Acoustic Sounds reel-to-reel tapes are coming

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Nice to hear...would love analog master dubs from 60's and 70's. :p

Feb 16, 2015
Norway
I would also like to see some more new recordings on tape and here is one candidate. Eric Clapton`s all analog new record.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-423171...5jLA.EIaW.AeXJSw..AkAUHA.s..l.C9eT.n...QDVNBg

Recorded on a 16-track machine on two-inch analog tape, then mixed down to 1/4-inch tape, I Still Do is an instant audiophile favorite. Everything is captured in stellar analog while the two of the industry’s leading engineers—Bob Ludwig and Bernie Grundman—handled the mastering and cutting, respectively. That Warner Bros.' 45RPM 2LP set is priced affordably puts this astonishing release over the top, and then some.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
^^^
Thanks for posting
. :p

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I really want to support these projects but there are few, if any, titles that interest me due, in part, to the focus on classical. Also, I think the $450 price point is pretty high. I wonder how many titles will sell.

I echo the comments about 60s and 70s!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I really want to support these projects but there are few, if any, titles that interest me due, in part, to the focus on classical. Also, I think the $450 price point is pretty high. I wonder how many titles will sell.

$450 is the going rate it seems. That is consistent with Tape project licensed titles.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Agreed. It is just a high price point unless you can get a favorite album. I understand that the licensing fees and production costs can be high and drive the price up. Just wish it wasn't as high.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
the Tape Project had a couple of significant price adjustments before they landed @450
but this is what we see whenever "the establishment" gets involved in "new markets", not that I blame them......

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013

There are a few from the list that i am interested in (webster, masekela, power of the orch) but many that i will pass on.
I'm a bit surprised as the demo tapes that AS used at AXPONA when they announced the tapes would be coming, had a solid mix of jazz/pop/blues and no classical that i remember. Will wait to see what the reel/packaging quality is like before weighing in on the pricing.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Agreed. It is just a high price point unless you can get a favorite album. I understand that the licensing fees and production costs can be high and drive the price up. Just wish it wasn't as high.

When you consider that a new vinyl record from the Electric Recording Company costs more than one of these new open reel titles - and those records apparently still sell OK at 450 euros - it puts it into perspective (well at least sort of)!

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
The price I agree is high but I also agree that it's the combination of the price and titles offered that is the issue, for me. There are some titles I would pay $450 for. But none of what's offered are in that category for me.

The couple of Tape Project tapes I got were terrific and I've really enjoyed having them. But the big bucks have to be reserved for things I will listen to repeatedly.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I thought the title list was a bit boring. I'd rather get something, somewhat, new to me, as opposed to well played out. That or just toss it up a bit...

Not that I'll be buying them. Someday I'll probably have a RTR machine and pay more inflated prices for used copies of these :eek:

However I wonder why they didn't consider doing a sign up, to adjust the price for the amount of subscribers? They shouldn't be free, but they aren't the only ones to do this and others have charged a lot less.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I thought the title list was a bit boring. I'd rather get something, somewhat, new to me, as opposed to well played out. That or just toss it up a bit...

Not that I'll be buying them. Someday I'll probably have a RTR machine and pay more inflated prices for used copies of these :eek:

However I wonder why they didn't consider doing a sign up, to adjust the price for the amount of subscribers? They shouldn't be free, but they aren't the only ones to do this and others have charged a lot less.

Who else is selling 15 ips reels for "a lot less?"

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Did anyone talk to Chad at Axpona? I stopped by several times but he was not there.

Yes. As always, the Analog Tape titles come down to which albums Chad can license for release in that format.

"I spoke with Chad Kassem about his planned Analog Tape series. In addition to researching his catalog of Analogue Productions releases, the next step will be discussion with the record labels to see which albums can be licensed for release on Analog Tape. Analog Tape fans will be anxiously awaiting word of the first titles in this series scheduled for release later in 2016."

http://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/report-axpona-2016/

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
Did the new Revox reel to reel machine make it to RMAF or was it not covered in the press yet. If not any news?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Did the new Revox reel to reel machine make it to RMAF or was it not covered in the press yet. If not any news?

Don't think it made it to RMAF. I believe it was scheduled to debut there. Hopefully it is still on schedule for early next year.

Larry

RoadDawgWest

May 10, 2016
SoCal
I purchased the first two Ultra tapes from Acoustic Sounds, and enjoyed both. After reading the review in Positive Feedback they stated the tapes, Janis Ian and Ben Webster both included "test tones for optimizing tape head alignment." I did not recall any test tones on either tape. Put the Ben Webster on tonight, and sure enough no test tones. Anyone else have either tape, and does it include the test tones?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing