Parting Ways with ATR100 and Tapes!

rrr

May 17, 2010
Thanks to all that responded!

I wanted to let you know that all of the tapes were sold to a single buyer.

The ATR is still available and I would be delighted to hear from anyone interested in it.

Best Regards to All

I have decided to sell my ATR100 deck and my tape collection consisting of mostly master copies.

The ATR was completely rebuilt by Mike Spitz at ATR Services several years ago and was used for only a few months. It is configured as an upright system and is set in a custom made metal enclosure. The ATR is pretty much like new but to be safe, I am having it completely checked out by an ATR expert from Los Angeles, (recommended by ATR Services), so that i will be confident that everything is performing to spec. This ATR has both 1/4" and 1/2" playback heads and retains the original ATR Preamp with an A/B switch installed to permit bypass to an external preamp (King Cello). An original ATR Remote Control is installed and a huge binder of documentation provided by Mike Spitz is included. This is a "State of the Art" transport that was built from scratch with no expense spared and is in beautiful condition.

There are approximately 180 tapes, both 1/4" and 1/2" that I obtained from three principal sources that are familiar to most people who would be interested in these tapes. Some tapes are 1/2" (not 1/4") Tape Project Tapes, a second source was in Europe, the third source in California. All tapes from the European source were received as "Pancakes" and I added leaders where necessary, put the tapes on brand new reels and labeled them and the other tapes are all on new reels as delivered. The tape titles are mostly Rock, Classical & Jazz, many have only been played once. I would be glad to send photos of the ATR and Tapes to anyone interested and would first consider offers for all of the tapes vs parceling them out one by one. I am located midway between Los Angeles and Palm Springs and would be glad to demo any of the tapes and the ATR. Interested parties can contact me through this forum, or email: tape@nym.hush.com, or may telephone me at 1.949.354.4848.

Some may wonder why I would make such a significant investment in audio equipment and then fail to use it. Unfortunately I have a serious medical condition that worsened shortly after I received the ATR and I simply lost interest in audio and a lot of other things for several years. Recently a new medical treatment has resulted in improvement and, as I am "coming back to life", I have reevaluated my audio system, setting up a new audio computer and file server with new Burmester amps and preamp, and replaced all my cables as well as bringing the Kuzma XL back into use. The whole tape issue no longer fits my present interests and circumstances so the equipment and tapes need to go.

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
See PM. Thanks, Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing