Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A visit to DDk's

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    I second this question!

(Was it the Analysis Audio Omegas that reproduced for you piano convincingly?)
    With NATs they did with SS they didn't. Also that was digital 2 years ago and this is vinyl. There was much more going on here, the cartridge also mattered so much and the TT

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Those in Europe should spend some time in the Munich western electric Silbatone room and visit Leipzig to listen to western electric 16a with GIP drivers to get a feel of this - all this sound is different from modern hifi and nothing in our normal experience prepares us to listen to vintage music. The people who have the costliest systems have vintage hifi, after having done the curve of hifi magazine reviewed brands. The Hyundai billionaire can buy all the systems on this forum for breakfast, but chooses to go WE. With cables $5 per m.
    I think the challenge for many of us is the space, the ones in DDKs rooms seem H-U-G-E beyond belief. As much as I would love to contemplate such a system...the big Wilsons have a 16" x 24" footprint and can sometimes work well tucked back (a bit) in corners. Thus, while the SOTA stuff like Arrakis, 4-tower Pendragons might be way more expensive, the question is are they producing something still-pretty-phenomenal while also being able to be more practical in many people's homes where, despite the insane cost of hifi, the real estate can sometimes cost way more (or it seriously impractical to move or build).

it is in this regard that i give a lot of credit to designers like David Wilson who have managed to create a speaker that reproduces much of music very well, while remaining within a cubic area that fits in a lot more homes/spaces (not to mention its adjustability to those many homes/spaces).
    Speaker: Wilson X1/Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amps: CJ GAT/Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: SC/IC:TA Opus 5/RefMM2 PC:PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    16 Isolation 'Sandwiches': Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground/Shield: 4 x 16A Lines w/ Furutech Outlets / Burmester948/NordostQX4 / Tripoint (TroySig+Thor) / Entreq (Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap)
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex7308 Mullard(6922 6CA4 6X4) TeleE88CC

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    With NATs they did with SS they didn't. Also that was digital 2 years ago and this is vinyl. There was much more going on here, the cartridge also mattered so much and the TT
    That Neumann cartridge he uses is a gem
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

nice writeup Bonzo. i'd love a trip to Utah to hear the behemoths some day.

as much as I enjoy reading your stories, i'll make one suggestion though- audio shouldn't be that difficult, man. at some point you just have to step up and buy some gear and be happy. nobody can hear every iteration of analog for instance. too many variables involved and at some point its counterproductive. just relax and enjoy the music

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    I think the challenge for many of us is the space, the ones in DDKs rooms seem H-U-G-E beyond belief. As much as I would love to contemplate such a system...the big Wilsons have a 16" x 24" footprint and can sometimes work well tucked back (a bit) in corners. Thus, while the SOTA stuff like Arrakis, 4-tower Pendragons might be way more expensive, the question is are they producing something still-pretty-phenomenal while also being able to be more practical in many people's homes where, despite the insane cost of hifi, the real estate can sometimes cost way more (or it seriously impractical to move or build).

it is in this regard that i give a lot of credit to designers like David Wilson who have managed to create a speaker that reproduces much of music very well, while remaining within a cubic area that fits in a lot more homes/spaces (not to mention its adjustability to those many homes/spaces).
    I can't disagree Lloyd but once someone hears David's system, IMO everything else becomes a runner up. One must hear and experience it to truly understand how amazing these speakers are with the Lamm electronics
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    nice writeup Bonzo. i'd love a trip to Utah to hear the behemoths some day.

as much as I enjoy reading your stories, i'll make one suggestion though- audio shouldn't be that difficult, man. at some point you just have to step up and buy some gear and be happy. nobody can hear every iteration of analog for instance. too many variables involved and at some point its counterproductive. just enjoy the music.
    I never said it was difficult. It is very enjoyable. I am cutting through years of experience and upgraditis issues. I enjoy music on concert halls, over 50 concerts a year, and don't need this hobby to listen to music. I am in this hobby because I have my own OCD like everyone else on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post

Lloyd, visit Leipzig...it is easy...compare it to any Wilson or Rockport sound. Also the WE 16a needs to be set up on one small wall, and can address one person in a small room or 800 people in a theatre with equal ease, at 180 degrees off axis

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    I am in such a nasty mood I feel like derailing this thread by saying we put the CD into his Weiss dac and it all sounded the same
    You already did.

* I don't know if David already know but he would be an excellent contributor → www.audionirvana.org

P.S. Yes, he already know ...

Name:  avatar130_3.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  45.7 KB
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! MadFloyd's Avatar
    Great report, Ked! I am in awe of the commitment you have made. I don't know of anything as informative as being afforded the opportunities to hear a series of great home systems. I think it is a smart investment and through your efforts to document it we all learn something and of course, are entertained.
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods Amplification: CAT JL7s (preamp and phono TBD)
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon / dCS Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna cables / Shunyata Denali 6000T, Sigma Zitron PC's / Furutech outlets
    Misc: Steve Blinn Designs rack & amp stands

Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Great report, Ked! I am in awe of the commitment you have made. I don't know of anything as informative as being afforded the opportunities to hear a series of great home systems. I think it is a smart investment and through your efforts to document it we all learn something and of course, are entertained.
    Yeah this is all entertainment. I think this trip more than paid for itself, I am new to analog and cut through so much with such trips

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast