Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: A visit to DDk's

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! mauidan's Avatar
    A new review of the ESL-2812, starts on page 174. The reviewer thinks the MLs- "lack the last bit of coherence and midrange transparency that only the Quad has."

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_076.pdf
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    A new review of the ESL-2812, starts on page 174. The reviewer thinks the MLs- "lack the last bit of coherence and midrange transparency that only the Quad has."

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_076.pdf
    As I said, everyone has an opinion, and having owned 2905's and listened at length to the latest 2912's , A/B'd with their CLX Art's on the same equipment in the main demo room at KJ West 1. The 2912's are a fabulous transducer, and are IMO an evolution in performance upon the 2905's. They do close the gap on the CLX, especially when considering the relative RRP points, yet for myself that margin in performance, same room, ancillary equipment and source material, still remains quite perceivable enough, even in the area of midrange clarity, which whilst close, IMHO the CLX retains its place.

I quite concur with much of the review you reference, his point about the importance in matching the right amplifier with larger ESL's I made myself earlier, however! I do not agree with the his point of view with regard to Quads unassailable position in midrange clarity. I also note that the reviewer makes specific reference to the Logan hybrid models and to my knowledge that particular publication has yet to review the ML CLX.

Anyhoo, let's return to the subject matter of this most interesting thread.
    Last edited by Harlequin; 04-05-2016 at 01:22 AM.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Does the 2912 have more bass and dynamics? I love Quad coherence and mids, if they had more dynamics and bass, they would be awesome
    Last edited by bonzo75; 04-05-2016 at 02:40 AM.

Well as its your thread bonzo Yes, I would say with the handfull of tweaks that Quad have implemented the 12's have evolved and improved slightly upon the 05's in that they feel more assured at high SPL's and with large scale dynamic swings. Are they quite dynamic enough for stellar Mahler reproduction ?!?!?

Addicted to Best!
    I have heard the 57 quite often in both stock and upgraded editions. WHat that speaker does right can be magic in the right room with the right system. I also understand the limitations and would\have been willing to live with them. I have heard a pair of upgraded/tweaked 2905 and personally thought it was one of the best speakers I had heard in a long time. Can't remember if I had ever heard a stock pair of 2905s but if I didn't love what horns do a bit more I would explore this route.

Beau

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    Well as its your thread bonzo Yes, I would say with the handfull of tweaks that Quad have implemented the 12's have evolved and improved slightly upon the 05's in that they feel more assured at high SPL's and with large scale dynamic swings. Are they quite dynamic enough for stellar Mahler reproduction ?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by beaur View Post
    I have heard the 57 quite often in both stock and upgraded editions. WHat that speaker does right can be magic in the right room with the right system. I also understand the limitations and would\have been willing to live with them. I have heard a pair of upgraded/tweaked 2905 and personally thought it was one of the best speakers I had heard in a long time. Can't remember if I had ever heard a stock pair of 2905s but if I didn't love what horns do a bit more I would explore this route.

Beau
    I can appreciate where you are coming from Beau, for my part Stats and True Horns are a game of swings and roundabouts and it is my final destination plan to run both, either in one large or two separate systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    I can appreciate where you are coming from Beau, for my part Stats and True Horns are a game of swings and roundabouts and it is my final destination plan to run both, either in one large or two separate systems.
    The problem you'll run into is the electronics and what might push you into one camp or another. I went the SET route years ago and why I ended up with horns, as much a I like the SL A1 or Apogee Divas I can't go back to ss electronics. I also found that most of these wonderful sensitive vintage horns are unlistenable with ss electronics.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    The problem you'll run into is the electronics and what might push you into one camp or another. I went the SET route years ago and why I ended up with horns, as much a I like the SL A1 or Apogee Divas I can't go back to ss electronics. I also found that most of these wonderful sensitive vintage horns are unlistenable with ss electronics.

david
    I quite agree David, ergo my Evil plan to run with SET's on Horns and my incumbant ARC 250SE's or similar topology for the panel's

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post

david
    David, yr words of caution are a big reason I'm unlikely to go anywhere else other than high eff spkrs. Once smitten by SETs, this love affair can't be reversed. And my Nat Audio 211s truly insist on me sticking w/them LOL. So, for me it's stick w/101dB efff Zus, or take the plunge to horns. A decision I can take a good long unrushed time contemplating.
    Last edited by spiritofmusic; 04-06-2016 at 08:50 AM.
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm/Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart w.Red Wine batt psu/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Symposium Isis & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas ic's, sc's & pc's/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets/Entreq Silver Tellus & Olympus Minimus ground boxes, Silver Cleanus passive filter, Apollo ground leads

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    Once smitten by SETs, this love affair can't be reversed.
    I heard that SET + Full-Range speakers are the best thing since sliced bread.

I think DSD256 and above coupled with those must be something extraordinary.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678