EVS modified Gustard X20/Gustard X20 thread

Val33

Feb 16, 2017
Hi Quadman. No, I was referring to the two small clocks next to the original 100mhz clock on the input board. However, as explained by Ric, these do not seem to be used at all once you have removed the coax link.

I've now fitted the new clock and also replaced the two LT17633 regulators with TPSA4700's.

I've not fitted a 15pf load capacitor to the clock, have others? Do I need to?

It's sounding pretty good already.

IMG_1353_zpsiztlqv8i.jpg

IMG_1354_zpsa1meoyds.jpg

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
@Ric

Have you mounted the Pulsar clock? Could you please report on it? I don't think you did...

Quadman

Mar 1, 2016
East TN
@val33 Yes it is highly recommended to put a 10 pF ceramic cap between ground and Vin. Hard to tell in the picture but do you have the clock soldered into the x3.3 pad? If so that is the gustards internal 3.3 V supply and i strongly suggest against that. I see you have a battery connected to the clock so I hope it is also not soldered to x3.3. It is also suggested to put a regulator similar to what you have done elsewhere between the clock PSU and the clock. The PSU will then be 5V and stepped down by the regulator to 3.3V. Also that clock draws a lot of amps and needs to be a nice and toasty mid 50 C temp. I suggest making a boot similar to what b0bb did in the LKS 003 thread on head fi P16 thread 233. And Yes I believe that when you clock this way those two other clocks are out of the circuit. Then that clock will take 100 hours of signal to show its potential, it is really good for the $ when you consider what a pulsar costs.

Val33

Feb 16, 2017
@Quadman Thanks for the feedback.

The clock is plugged in to an adaptor that is soldered to the board. The 3.3 supply from the board is cut. Looking at the data sheet, the Abracon clock takes 0.610A on startup, dropping to 0.3A when warm. I'm constant charging the lifepo4 with a 1A 4us supply.

The capacitor I'm referring to is the Load Capacitor, that is recommended to go from the output pin to ground, not Vcc. But I'm not clear if there is already capacitance on the board?

Thanks

Quadman

Mar 1, 2016
East TN
I followed what the accusilicon (mfg of the clock gustard uses) guys said, put across VCC and ground. If you make the boot, current draw will come down closer to .1A.

we think the .15 load is on the board.

Last edited:

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
Because the Pro DAC, the modified output transformers and the modified IFI SPDIF Ipurifier are so dang revealing and transparent, it has forced me into spending many hours tweaking and retweaking the Gustard. I have discovered even more things to make it sound better and retweaked some old tweaks......now it is totally mind blowing. So, the current full mod is ready to go and I am sure everyone receiving them in the next few weeks will tell many a tale.

stereo_phile

Apr 7, 2017
Hi Ric been a while since you modded OPPO 105. Very interested in your Custard pro DAC mod. Your previous Comcast email no longer works.

jjk

Dec 24, 2016
Has anybody heard from Ric lately? Seems like he has gone to the basement. I have emailed him several times at the address listed at tweakaudio, but no answer.
He modded 3 Gustards for me and and Oppo 103, along with the iPurifiers. I run a multichannel system.
Best wishes to all on Memorial Day.

NoridcNorm

Jun 6, 2017
So I just received my Gustard x20Pro and Singxer SU-1, and I'm looking forward to pulling out the soldering iron and performing some of these mods.

I set the jumper pins 3 & 6 on the Singxer, connected an HDMI cable between the two and fed the SU-1 with a USB cable from my pc.

The Gustard just says "UNLOCK"? What gives? I don't have a battery for the remote yet.

Can I still update the firmware version on the Gustard by going through the Singxer? I have the non-USB Gustard.

Cheers,
Norm

pkane

Jan 6, 2017
So I just received my Gustard x20Pro and Singxer SU-1, and I'm looking forward to pulling out the soldering iron and performing some of these mods.

I set the jumper pins 3 & 6 on the Singxer, connected an HDMI cable between the two and fed the SU-1 with a USB cable from my pc.

The Gustard just says "UNLOCK"? What gives? I don't have a battery for the remote yet.

Can I still update the firmware version on the Gustard by going through the Singxer? I have the non-USB Gustard.

Cheers,
Norm

You should be getting a lock. A few things to check:

1. Are you sending audio from your PC? Is it PCM or DSD? How are you sending it? What are the audio settings in your software? Does it work if you use another output from SU-1 into X20pro?
2. Did you install SU-1 driver on your PC and is the SU-1 audio driver selected in your playback software?
3. When you are playing PCM which LEDs are lit on the SU-1? How about if you are playing DSD?
4. Make sure X20Pro has the IIS input selected (it doesn't auto-detect the input)
5. Try a shorter or different HDMI cable.

I've not seen any firmware releases for X20pro, but I would be surprised if you could update its firmware over the I2S input from SU-1.

NoridcNorm

Jun 6, 2017
You should be getting a lock. A few things to check:

4. Make sure X20Pro has the IIS input selected (it doesn't auto-detect the input)

Can I change it without the remote? I don't think so.I'll have to wait until I can find a battery.

Thanks for the suggestions.

cheers,
Norm

pkane

Jan 6, 2017
Can I change it without the remote? I don't think so.I'll have to wait until I can find a battery.

Thanks for the suggestions.

cheers,
Norm

Sure you can: just push and release the volume button to change input. Press and hold if you want to get to the additional settings. Press and hold again to exit settings.

NoridcNorm

Jun 6, 2017
Sure you can: just push and release the volume button to change input. Press and hold if you want to get to the additional settings. Press and hold again to exit settings.

That worked, thanks!

But when I play a DSD file, all I see is "PCM 352.8KHz"? And the SU-1 DSD light isn't lit up? I've installed the drivers. What am I missing?

pkane

Jan 6, 2017
That worked, thanks!

But when I play a DSD file, all I see is "PCM 352.8KHz"? And the SU-1 DSD light isn't lit up? I've installed the drivers. What am I missing?

Sounds like you didn't select DSD output in your audio player software.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Ric, what's the quality of the USB implementation in this and the new L.K.S. unit?

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
Ric, what's the quality of the USB implementation in this and the new L.K.S. unit?

Don't know as I use coax only. There are tons of people who are using Singxer SU-1s (stock and modded) that say that it is way, way better to use that than a stock internal usb board (usb to Singxer and I2S to Gustard or LKS). The LKS sounds better using coax if you disconnect (remove power) its usb board.

What is for sure is that the Gustard is no longer my "Gem". Even my modded Oppo is better and, of course, the LKS as well. I am doing more mods to the Oppo and LKS this week and will have updated info on my site and here, as well. I will start a thread on the Oppo as it is shocking what this thing can do. The Oppo works perfectly at DSD512 via usb (according to those that have tried it) and has Ethernet so I guess? could be used that way to get high speed DSD into it as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing