New Device For Those On Salt Restricted Diets-It Actually Works

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
TENS for the tongue? :p It sounds like a good idea for those craving but needing to restrict salt.

I have to say, the publlc's taste for more and more salt is partly the fault of the TV cooking shows in the last 10-15 years where the critics keep asking for more and more salt. Even when we go out for dinner, I tell them not to add any salt when they cook the food. It easy enough for me to add that in the end when the food is sitting on my plate. Besides, I only need salt on the surface to taste it, that which has deeply penetrated the food is beyond the taste buds.

Steve Williams

TENS for the tongue? :p It sounds like a good idea for those craving but needing to restrict salt.

I have to say, the publlc's taste for more and more salt is partly the fault of the TV cooking shows in the last 10-15 years where the critics keep asking for more and more salt. Even when we go out for dinner, I tell them not to add any salt when they cook the food. It easy enough for me to add that in the end when the food is sitting on my plate. Besides, I only need salt on the surface to taste it, that which has deeply penetrated the food is beyond the taste buds.

I watched a segment on the Today show about this fork and yes it creates a taste of salt

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
How long does the salty sensation last after inserting the "electrically charged" food on the fork into the mouth? You do have to take the fork out before you chew which accounts for the greatest time the food would be tasted in the mouth.

Is the fork a bipolar electrode so the current stays around the tongue or is it a unipolar device using the entire body as "the ground".

Will the fork affect EEG's or go through the brain?

I bet the FDA will have a good time with this when it comes to market.

Steve Williams

How long does the salty sensation last after inserting the "electrically charged" food on the fork into the mouth? You do have to take the fork out before you chew which accounts for the greatest time the food would be tasted in the mouth.

Is the fork a bipolar electrode so the current stays around the tongue or is it a unipolar device using the entire body as "the ground".

Will the fork affect EEG's or go through the brain?

I bet the FDA will have a good time with this when it comes to market.

Apparently it uses a 9 volt battery

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Pavlov's dog full circle.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Then again would it activate my ICD. Ouch

Steve Williams

Off-topic, but what is the real relationship between salt and high blood pressure?

Simply put salt causes water retention which subsequently creates increased circulatory volume thus driving the heart harder and thus potentially causing high blood pressure.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Simply put salt causes water retention which subsequently creates increased circulatory volume thus driving the heart harder and thus potentially causing high blood pressure.

Absolutely. I told my internist I rarely if ever add salt to anything and that all excess salt is excreted. After all, that's what they taught me in medical school. He said that's just BS. It's the salt that you don't add that's the killer. Any idea how much salt is in a slice of bread? 150 mg. Cottage cheese? 819 mg per cup!!! Cereal- 1cup? 200-300 mg salt! 1 slice of pizza? 200-400 mg! The list goes on. Ideal daily salt intake is 1500 mg. Most people ingest 2-3 grams every day! Just watching my salt intake dropped my BP by 10 mg Hg systolic. You should also use salt substitute (which is potassium chloride) whenever you reach for salt. Salt is a potential killer, no question about it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing