Think back long ago - what was your very first 2 channel set up

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
This was years ago, I was maybe 14 or 15 years old.

I started with a Zenith Receiver, a home made light organ, home made strobe light, and a pair of homemade speakers made with parts from Radio Shack, and Lafayette Electronics. The wood for the speakers and the light organ came from the home town lumber yard. The lights used in the light organ came from an old Christmas Tree light set that was "no good". I probably got the plans for the strobe light and light organ from Popular Electronics, or brought home a book from the library, I don't remember.

Actually, I remember getting a sheet of wood grain Formica from the lumber yard, and gluing it to the cabinets of the speakers.

I purchased everything with money I earned from my paper route, raking leaves, mowing lawns, and shoveling snow.

My friends thought it was really cool. My mother thought it was too loud. My father thought I was nuts. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread!! :D:D

Boy how times have changed.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Mine was when I was 19 years old and had just headed off to college after taking a year off to work and save up money. Sansui 9090-DB receiver, Technics (SL-1200 I think) turntable with a Shure cartridge (later replaced with a Grace F9E) and a set of Technics SB-7000A speakers. Later I added a Luxman cassette deck and eventually a Apt Holeman pre-amp feeding the Sansui, eventually replacing the Sansui entirely when I built myself a Hafler DH-500 kit amp. I thought I was the shizle. I sold the Sansui to my next door neighbor, but kind of miss it to this day.

Last edited:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I was 15 and it was an old Sony RTR with stereo 5X7 speakers built into the sides. I used to borrow my dads system to make RTR tapes of LP's and tape FM radio back when they used to introduce albums by playing a side or the whole album in one shot.

After that was a Sansui 2000X a pair of JBL L-25 Primas and a Garrard Z100 with a Shure V-15 3 cartridge. All from paper route cutting lawns and shoveling snow.

Rob:)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I was 17 and had just left home to make my mark on the world. Although I always loved music I didn't know a darned thing about audio, but I knew I needed something in my very, very small one-room basement apartment. So I bougth a Radio Shack Receiver with some Optimus speakers . I had that for some time and really did enjoy it.

John

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Stanton cartridge, Thorens table, Kenwood Integrated amp, Altec Lansing Valencias.

Tim

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
The first gear I purchased for myself, age ~21: Sansui AU6500 integrated with a Pio PL51 TT and a pair of Infinity floorstanders (built only a few miles from our house). In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida never sounded so good. ;-)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I unfortunately had a wonderful Pioneer SA-9500II stolen from me (it was in storage), but just came across a seller on CanuckAudioMart that has one available. It's been serviced and he claims it is in mint condition....I'm thinking about it.

John

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I started at 15 years old with a Sansui AU505 integrated amp, a Technics deck and speakers trying to mimick older friends I had with Marantz receivers and JBL speakers. Happens to be that my mother had a great collection of LPs and they came by to listen.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Mine was when I was 19 years old and had just headed off to college after taking a year off to work and save up money. Sansui 9090-DB receiver, Technics (SL-1200 I think) turntable with a Shure cartridge (later replaced with a Grace F9E) and a set of Technics SB-7000A speakers. Later I added a Luxman cassette deck and eventually a Apt Holeman pre-amp feeding the Sansui, eventually replacing the Sansui entirely when I built myself a Hafler DH-500 kit amp. I thought I was the shizle. I sold the Sansui to my next door neighbor, but kind of miss it to this day.

The 9090DB was a great receiver, lots of power and a Dolby decoder, always lusted for one...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A Pye system, consisting of a Pye turntable/integrated along with two matching Pye speakers...circa 1969 'ish. Amazingly, this system could rock with the best at the time....:cool:

dougsmith

Sep 5, 2010
Gloucester, MA
A Heathkit AA-32 stereo tube amp, which I built, a pair of homemade bass reflex speakers with 8" woofers, also built by me, and a Garrard phono player. That was around 1966 or so. I am still building things.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing