HQPlayer fans: need your help!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Guys,

I have a Windows PC at my disposal, and I'd like to give HQPlayer a try, to see what it's all about. But frankly, all the configurations and options are kinda overwhelming. I could go and test every single permutation, but time's limited, so I'd rather ask folks what are the best settings!

The DAC is going to be an MSB DAC V, with Quad USB input. I believe it can do Quad DSD and 24/384...

Appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Alex

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Alex,

A couple questions:

1) Are you going to use HQPlayer's own GUI to browse and play songs or are you going to use Roon ahead of it?

2) Do you know if the MSB DAC V excels at DSD versus PCM? In my opinion, the only reason to use HQPlayer is to avoid using a DSD DAC's internal upsampling software and under the theory that HQPlayer is superior. I don't think HQPlayer 'improves' on PCM in any way.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ian,

1) I'm going to use Roon most of the time, but I can use HQPlayer's own GUI, if needed be.
2) AFAIK, MSB DACs don't have a preference. It'll do either one natively. That's why I'm looking for different settings/configurations, one with upsampling to DSD, and perhaps one upsampling to PCM, so I could compare... I normally set the MSB not to do any upsampling of its own.

cheers,
alex

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
alex

If it isn't locked you need to search "Blizzard's Corner" His (Blizz)enthusiasm for this particular piece of software is only matched by his willingness to help (and sometime to impose his views/teachings :D)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Frantz,

I know, he's partly responsible for me wanting to explore this software. But I figured there must be other folks using this software, and that could contribute their settings/configs to a non-confrontational/biased thread :)

cheers,
alex

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frantz,

I know, he's partly responsible for me wanting to explore this software. But I figured there must be other folks using this software, and that could contribute their settings/configs to a non-confrontational/biased thread :)

cheers,
alex

I believe he has a How-to-HQ, somewhere here on the WBF

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
alex

If it isn't locked you need to search "Blizzard's Corner" His (Blizz)enthusiasm for this particular piece of software is only matched by his willingness to help (and sometime to impose his views/teachings :D)

It seems you don't really know Blizzard: he was only recently acquainted with HQ Player over at ComputerAudiophile.com, driven to test it by me and others.

All he could rave about at that time was his Resonessence using SDCard (not saying this doesn't sound good).

He's prone to speculation without having tested anything.

Then he buggers off as he gets banned and promptly preaches what he was just taught as if he's the discoverer of such things.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
But I figured there must be other folks using this software, and that could contribute their settings/configs to a non-confrontational/biased thread :)

There are two dedicated threads over at CA, one for HQ Player, and one for the NAA, and questions can be asked over there and are usually replied to by Miska, the creator of HQ Player.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I'd like to give HQPlayer a try, to see what it's all about. But frankly, all the configurations and options are kinda overwhelming.

I could go and test every single permutation, but time's limited, so I'd rather ask folks what are the best settings!

The DAC is going to be an MSB DAC V, with Quad USB input. I believe it can do Quad DSD and 24/384...

There's no need to test every permutation. However, you will want to test a few (let's say from 3-5) to reach the ideal ones in your set up.

There are two main configurations you need to be aware of:

1. The direct-to-DAC computer connection (not ideal). In this, HQ Player runs on your main computer, which is connected to your DAC by USB.

2. The client-server configuration. In this, HQ Player runs on your main computer, is connected via Ethernet to a much smaller device which runs Miska's networkaudiodaemon. That second smaller device is called the NAA and is what is connected to your DAC (usually by USB, but you could also do direct I2S connection to DAC boards).

So, my recommendation is to start with Configuration 1, get it working, get to know the interface and some of its quirks first.

When you do get sound, then you can try changing the up-conversion features and the filters and modulators.

Some of the algorithms are optimised for speed if your computer isn't powerful enough.

For more detailed views on various combinations and settings, the main HQ Player thread over at CA is the reference. Mind you, the thread is big, so sometimes it's better just to make a new question or a new thread particular to your DAC.

After that, if you think you need further isolation (and it might not be the case with MSB as I know they engineer their equipment very well), you can plan putting HQP in client-server mode and get a smaller device for the NAA with Ethernet.

An example of the NAA is a Beaglebone Black. On this, you can install Linux and the networkaudiodaemon. Miska also has pre-defined images you can install directly for some devices.

Further enhancements have been found for some systems, mainly by a CA co-member named Jabbr:

- Use a Media converter to go from Ethernet to Optical Fibre at your server, and then use another one at the NAA side.

- Power these with Linear Power Supplies or batteries.

Hope that helps.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Yash!

Thanks for the input! I do agree with you about Blizzard, BTW :)

Yeah the client/server config is intriguing, but I'll take your advice and leave that for last...

As for now, can you suggest some settings so I can get started with it? As you said it yourself, the threads in CA are huge, and I'd rather not go there (that's why I posted the thread here...)

Thanks!
Alex

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Try the default ones and proceed from there. For instance, if the default works, then see if you can use up-conversion without any issue.

If that works, then enjoy this SQ for a while!

On the other hand, if you find some drop-outs or slow-down, then you will want to use some of the speed-optimised algorithms.

See this post from Miska today for an example.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
(I am a private user but also HQPlayer reseller)
Let's me try to help you, if I can.

I would try mainly two algorithms: poly-sic-short and poly-sic-short-mp. The first one for classical, jazz, acoustic music; the second one for rock/pop and multi-mike studio recordings in general.
If you output in PCM8x, you can choose NS5 as noise shaper.
If you output in DSD, you can choose DSD7 or ASDM7 as modulator.
Remember that if you try to upconvert to DSD128/256, you require a progressively more powerful computer.
You can also oversample PCM signal and leave DSD untouched by enabling "DirectSDM" in Diff/DSF setting.
I would suggest to set Vol Max at -3 dB in Settings to avoid digital clipping.

This should get you started :)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, guys... Will give it a try tomorrow! I did try some of the DSD upsampling, but HQPlayer just hung (flashing the "Please Wait" progress bar/window)...

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Something is not setup properly. Could you please post a picture of your Settings setup.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Hi folks,

I need a Windows PC to work only with HQPlayer upsampling to DSD512. The transport is SonicTransporter with Roon Server and I have micro Rendu.

The two PC will be in a different room of the house than my system, as microRendu allows me to use Ethernet.

I am planning to build an I7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4, 1000W PS, SSD 240Gb, HD 2Tb, Windows 10 Home.

I don't think I need fanless, as the computer will be far from the system. Do I?

Will this machine run HQPlayer up sampling ? My MacBook Pro can barely handle DSD128 with the better filters of HQPlayer.

About the filters, I tried poly-sic-short-hb and it seems the best to me. But it requires more CPU.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Hi folks,

I need a Windows PC to work only with HQPlayer upsampling to DSD512. The transport is SonicTransporter with Roon Server and I have micro Rendu.

The two PC will be in a different room of the house than my system, as microRendu allows me to use Ethernet.

I am planning to build an I7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4, 1000W PS, SSD 240Gb, HD 2Tb, Windows 10 Home.

I don't think I need fanless, as the computer will be far from the system. Do I?

Will this machine run HQPlayer up sampling ? My MacBook Pro can barely handle DSD128 with the better filters of HQPlayer.

About the filters, I tried poly-sic-short-hb and it seems the best to me. But it requires more CPU.

The fan is not relevant is you're locating the server far from the listening area, just ensure it's there to avoid heat issues. The I7 is powerful, you haven't mentioned the Graphics card though: I'd look for an NVIDIA GPU for offloading some of the processing.

Other than that, HQ Player should run fine. Whether it hits your target of real-time up-conversion to DSD512 has to be tested in your setup, it looks like a rather new setup spec-wise so I don't see why not.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
The fan is not relevant is you're locating the server far from the listening area, just ensure it's there to avoid heat issues. The I7 is powerful, you haven't mentioned the Graphics card though: I'd look for an NVIDIA GPU for offloading some of the processing.

Other than that, HQ Player should run fine. Whether it hits your target of real-time up-conversion to DSD512 has to be tested in your setup, it looks like a rather new setup spec-wise so I don't see why not.

Thank you very much. The NVIDiA is a great add on.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I have an i7-6700K with almost the same configuration as yours. Only difference is that I have a bigger SSD and it's in a fanless case (my PC sits on my audio rack). It is plenty powerful enough, when I upsample to PCM192, the CPU is barely idling along at 1.5% load! I haven't tried upsampling to DSD as my DAC does not support DSD input via USB.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Hi folks,

Yes, you will be able to upsample to DSD512.
I have two recommendations though:
1) As you probably will want to slim down your OS, I suggest you Win 10 Pro. Certain things cannot be stopped/removed in Home.
2) Your server will be able to upsample to DSD512, however, microRendu becomes your NAA. MicroRendu is Linux based, so it depends on how microRendu supports your DAC. Do you know if your DAC can playback DSD512 in Linux? Very few do.
If for example your DAC has an Amanero receiver, it supports DSD512 in Windows, but not in Linux yet. We are working on it...

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Yes, you will be able to upsample to DSD512.
I have two recommendations though:
1) As you probably will want to slim down your OS, I suggest you Win 10 Pro. Certain things cannot be stopped/removed in Home.
2) Your server will be able to upsample to DSD512, however, microRendu becomes your NAA. MicroRendu is Linux based, so it depends on how microRendu supports your DAC. Do you know if your DAC can playback DSD512 in Linux? Very few do.
If for example your DAC has an Amanero receiver, it supports DSD512 in Windows, but not in Linux yet. We are working on it...

Thank you very much. My DAC is a Lampizator Big7, Amanero board. I just ordered the DSD 512 dual mono Golden Gate board. Will it work?

Here is a text I took from Mivera Audio.

"2: Hqplayer NAA: In this mode you can take advantage of the SOTA upsampling/modulation software called Hqplayer by Signalyst in Finland. If your DAC is DSD capable, this software can launch the sound of your DAC through the stratosphere. The main complaint with the software is how complicated it is. We have made that simple with a compact turnkey optional engine for the Superstream, called the Superserve. The Superserve can fit in the palm of your hand, yet still has the power to upsample to DSD 512 using the toughest filter/modulators Hqplayer has. Details on this unit will be released shortly. Maximum resolution support with NAA and the Superstream is DSD 1024 and PCM 32/768.
?
Are you a T+A DAC 8 DSD, or Lampizator DAC owner? If so, for an additional $150, the Superstream can be custom configured to support native DSD up to 512 in NAA mode with these fine DAC's. Please note, this $150 fee is ONLY for DAC's that can't do native DSD by default with Linux, but can with Windows. Only a handful are in this category."
?

Will I be limited to his HQplayer server in order to make it work in DSD512 with micro Rendu?

I have an i7-6700K with almost the same configuration as yours. Only difference is that I have a bigger SSD and it's in a fanless case (my PC sits on my audio rack). It is plenty powerful enough, when I upsample to PCM192, the CPU is barely idling along at 1.5% load! I haven't tried upsampling to DSD as my DAC does not support DSD input via USB.

Thank you Keith. I feel confident now in investing in that type of machine.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing