• I have only vinyl in my system but also like digital

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
"Why specific CDs May Actually Sound Better Than specific Vinyl"

my collection includes many specific CDs that easily trump (measurable) specific vinyl counterparts, and vise versa.

Provenance, with any format, is key ...

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Batten down em hatches , before the natives come a calling!!!;)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
"Why specific CDs May Actually Sound Better Than specific Vinyl"

my collection includes many specific CDs that easily trump (measurable) specific vinyl counterparts, and vise versa.

Provenance, with any format, is key ...

Absolutely , would luv to hear Batman .. The Dark Knight returns on vinyl .... While Schoenberg 's Verklarte Nacht , will mostly always sound better on vinyl . Horses for Courses .

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Absolutely , would luv to hear Batman .. The Dark Knight returns on vinyl .... While Schoenberg 's Verklarte Nacht , will mostly always sound better on vinyl . Horses for Courses .

The Dark Knight on vinyl makes the CD counterpart read like compressed mud. HDTrack's The Dark Knight Rises "Hi-Rez" version is yet another example of truly bad "Lo-Rez" wrapped in "Hi-Rez" packaging w/"Hi-Rez" pricing.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
That's a good article, but then again I'm a bit biased. I wonder if it's because I'm almost exclusively a classical listener these days that vinyl doesn't really float my boat?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The Dark Knight on vinyl makes the CD counterpart read like compressed mud. HDTrack's The Dark Knight Rises "Hi-Rez" version is yet another example of truly bad "Lo-Rez" wrapped in "Hi-Rez" packaging w/"Hi-Rez" pricing.

Dear TBone , wish you lived closer to be able to hear the red book version on my rig . With the Zanden pre amp ( what a gem ) )handling duties , it sounds down right menacing. No two ways about it

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's a good article, but then again I'm a bit biased. I wonder if it's because I'm almost exclusively a classical listener these days that vinyl doesn't really float my boat?

It's because of classical that I want vinyl. The 60s 70s performances are superlative both in performance and recording, and you will just connect so much more to violin, brass and piano - but a good set up is required. TTs can also be more dynamic. True on very complex symphonies like Mahler vinyl will be compressed relative to a good digital performance but even on that tone can have an advantage

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Very interesting facts and reading, but the article is chaotic and spreads a lot of confusion.

Most of all, it fails to understand that the objective of sound reproduction is to get the preference of listeners. If a format is perfect, the industry should use it to get the preferences of the end users, not just to please the engineers or the producers. IMHO the industry was given a format that it does not master, as it is intrinsically based in very complicated mathematics and advanced signal processing, and are using it empirically. DAC designers are still perfecting their designs, but the professionals from the other side must understand and foresee the consequences of their decisions during recording and mastering in terms of playback in existing equipment and systems, not in ideal sound reproducing systems.

"It really does come down to the preference of the end user." , Yes it is true, we should consider it sounds better when the users prefer it in their systems!

BTW, although in my current system I prefer digital for very complex symphonic music, unfortunately for chamber music vinyl or jazz is almost every time an easy winner.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

Now that's a surprise , I thought classical was vinyl's strength . Not the orchestral bombast maybe , but where timbre ,tone and fluidity are of importance .

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Now that's a surprise , I thought classical was vinyl's strength . Not the orchestral bombast maybe , but where timbre ,tone and fluidity are of importance .

Agree 100%. I much prefer classical on vinyl.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

yes, look's like your post, mine, Ian's and microstrip's crossed in the websphere.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Dear TBone , wish you lived closer to be able to hear the red book version on my rig . With the Zanden pre amp ( what a gem ) )handling duties , it sounds down right menacing. No two ways about it

Dear Jazzhead,

:)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
yes, look's like your post, mine, Ian's and microstrip's crossed in the websphere.

Shook hands along the way I presume ... Cheers

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I think this is a way for Steve to test the current "civility" temperature index of WBF. :)

So far, so good. Hope it continues.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A turntable can't add dynamics (or at least it shouldn't), the goal of any decent TT is to PROPERLY/ACCURATELY reproduce dynamic content based on its given LP.

Ok, I stand corrected. For some reason it sounded more dynamic though. Nort all TTS, but when set up right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing