T+A 1- bit converters in the PDP-3000HV and DAC 8 DSD

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You honestly do not know what you are missing. The difference between up-sampling to DSD128 vs to DSD512 on the DAC8DSD is NOT subtle or a small increase in sound quality.
This is based on using HQ Player.

Though, I should not give you too high of expectations. On second thought, it is very subtle. You will have to strain to hear the difference, lol.

Although I understand that size will be enormous, is it possible to get some DSD512 files and play them using a "normal" player, other than the HQ Player?

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
Although I understand that size will be enormous, is it possible to get some DSD512 files and play them using a "normal" player, other than the HQ Player?

I am unaware of any music that is recorded in DSD512. The highest I know of are DSD256. You could up-sample offline to DSD512 if that helps you.

Though in order to play DSD512 you still would need a player that can handle that rate. What player did you plan on using?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Briefly, the soundstage is more expansive, resolution greater, noise floor lower and palpability greater. All these attributes are enhanced with an increase in volume whereas with the AA the sound occasionally became congested and course.

I had the GG, with the EML45s, insitu for a week or so but even though I appreciated the increase in SQ over the AA felt that ultimately the GG wasn't for me. Just something 'not quite right'.

This DAC8DSD has won me over with both PCM and finally DSD and honestly prefer it over the AA. The real development will be when I get to hear everything upsampled to DSD512, currently maxing out at DSD128 and PCM384.

I have but recently caught up with this most interesting thread, particularly from my own perspective as I mull over my short list of potential digital purchase in course of this year, the T+A DAC8DSD having now added to that list.

I would be most interested in any first hand user experiences of comparison with the DCS Rossini or Vivaldi 2.0.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I have but recently caught up with this most interesting thread, particularly from my own perspective as I mull over my short list of potential digital purchase in course of this year, the T+A DAC8DSD having now added to that list.

I would be most interested in any first hand user experiences of comparison with the DCS Rossini or Vivaldi 2.0.

I will have a sample to review in a couple of days. Will have it set up to upsample all to DSD512 as recommended. Will be comparing it to my MSB Diamond Plus IV

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I am unaware of any music that is recorded in DSD512. The highest I know of are DSD256. You could up-sample offline to DSD512 if that helps you.
Though in order to play DSD512 you still would need a player that can handle that rate. What player did you plan on using?

Yes. You'd need to upsample music files to get to DSD 512.
And the number of DACs capable of DSD 512 playback is pretty small. But there are 23 shown in the DSD Database (out of 432 DSD DACs listed), including the ones from T+A.

http://www.nativedsd.com/database

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I will have a sample to review in a couple of days. Will have it set up to upsample all to DSD512 as recommended. Will be comparing it to my MSB Diamond Plus IV

Can you tell us what sort of hardware setup, and what flavor of OS you will be using ?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Can you tell us what sort of hardware setup, and what flavor of OS you will be using ?

I will be using my CAPS Zuma as per CA running NAA with a JCAT USB card and both powered by a LPS by Core Audio called Kaia with his top cables. The CAPS will be AO optimized Server 2012 R2.

The computer running Roon and HQPlayer will be a Win 10 Pro with a 5960 Processor and Nvidia Titan (one card) networked to the CAPS

System is ARC REF10-->ARC GS150-->Nola Concert Grand Golds all wired with Valhalla 2 with a Silver Circle 5.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I will be using my CAPS Zuma as per CA running NAA with a JCAT USB card and both powered by a LPS by Core Audio called Kaia with his top cables. The CAPS will be AO optimized Server 2012 R2.

The computer running Roon and HQPlayer will be a Win 10 Pro with a 5960 Processor and Nvidia Titan (one card) networked to the CAPS

System is ARC REF10-->ARC GS150-->Nola Concert Grand Golds all wired with Valhalla 2 with a Silver Circle 5.

Nice !

It should be a very interesting comparison between the MSB DS IV and the T+A DAC 8 DSD

Which HQP filters and SDM modulators do you prefer ?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Nice !

It should be a very interesting comparison between the MSB DS IV and the T+A DAC 8 DSD

Which HQP filters and SDM modulators do you prefer ?

I have my HQP filters, etc setup EXACTLY as you recommended even though I have no endpoint at this point until tomorrow or SAT although NAA is on my CAPS waiting for the T&A to be streamed to. I am not sure how many hours the unit I am getting to demo has on it so I will let it run for awhile. I am very excited to hear this thing

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I have my HQP filters, etc setup EXACTLY as you recommended even though I have no endpoint at this point until tomorrow or SAT although NAA is on my CAPS waiting for the T&A to be streamed to. I am not sure how many hours the unit I am getting to demo has on it so I will let it run for awhile. I am very excited to hear this thing

The settings I would recommend are a bit of a moving target !

Send me an email, and we can try discuss. There are 3 filters which are interesting and 4 modulators which seem to shine. Noise shaping setting is also something to experiment with

The settings which work well are pretty PC platform and system dependent.

The T+A DAC 8 DSD responds very positively to vibration control too !

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Lothar Wiemann, the Chief Engineer of T+A for the first time. The meeting was short as I had to pick up the PDP-3000 for testing before Munich. We audiophiles are very lucky to have such a talented, creative and innovative guy like Lothar pushing the envelop on DSD. I will just give one quotation

"for DSD playback, jitter control is really important"

Lothar then went on to describe the measures he has taken to get the jitter under control, some of which are pretty dam clever and elegant

I think it's going to be some time before another sub US $ 20 K DSD 512 converter sounds as good as Lothars !

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I found a test review of the PDP-3000HV on a German website and cleaned up the Google translation of the discussion about the 1-bit converter

https://www.fidelity-magazin.de/2016/01/13/ta-pdp-3000-hv/

T + A built the 1-bit converter itself - and not by specifying an externally manufactured converter chip. Instead, the resourceful Westphalian company created a discrete, series-connected shift register (flip-flop circuits or 1-bit memory), with each register location having its output current (binary value) weighted by resistors and then summed.
This sounds and is also technically considered relatively simple, but implementation in practice is an enormous challenge. This primarily is due to increasing jitter problems at the higher sampling rates, which requires an extremely accurate interconnection routing. In an integrated chip, this would be something hardly feasible. In addition, the 1-bit converter of T + A processes extremely high clock frequencies up to about 23 megahertz, which corresponds to 8-fold DSD with amazing 512 times oversampling.

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
I just wanted to clarify a few things.

While the T+A DAC 8 DSD is very special when being fed DSD512 it is no slouch when it is given DSD256.

It sounded damn good, and I am trying to be conservative here, when it was given DSD256. IMHO, it would outperform many, if not most, at around its price point using DSD256, and at worst equal some. Again I have not heard every DAC out there but I have heard many of the ones that are considered top in there class.

So if someone needed to wait to upgrade their PC they would be very happy in the mean time with using DSD256 and HQ Player.

But of course the ultimate in sound with the T+A DAC 8 DSD is with DSD512. And you can get more out of it depending on your PC. You can start with a "basic" PC with a powerful enough Processor (i6700) W10 and AO, using HQ Player (and Roon if you want) or you can trick out the PC to get even further sound quality (or a SGMS).

Not bad when you think about it.

You have a DAC (T+A DAC 8 DSD) that can equal or exceed other DAC's at its price point but once you are able to upgrade your PC you now have a DAC that plays with the big boys and in many cases have been reported to beat them at their own game.

Not bad, not bad at all

Sunny

I just got the DAC8 DSD in my store. Big improvement over the previous DAC8. I absolutely love it. It matches well with the AMP 8. I have listened to the Wilson Sophia 3, T+A Criterion TCD speakers and also the Aerial 5T Bookshelf speakers.
I am very impressed.
Come on by and audition this amazing DAC at Sunny Components Inc

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I am going to try and set up HQPlayer and Roon on the laptop so I can do DSD512 upsampled but what I have heard so far with an Aurender N10 feeding the DAC8 DSD is very good.

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
The "word" is that Roon and HQplayer sound best via a Windows 10 optimized audio PC......with appropriate isolation (sonore microrender or Jitterbug/Regen combo). Hope you get to hear it that way some day (dsd 512 upsampled).

How does your stock $869 Gustard compare to the stock $4000 T+A? Too bad you never heard a level one or two modded Gustard!!! For only $425 the level one mod to the Gustard puts it in another dimension from stock....I sure you have read Quadman's posts.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
The "word" is that Roon and HQplayer sound best via a Windows 10 optimized audio PC......with appropriate isolation (sonore microrender or Jitterbug/Regen combo). Hope you get to hear it that way some day (dsd 512 upsampled).

How does your stock $869 Gustard compare to the stock $4000 T+A? Too bad you never heard a level one or two modded Gustard!!! For only $425 the level one mod to the Gustard puts it in another dimension from stock....I sure you have read Quadman's posts.

With Linux, which the microRendu is running, the DAC 8 DSD can only do DSD 128 over DOP. To deliver DSD 512 (native) the computer has to run Windows 7, 8 or 10 and have the Windows ASIO USB driver installed. Same story with Mac OS, maxiumum is DSD 128 over DOP

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I am going to try and set up HQPlayer and Roon on the laptop so I can do DSD512 upsampled but what I have heard so far with an Aurender N10 feeding the DAC8 DSD is very good.

I'm limited to using an old MacBook running Audirvana+2 which will output DSD128 Max and will not play reliably any PCM>DSD, too small processor/ram.
On a whim, well my partner needed a new one in any case, I purchased a MacBook Pro quad core/16gb/1tb to give the PCM>DSD a try whilst waiting for the SGM server demo.
Can you believe that the Pro will not play ball with the T+A, something to do with ElCapitan and USB3 audio. The Dac is just not recognised. I even thought the cable or port was dead but no, the Dac is just not seen.
If anyone knows any 'trick' to get this working it may give me a taste of what is to come.

I'm still thrilled with PCM on this dac and with some DSD recordings it's stellar, but not all. Ella Fitzgerald, Let no man write my epitaph, AP DSD download sounds worse than the CD rip (DCC Gold) with the rip upsampled to DSD one point better still (apart from the old Mac not playing the whole track continuously).

So I'll just have to bide my time until the SGM server gets here next month.

Almost forgot, the Dac is sensitive to footers. I believe Stillpoints are the preferred option but I'm having great success with Yamamoto MGB2 and a sturdy power cord, Sablon Reserva.

And recommendation for music tonight, Leyla McCalla, A Day for the Hunter, A Day for the Prey, available from Qobuz.[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=czmaR4wVqoQ[/video]

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
I think there is an update to the Microrendu that lets it play native DSD512. I just asked Jesus about it on their forum on Audiocircle. I will let you know what he says.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing