Is Rhiana the baddest b×××h on the planet?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Let's debate that musical question. I missed Rhiana and only became aware of her when she was assaulted by Chris Brown. It turns out I was enjoying "Rude Boy" and "Shut up and drive" not knowing that was her. I ran across a picture of her and made it my screen saver. Then along came "Bitch better have my money." Tonight I just came across the sultry duet with Drake called "Work."
All I can say is wow.

Last edited:

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
No.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No. I'll take Alicia Keys though!

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Her concert near Detroit last week received very high marks. The only negative comments were that it was only 85 minutes long with no encores. I don't care much for her music but that's just me.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I underappreciated Alicia Keys also.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My niece says Rihanna has 14 number ones second only to the great Elvis Presley that's according to Billboard.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
NONE of those mentioned for me.

There is no accounting for taste or what people consider good music.

As my high school history teacher frequently said, "the masses are asses." It wasn't very eloquent, but it was very clear.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

As my high school history teacher frequently said, "the masses are asses." It wasn't very eloquent, but it was very clear.

Gary
I agree with your first statement.

I am not a Rhiana; it could well be for a lack of knowledge of whatever talent she might possess :), I would invite you however to reconsider the "masses are asses" statement. Music we consider now great were often derided by the intellectual elite... while the masses were enjoying them. It often takes some far-out thinkers to bring the so-called intellectual elite to speed. Such music include Jazz or several forms of what we came to call "Classical". Examples abound ...

@everyone

I will take the time to listen to Rihanna more seriously.

I don't find Alicia Keys particularly talented by the way. Erika Badu? Yes! Jill Scott? Absolutely!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

And the masses would refer to your high school teacher as a pompous ass.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Gary

I am not a Rhiana; it could well be for a lack of knowledge of whatever talent she might possess :), I would invite you however to reconsider the "masses are asses" statement. Music we consider now great were often derided by the intellectual elite... while the masses were enjoying them. It often takes some far-out thinkers to bring the so-called intellectual elite to speed. Such music include Jazz or several forms of what we came to call "Classical". Examples abound ...

@everyone

I don't find Alicia Keys particularly talented by the way. Erika Badu? Yes! Jill Scott? Absolutely!

There is so much great music [not necessarily newly written] that there just isn't time to listen seriously to music that I don't care for to see if I will eventually come to enjoy it. The "classical" forms that were crap then are still crap despite who listens to it. John Cage is a good example of that rubbish.

And the masses would refer to your high school teacher as a pompous ass.

One could say that's because the masses ARE asses.:p

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
No time ro listen but plenty of time to offer an uninformed critique.
It's ok.
I'm looking for converts not yes men.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have enough time to listen to what I like but not enough time to listen to what I have to force myself to learn to like.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Gary

@everyone

I'm going to have to disagree with you Frantz. Alicia Keys is a classically trained pianist, has a wonderful vocal range and interpretive style and writes all of her songs, either solo or as a collaborative effort. Most of the divas of today sell sexual imagery, which is one reason you don't hear too much about Miss Keys...she's got class and focuses on her craft.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I'm going to have to disagree with you Frantz. Alicia Keys is a classically trained pianist, has a wonderful vocal range and interpretive style and writes all of her songs, either solo or as a collaborative effort. Most of the divas of today sell sexual imagery, which is one reason you don't hear too much about Miss Keys...she's got class and focuses on her craft.

That she is Classically trained means not much in the big scheme of things... Julliard likely churns tens of them every year... Some of them with talent and some with not so much so .... At one point she was all the noise then she got to be some media ambassador or consultant for Blackberry and then.. her star dwindled...

@gary

Jazz was considered as crap by many then ... Just saying ...
I don't have any problem that you don't like a genre. Calling it "crap" is quite different.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Billboard hits certainly do not demonstrate talent.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . . Jazz was considered as crap by many then ... Just saying ...
I don't have any problem that you don't like a genre. Calling it "crap" is quite different.

Regarding the crap, we'll see after time elapses how genres like rap and hip-hop fare. My estimation is, not so well. I don't think the likes of John Cage make such wonderful music either. Yes, some things he does are clever, but clever doesn't necessarily make for good music.

I rate things by my own standards. I really don't consider whether someone else likes or doesn't like something when I give my opinion on a topic. I come to my own conclusions. Jazz is a mixed genre. Big band jazz is great, "smooth [mindless] jazz" is crap, I mean not so musically interesting or appealing to me :p.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That she is Classically trained means not much in the big scheme of things... Julliard likely churns tens of them every year... Some of them with talent and some with not so much so .... At one point she was all the noise then she got to be some media ambassador or consultant for Blackberry and then.. her star dwindled...

Well, I suppose like any artist we can pick them apart all we like, and you certainly have that option (as you pointed out and made clear). I don't happen to share your view.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Regarding the crap, we'll see after time elapses how genres like rap and hip-hop fare. My estimation is, not so well. I don't think the likes of John Cage make such wonderful music either. Yes, some things he does are clever, but clever doesn't necessarily make for good music.

I rate things by my own standards. I really don't consider whether someone else's likes or doesn't like something when I give my opinion on a topic. I come to my own conclusions. Jazz is a mixed genre. Big band jazz is great, "smooth [mindless] jazz" is crap, I mean not so musically interesting or appealing to me :p.

Last OT reply.

ALL composers from ALL genre of music have used folk (aka as popular, also known as masses :D) into their repertoire. SO very often "crap" is included into Masterpieces.. that is what we call Talent or genius and they come from all places. There is no doubt in my mind that Biggie or Tupak Shakur are geniuses .. So were Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane or Thelonious Monk and so were Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Satie, et all.

Hip-Hop has made its mark. Rap and Hip-hop are World-wide phenomenons. They have permeated everything from singing to fashion. Their influence is too entrenched in our lives to even be noticed. You may not like it , they're however omnipresent. They have influenced all music genres. From Jazz to , yes, Classical which has also influenced , yes, hip-hop. I find it interesting that the Pantheon of Classical Composers happen to be similar to that of the most sampled Composers by Hip-Hop artists

https://blog.whosampled.com/2014/08/13/top-10-most-sampled-classical-composers/

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
OLd men look at me now, thankfully I'm nothing like you.

the granddad everything new is crap syndrome is alive and well.

Rihanna is a good artist and excellent at what she does. I would listen to Rihanna over inane cover versions from Diana Krall every day of the week.:D

Lady Gaga is an excellent artist musically as well. she writes he own songs unlike insipid jazz artists.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing