Roon absolutely sucks for classical

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am very happy with Qobuz for 90% of my listening and I also enjoy my file, CD and LP collection. Using my current hardware the difference between formats is not a major point, although my preferred in the Vivaldi stack is physical SACD.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I do enjoy my music in whatever format as well. As a grad student in the 1980s, I listened to FM radio a lot because university campuses had excellent public radio stations. I was in the NY area which had a plethora of great classical and jazz stations. I don’t enjoy internet radio as much.

I seem to go through phases when I listen exclusively to vinyl, then to physical media and then to streaming. Sometimes, I stick with one or the other for a week or two at a stretch. kind of like what I do with solid state or tube gear.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Here’s a lovely choral album I’m listening to on Qobuz/Roon. Howells wrote some lovely choral music. He gets overlooked by the more famous British composers like Elgar and Vaughan Williams. But his music is worth listening to.

066F60EB-9ED0-42FB-A082-6BC8A7DB7323.jpeg

MagnusG

VIP/Donor
Oct 5, 2022
Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
Here’s a lovely choral album I’m listening to on Qobuz/Roon. Howells wrote some lovely choral music. He gets overlooked by the more famous British composers like Elgar and Vaughan Williams. But his music is worth listening to.

View attachment 106202
Thanks for this recommendation. Never heard of him before. When his portrait came up in Roon I thought for a second I saw Ian Richardson :)

picears

Feb 4, 2022

View attachment 106202
Oddly, on Youtube Music that album is not listed by its title that is printed on that cover, but under the generic "Howells: Choral Music".

I was listening to some Howells just the other day, but not this album.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I created this thread in 2016. Four years later (in 2020) there are still umpteen threads on the Roon forum complaining about lack of functionality with classical music, like this one. There are the usual people suggesting complicated workarounds, or telling people to manually edit collections of 50,000 tracks. That thread is quite fun reading, there is the usual smug attitude of the community moderators dismissing everyone's concerns and insisting their way is the best. Then there is the desperation of people who have blown an enormous amount of money for their overpriced software that doesn't work. They too are airily dismissed by said smug community moderators.

So we have a piece of software that costs $800. It is billed as a way to find your music, but it can't even do that. At least not without manually editing 50,000 tracks. Why bother, when JRiver costs $60 and you can actually find your music? I have a touchscreen that shows me all the composers as icons. Tap on one, and it gives you a choice of all the compositions by the composer. I can also customize settings to hide tags that I don't want (e.g. no point showing "classical" genre when 99% of my collection is classical).

Seven years on now, and I doubt if they have done anything. Price has gone up, and concerns that have been expressed repeatedly over the years have been ignored and the complainants belittled.

Reactions: Kingsrule and adyc

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I created this thread in 2016. Four years later (in 2020) there are still umpteen threads on the Roon forum complaining about lack of functionality with classical music, like this one. There are the usual people suggesting complicated workarounds, or telling people to manually edit collections of 50,000 tracks. That thread is quite fun reading, there is the usual smug attitude of the community moderators dismissing everyone's concerns and insisting their way is the best. Then there is the desperation of people who have blown an enormous amount of money for their overpriced software that doesn't work. They too are airily dismissed by said smug community moderators.

So we have a piece of software that costs $800. It is billed as a way to find your music, but it can't even do that. At least not without manually editing 50,000 tracks. Why bother, when JRiver costs $60 and you can actually find your music? I have a touchscreen that shows me all the composers as icons. Tap on one, and it gives you a choice of all the compositions by the composer. I can also customize settings to hide tags that I don't want (e.g. no point showing "classical" genre when 99% of my collection is classical).

Seven years on now, and I doubt if they have done anything. Price has gone up, and concerns that have been expressed repeatedly over the years have been ignored and the complainants belittled.
Totally agree. I also use it Jriver. It is the only software that allows me to customize the views. But one has to tag your music carefully which is no problems for me.

backpacker96

Apr 5, 2023
I have used Jriver for 6 years, and Roon for 2 years. I really like Jriver's music library management function, especially the tag classification function is very powerful, which can automatically read the Tag information of music files. Roon does not do enough in this regard . However, Roon is a product of the Streamer era, which Jriver does not have, so I can only live with the lack of Roon.
At the same time, I don’t think Roon is not good for playing classical music. I haven’t used sky-high price players, I use Roon as Music Server and dCS Rossini Player as player and decoder. I think the sound quality has reached 85% of CD .

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
At the same time, I don’t think Roon is not good for playing classical music. I haven’t used sky-high price players, I use Roon as Music Server and dCS Rossini Player as player and decoder. I think the sound quality has reached 85% of CD .

It's not the playback of Roon I am concerned about. It is the library management.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing