Sources and Prices of 1/2" Prerecorded Tapes

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Other than Tape Project, where are people buying 1/2" prerecorded tapes (15ips 2track)? What are prices?
I'm preparing for my new machine, coming in a couple of weeks.

Thanks, Larry

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Larry-

MTSL (Master Tape SoundLab) lists 'other formats' (1/2" 30 IPS...15 IPS?) availability here: http://mastertapesoundlab.com/MasterTapeSoundLab/Products_and_Services.html

Yarlung Records also offers 1/2" versions of their titles: http://www.yarlungrecords.com/analog.html#a2

Whether or not you're getting material sourced from a 1/2" master is the question, I don't own tapes from either studio. Could be that a large number of the 1/2" tapes you're likely to come across were done from digital masters. Heck, I even have a few that were recorded from DSD downloads and they'll knock your socks off....

Tom

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, Tom. I have the Yarlung tapes, but on 1/4". Don't have any of the MTSL tapes however. I'm emailing them for pricing. Much appreciated. Larry

Other than Tape Project, where are people buying 1/2" prerecorded tapes (15ips 2track)? What are prices?
I'm preparing for my new machine, coming in a couple of weeks.

Thanks, Larry

Larry,

I don't know if you got a chance to hear the second Vanessa Fernandez album When The Levee Breaks over the weekend, I gather it was played in a few rooms. Groove Note will make four copies of the album on 1/2", two of which are still available as of Sunday for sale. Sorry I don't know the actual $$ price.
PM me & I'll put you in direct contact with Ying Tan from Groove Note. I ordered a 1/4" copy ($600), these are due to ship around the end of the year.

I hope you continue to enjoy your NADAC

Philip

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, Philip, will do. The NADAC is working great. I was at Steve Williams' place on Thursday and got to hear part of the Vanessa Fernandez album on vinyl. If Led Zeppelin sounded that good, I might have become a fan. Larry

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks, Philip, will do. The NADAC is working great. I was at Steve Williams' place on Thursday and got to hear part of the Vanessa Fernandez album on vinyl. If Led Zeppelin sounded that good, I might have become a fan. Larry

well Larry......sounds like you need some LZ tapes to fix that. they did/do sound that good.:D

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Mike,

Are the Zep tapes verifiable AAA dubs
:confused:

Mike,

Sorry for the confusion, we are referring to the Vanessa Fernandez album When The Levee Breaks - LZ cover album from Groove Note, an original analogue recording.

Ciao,
Philip

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

no 'grey market' tape is truly verifiable. they are all sourced from CD's.:D

if you have the secret handshake then you get the story about their provenance. and you Sam, have the secret handshake.;)

Tuesday night i'll play this particular tape at the local audio club meeting in my room. I seriously doubt anyone there will need to verify anything; they will just need to trust their ears.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hola Philip,

So, available in 1/4", 15 ips or 1/2" 30?
Sorry, if I misunderstood/-stand...appreciate your taking the time to clarify re: V. Fernandez. :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
no 'grey market' tape is truly verifiable. they are all sourced from CD's.:D

if you have the secret handshake then you get the story about their provenance. and you Sam, have the secret handshake.;)

Tuesday night i'll play this particular tape at the local audio club meeting in my room. I seriously doubt anyone there will need to verify anything; they will just need to trust their ears.

Haha, Mike -- good one! :D
You folks in the PNW have ALL the fun. :p

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
^^^
Yup, those guys! Ugh ;)

So, available in 1/4", 15 ips or 1/2" 30?
Sorry, if I misunderstood/-stand...appreciate your taking the time to clarify re: V. Fernandez. :)

Sam,

My misunderstanding; Groove Note only plan on selling ¼" 15ips dubs. Around Dec / January @ $600.

I ordered a copy already. Should be llaying over the holidays; drop by fir a listen.

Regards,
Philip

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, can you play 1/2" 30ips? I just received the master of Anne Bisson's next album on tape from Bernie Grundman. I could bring that on Tuesday for a spin.

yes I can; but the EQ for 30ips is slightly different from 15 ips when I use the King Cello output. should be no problem. if Ki shows up he can do the adjustment with the stock output circuit on the Studer A-820 I think.

I've never made that change; i'll take a look and try to call Ki to get some coaching.

Last edited:

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Sam,

My misunderstanding; Groove Note only plan on selling ¼" 15ips dubs. Around Dec / January @ $600.

I ordered a copy already. Should be llaying over the holidays; drop by fir a listen.

Regards,
Philip

Greetings, Philip,

That would be lovely. BTW, we owe you dinner. :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
yes I can; but the EQ for 30ips is slightly different from 15 ips when I use the King Cello output. should be no problem. if Ki shows up he can do the adjustment with the stock output circuit on the Studer A-820 I think.

I've never made that change; i'll take a look and try to call Ki to get some coaching.

Hi Mike,

According to MRL, AES/IEC2 is the current standard for 30 in/s recording.
Curiously, for 7.5 and 15 in/s recording, NAB is also referred to as IEC2 (
http://mrltapes.com/which-cal-tape.html).

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Ki said that he will do his best to be there. I'll meet him for lunch and hand him the masters.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Larry, are you finding enough quality tapes to whet your classical appetite?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Larry, are you finding enough quality tapes to whet your classical appetite?

Hi Kedar,

Short answer: no. Long answer: I did buy a BIG collection from someone who was getting rid of his tapes and machine. It did contain over 50 reels of 1/2" tapes and 130+ reels of 1/4" tapes (all 15ips 2 track). However, fewer than a dozen were classical. My main source of classical has been Ed Pong's UltraAnalogue which are all chamber music recorded in his home studio. Remarkable tapes, but fewer than 40 so far. I also bought almost all of the Opus3 classical tapes (9 albums 18 reels) that they are offering. Tape Project has released 12 reels of classical so far (6 albums), and Horch House-Lutz Precision has released about the same. There are a handful from others (Yarlung, Open Reel, ABC Int'l, Jonathan Horwich, and I got Todd Garfinkle to release his fine Goldberg Variations album on Tape on his MA label.) That's it. I have been working on another company who does very high quality vinyl to do tapes. It has taken close to three years, but I have gotten some encouraging signs. I do have a large number of 7.5ips 1/4 track classical tapes (maybe 500+) which range from poor to excellent, the best still fall far short of the super high standard of the typical 15ips 2 track tape.

One indirect source is Bob Witrak (High Definition Tape Transfer) who has been digitizing tapes for several years now, many of which are 15ips 2 track tapes, typically 1/4", but sometimes even better. He has recently been doing DSD256 on many of them, which sound quite fine. Most of his releases are classical.

At this point I am hoping that Chad Kassem will be able to license the RCA Living Stereo albums he has been releasing so he can offer them on tape.

Extremely unlikely ever to reach even a small fraction of my vinyl collection.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing