Another music thread...Oh no!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
We have plenty of gear threads on this forum....So, I thought another music thread might be interesting.

My question is how many of us listen to as their prime choice....
1) Jazz-- bop
2) Jazz- Fusion
3) Hip Hop
4) Rock-- Soft
5) Rock--Hard
6) Blues
7) Classical--Orchestral
8) Classical--Band
9) Opera
10) Reggae
11) World Music
12) Country
13) Blue Grass
14) Easy Listening
15) Rockabilly
16) Metal
17) Soul
18) R&B
19) Gospel
20) rap
21) Something else..

Thinking about my system and room, I have a decided lean to jazz....small group, classical and blue grass. With a particular emphasis on smaller jazz bands playing Bop. Now, that is what i prefer playing and listening to on this system...can it do choral or hard or hard rock-- sure but that is not what I prefer listening to in my sessions. Your system and music preference?

Once we have decided our preference, have we designed our system and our room around our preference?? If so, how??

Last edited:

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Lately I have been listening to popera.
The singers/groups that I listen to (in no particular order) are:
1) Katherine Jenkins
2) Haley Westenra
3) Amici
4) Il Divo
5) The Canadian Tenors
6) Russell Watson
7) Sarah Brightman

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
1) Prog
2) Rock
3) Blues
4) Metal
5) Jazz all kinds
6) Electronic Tangerine Dream Etc..
7) Classical
8) Flok/Bluegrass
9) STRUGGLING REAL hard to appreciate Opera as of late.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
R&B will go straight to the top of the list - if a system can't do this right, projecting the drive, intensity and verve of listening to a good group of muso's doing this in the flesh, then it will never fit.

If the dynamics and bite of this musical style are in place, then the system will mostly handle other stuff well. At the other end, Easy Listening can often catch a setup out, because it's crucial to get the tonality exactly right.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
21) Southern Rock

Tom

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Currently mostly classical in small ensembles, and rock -- hard rock and punk rock (Green Day). At other times jazz avantgarde and orchestral.

These days I am enjoying quite a bit how well my system does rock. Rock guitars sound outstanding. Lots of weight and speed in the bass (from upper through mid to low), bass that pressurizes the room so you can feel it, and great rhythm & timing, drive. A lot of it has to with not just the equipment but also with the room and acoustic treatment as I found out recently:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20189-ASC-tube-traps-effect-of-their-absence

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Currently mostly classical in small ensembles, and rock -- hard rock and punk rock (Green Day). At other times jazz avantgarde and orchestral.

These days I am enjoying quite a bit how well my system does rock. Rock guitars sound outstanding. Lots of weight and speed in the bass (from upper through mid to low), bass that pressurizes the room so you can feel it, and great rhythm & timing, drive. A lot of it has to with not just the equipment but also with the room and acoustic treatment as I found out recently:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20189-ASC-tube-traps-effect-of-their-absence

I think rock seems to sound best with the size of the room and the size of the drivers being large. IMHO, big 15" or 18" drivers attached to large speakers...many times horn based seem to work best for rock. A subwoofer that can drop down deep and sats that are not dynamically limited can also work, so long as the room can support that.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I think rock seems to sound best with the size of the room and the size of the drivers being large. IMHO, big 15" or 18" drivers attached to large speakers...many times horn based seem to work best for rock. A subwoofer that can drop down deep and sats that are not dynamically limited can also work, so long as the room can support that.

It also depends on how loud you want to play it. If you want 110 dBa sound, a system like mine will not be your first choice. I prefer to play rock no louder than 90 dBa because I don't want to kill my hearing. It is already somewhat high-frequency limited due to age and a few sins in the past and I don't want to unnecessarily push that trend (with orchestral I go to higher SPL, because these are not continuous). But 90 dBa on rock in my system sounds plenty loud and big already. A non-audiophile who listened to my system last summer was so surprised about the size and impact of my sound that he said it sounded like speaker towers at a rock show. Well, that's a bit exaggerated...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm more of a DJ whose music selections 'flows/evolves' over time through the day...(actually, that makes it sound a lot cooler than it really is).

If its a weekend, typically start with classical (small quartets, sonatas)...if i sit down to work, i can switch to piano solo (Bach, Haydn)...then move as time goes onto to Concertos...ie, still with a solo instrument...i then either switch to choral...or sometimes to Lord of the Rings soundtrack or something...if i switch to soundtrack, then i might switch to Hans Zimmer...by afternoon, after Dark Knight or something, it might then move to deep house with electronic/orchestra-like...by evening, if we are going out, then it switches from deep house to R&B or Hip Hop...

If we are staying in for dinner, and want to have some fun, i might switch over to Ella during dinner, and then to Oscar Peterson for after-dinner drinks...and Miles for late nite...or if we are working late, then it might be Deep Forest or Dead Can Dance to keep focused...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
1. Prog
2. Rock
3. Blues
4. R&B/Soul
5. Jazz
6. Everything else in smaller doses.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
We have plenty of gear threads on this forum....So, I thought another music thread might be interesting.

1) Jazz-- bop
2) Jazz- Fusion
3) Hip Hop
4) Rock-- Soft
5) Rock--Hard
6) Blues
7) Classical--Orchestral
8) Classical--Band
9) Opera
10) Reggae
11) World Music
12) Country
13) Blue Grass
14) Easy Listening
15) Rockabilly
16) Metal
17) Soul
18) R&B
19) Gospel
20) rap
21) Something else..

As an avid listener and collector of over 300 Broadway musicals, I found your list to be conspicuously missing that genre, in which I will include things like Gilbert and Sullivan since they are really late 1800's British "broadway".

Other favored genres include Baroque, Classical and Romantic era music from 1600 to 1900 and mostly from 1750 to 1850. [Before that music wasn't so well developed and after that it was crap but I am very tolerant of most music except for rap, hip-hop and other similar noise. :D ]

I also enjoy Progressive rock, some jazz, especially big band jazz, some opera, getting up to walk around the house between disks just like between acts at the opera--NOBODY can sit for 2 1/2 hours listening to opera without a break!

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

1) Jazz-- bop
2) Jazz- Fusion
3) Hip Hop
4) Rock-- Soft
5) Rock--Hard
6) Blues
7) Classical--Orchestral
8) Classical--Band
9) Opera
10) Reggae
11) World Music
12) Country
13) Blue Grass
14) Easy Listening
15) Rockabilly
16) Metal
17) Soul
18) R&B
19) Gospel
20) rap
21) Something else..

Thinking about my system and room, I have a decided lean to jazz....small group, classical and blue grass. With a particular emphasis on smaller jazz bands playing Bop. Now, that is what i prefer playing and listening to on this system...can it do choral or hard or hard rock-- sure but that is not what I prefer listening to in my sessions. Your system and music preference?

Once we have decided our preference, have we designed our system and our room around our preference?? If so, how??

How does "all things ECM" get classified? Some Jazz, some world-music for sure, but a lot of it is hard to assign to a specific genre

1. World music
2. Jazz (neither bob not fusion - more "cool")
3. All things ECM (hard to classify)
4. Rock
5. Classical - chamber music

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm usually on a diet of prog, classic rock, power pop, and certain varieties of jazz (modal/spiritual is my preferred, followed by soul/funk jazz, but I do like some hard bop). I try to play a classical piece at least once a day, as a kind of "cleanser" :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing