theophile

I find it impossible to discuss the capabilities of excellent speakers, especially supremely excellent speakers, without reference to the context of the system and room they were being played in. Unlike so-so barely adequate speakers, supremely excellent speakers are first and foremost an wide open window to both the system they are used within, and even more so reflect the insight of the user regarding his/her ability to find work around solutions to room acoustic and placement problems.

I often suspect that disagreements over the ultimate capability of a given superlative component, and supremely excellent speakers are top of the list for this, come down to the ancillary components, the room and the depth of understanding of the user with regard to the ability to get the most out of all the factors. A really, truly great system will 'call-out' the user or person who set it all up, as either someone who really understands the intricacies of deriving great results from systems and rooms or someone who can gather components into a system, place them in a great room, and still not be able to do what is necessary to bring that great system and great room to the pinnacle of what it can offer.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I find it impossible to discuss the capabilities of excellent speakers, especially supremely excellent speakers, without reference to the context of the system and room they were being played in. Unlike so-so barely adequate speakers, supremely excellent speakers are first and foremost an wide open window to both the system they are used within, and even more so reflect the insight of the user regarding his/her ability to find work around solutions to room acoustic and placement problems.

I often suspect that disagreements over the ultimate capability of a given superlative component, and supremely excellent speakers are top of the list for this, come down to the ancillary components, the room and the depth of understanding of the user with regard to the ability to get the most out of all the factors. A really, truly great system will 'call-out' the user or person who set it all up, as either someone who really understands the intricacies of deriving great results from systems and rooms or someone who can gather components into a system, place them in a great room, and still not be able to do what is necessary to bring that great system and great room to the pinnacle of what it can offer.

Great post, Theophile. I was just discussing this topic over email with my Boston area audiophile group in the context of a recent audition one of us had of a top new speaker. We reached more or less the same point that your post raises.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hello,

i like the Reference 3A Royal Master easy to drive with Tubes no big Xover
incredible Sound.(93dB/1 Watt Phase constant from 45-20Khz +- 5 grad)

standingwave

Feb 25, 2016
I was very impressed when I heard the TAD CR1 at RMAF 2010. How is the CE1 different from the CR1 and did you actually directly compare them to the Magico Q1 in the same system? Could you describe the system context and how they differed in sound?

The CE1 cannot quite deliver the level of detail that the CR1 can, but yes I have compared them all directly with identical amplification. There is no question that the Q1 is world class, pushing out more music than you would guess for its size. The detail in the mids and highs, not to mention the sublime soundstage with the CE1 is superior though. Bear in mind that the CE1 is a bigger speaker and has the side ported vents so in many ways it's not really a fair comparison.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The CE1 cannot quite deliver the level of detail that the CR1 can, but yes I have compared them all directly with identical amplification. There is no question that the Q1 is world class, pushing out more music than you would guess for its size. The detail in the mids and highs, not to mention the sublime soundstage with the CE1 is superior though. Bear in mind that the CE1 is a bigger speaker and has the side ported vents so in many ways it's not really a fair comparison.

Thanks, thewaves. So your order of preference is CR1, then CE1, then Q1. Did you hear them all in the same system and room, or just with the same amplification but in different rooms and systems? I appreciate your observations about detail and soundstage. Which one has the deepest low frequency extension? I imagine it would be the CR1 with its dedicated woofer, but perhaps the side ports of the CE1 give it more bass impact. I was not aware it had ports. I think the CR1 has a low port in the front between the main cabinet and stand.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Tanagra Audio Lotus (Now Apertura)
Kef LS50 Actives
Trenner&Friedl ART
Franco Serblin Accordo.

These are some NICE small speakers.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Rogers LS3/5a - 15 ohms...remarkable. :)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

While I didn't hear the CE1s I heard its big brother the full range Evolution 1 at RMAf a few years back which I believe shared the same concentric mid/tweeter but replaces the 1 smaller woofer with 2: 8" woofers. Of all the system I heard the TADs were the best combination of detail, dynamics and driver synergy while remaining extremely musical, so I see how the CE1 gets rave reviews. My dream speaker would be the CR1 with a 2 x 2 set of JL audio subs or a pair of Ref 1 v2s.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I liked the Magicos, SF and maybe the Lingdorfs... now, for the money - I am very happy with my LS50s!

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Diapason Adamante IMG_3328.JPG

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
+1 for these also.

WIth the right amps I thoroughly enjoyed my time with an pair of Linn Kans.

b&w silver sigs 25s best imho ... much better then mini's! they can be had for cheap too, if you can find a pair.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My personal favorites:

- KLH 6
- Celestion SL6si
- Celestion SL600si
- SF Electa Amator
- SF Guarneri Homage
- A speaker whose name i cannot remember...Goodwins High End had them around 1993 when their store was out in the suburbs...about 20 inches tall, piano black polished and all the edges were rounded off beautifully with no seams...and the tweeter just seemed to be coming straight out of the lacquer...no screws or anything.

Anyone know this last one by ANY random chance?

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Any newer speakers since the last postings in 2016, that should be mentioned as nice small speaker here?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing