Amp Kaputzkee

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Prior post reminds me that I need to ask about my 201 amp. Stopped working a few weeks ago. Fortunately I had invested in a spare some years ago (sound of hand patting self on back :)) so no interruption of enjoyment. Question is whether it's repairable? It is one of the newer (a relative term at this point) taller, rounded front units. Amp clicks when the power cord is attached and when the fuze is removed and then replaced. Front panel lights up and all functions are fine. Connectors are all solid, but I just get no sound through the speakers. Subbing in the spare and everything works, so it's not the towers. Any suggestions? I did blow this thing up a few years ago (well, maybe more than a few) and Cullen Circuits fixed it for me, but I don't think they're around anymore. Though my electronics skills are limited to running circuits in my house, anything that I could look for inside the chassis?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear this. But good thing you have a spare. Did you get a local technician to check if it's not something simple like a blown input board? If the remote functions work, you're lucky. That circuit board is impossible to repair because the logic parts are no longer available, and even if they were, the programming was lost with the collapse of the previous Genesis Technologies. Unfortunately, as we didn't get schematics from the old company either, repair is a systematic process of stabbing in the dark and seeing if something hits.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Thanks for the reply Gary. I have not had it looked at yet. The spare rather reduces the urgency :) There is a former krell guy local to me who does ad hoc repairs as a retirement supplement. I'll give it to him to take a look.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Tech is good, though not the speediest chap in the world (though it took me a while to deliver it to him). It 'appears' that the logic circuits work just fine but the high voltage power supply is kaput (maybe fried by a nearby lightning strike?). He thinks it may be a fairly simple repair, but we shall see.

Gary, is there anything you might recommend me asking him to do - replace caps, for example?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Replacing the caps should be part of the repair if the high voltage power supply is kaput.

In that old G2000 amp, you could probably get him to upgrade the high voltage power supply by using larger capacity caps - I recommended this to another owner, and they managed to find taller caps with the same diameter to fit.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Appears that it was just a bad relay, so am hopeful for more years on the old girl. Most helpful to have a good amp tech locally. Thanks for you assistance Gary.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
One of my G2000 amps developed a nasty buzz. Still 'works' but clearly a problem. Took it to my local 'hi-end' amp guy (same one as in 2016). He replaced a bunch of caps in the power supply and now back to being good as new ..... well, maybe good as old. Once again, very happy to have a good amp tech near me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing