Sources and Prices of 1/2" Prerecorded Tapes

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Maybe instead of using the current you, let's use the future me as reference :). If one had to make a collection of around a 100 favorite classical pieces - including the usual symphonies - Beethoven, Mahler, pieces from Wagner, Bach, vivaldi, etc...some violin concertos...and arias and operatic pieces...is there a good collection available?

My main volumes will come from digital, so long term I will have to choose vinyl or tape only for some of my favorites.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
At this point, I think it is wishful thinking with a big dose of hope. Most of the sources (that is Ed Pong and Bob Attiyeh) are doing their own recordings - so they can't afford to do large scale pieces, the ones you are most interested in having. Tape Project, aside from two early Decca albums which they got with their relationship with Winston Ma, have only released Reference Recordings classical issues, which themselves are quite limited in number, especially ones recorded in analogue. The best realistic current hope is Horch House, which has been able to get licenses for some major works (I have Mahler's 1st, and the very fine Herman Prey Mozart Arias albums licensed from Eterna and the Steinberg Also Sprach from DGG). Their earlier symphonic releases (which I also have) were with a lesser regional German orchestra where the licensing was easier, but the playing not as compelling.

Anyway, unless Sony (RCA, Columbia) or Universal (Decca, Philips, DGG, Mercury) or Warner (EMI) open their tape vaults to an interested company with enough capital (hopefully Chad), I don't see enough of a flood of classical orchestral tapes being available. We have to remember that all the big companies stopped doing analogue recording 30+ years ago. If Chad were able to make available tape copies of the RCA Living Stereo albums he has and is planning on releasing, that certainly would go a long way toward the collection you are talking about.

With my new ATR-102 arriving shortly, I am going to experiment with recording some of the stereo DSD files from downloads I have (particularly the 256DSD) to see what they sound like on tape. Not sure why they would sound better than the original files, but the experiment will be easy enough to do.

Larry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Excellent answer. Looking forward to your DSD copy experiment

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, wish you could be there too.:)

Mike, what a fantastic evening that was. I almost couldn't leave. Your room is to die for - with the system doing the thing that only the best systems can do. That is to get away from being between you and the music, and being a conduit for the music to flow.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, what a fantastic evening that was. I almost couldn't leave. Your room is to die for - with the system doing the thing that only the best systems can do. That is to get away from being between you and the music, and being a conduit for the music to flow.

I'm glad you could make it, and thank you for bringing that tape. 1/2", 30ips, real deal master.......by Bernie Grundman played on the A-820/King Cello.......is hard to beat. how many have heard that sort of thing?

I appreciate that comment about my system coming from you, as you certainly get around to hear many aspiring systems. getting the reproduction process out of the way of the music completely has been my guiding thought these many years (it's in the header paragraph I wrote 12 years ago for my Audiogon system page).

last night the star of the show was collective enjoyment of the great music. the sound or gear was beside the point.

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Mike, I got a report from one of the attendees. Sounds wonderful - a great time had by all. Larry

curbfeeler

Apr 19, 2012
The music night at Mike's was wonderful, informative and special. When I had the good fortune to sit in the captain's chair the imaging experienced was holographic. I have had glimpses into the evolution of Mike's system and listening room courtesy of our local Pacific Northwest Audio Society. Early on the balances were rough, but every audition has shown improvement. Now there is little to fault. Just need to be in that sweet spot, but that is the way of it with most great music reproducers. Very quiet backgrounds. Great dynamic leap and nuance. Hearing the tapes is exceptional as most folks wouldn't have access to them. Thank you, Mike and Pam.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing